Author Topic: Carrie mango tree help! SOS  (Read 1284 times)

RGVgardener

• Harlingen zone 9b
    • View Profile
Carrie mango tree help! SOS
« on: November 10, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »

Hi all,
I recently purchased a number of mangoes from Top Tropicals, they did a very nice job of packing them and they all looked very good on arrival, pretty much are all looking good at this point as well, except for one - the Carrie! The leaves are all turning crinkly and dead feeling, and the stem also seems to be getting wrinkled. It was treated the same as the others and so I'm not sure why this one is looking so bad. Any suggestions? I am in zone 9b in South Texas, we are getting a bit of a cold snap currently, but this started happening before it even got cold, and it has not yet gone below 50 degrees F. All of the mangoes I have except 2 that are in the ground are currently huddling up in the garage with a space heater.

Thanks!

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Carrie mango tree help! SOS
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 07:17:29 PM »
I had this happen to my keitt out of the blue. I still haven’t gotten a credible answer as to why. I’ll be interested to see if anyone offers insight

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 01:35:27 AM »
They hate the cold......I have several.....they all go crinkly brown in the winter.(antherose /spelt like that)......they dont like wet feet in the slightest and you are best not to feed with chemical ferts.....organic is best for them........fish and seaweed liquid is good and foliar feed too.........in winter keep them on the dry side and out of cold winds........they love the summer heat............good pruning helps....
there is a vid on you tube giving advice on pruning "How to prune a mango".......search for that and you will see a pic of a african guy with glasses i think.........they are an orchard in tanzania or similar....about 10 mins long..........watch that.....it takes a while to get interesting but it shows you how to prune and train a mango for max yield.......i have been following this method with all my trees.......I will see if i can find it....very cool vid and system !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1AnvNa6mc
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:37:17 AM by laidbackdood »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 10:40:59 AM »
Bummer. I assume it had sufficient water?
Jeff  :-)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
Heeere we gooooo...

I do buy stuff from them as they get a lot of very hard to find stuff, like the Mexican Mangosteen I just got.

But - The very first thing I do is quarantine their trees.  I put them aside and treat them with Imidacloprid systemic style.  I've walked their nursery, and find pests of all kinds on their trees.

Lowes is the best place to get it - don't bother shopping around, they have the best price.  https://www.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVANCED-32-fl-oz-Fruit-Citrus-and-Vegetable-Insect-Control/3170999  You're not going to get fruit from the tree for 2 years anyway, so just treat it to be safe.  Repot or plant if necessary.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BAYER-ADVANCED-32-fl-oz-Fruit-Citrus-and-Vegetable-Insect-Control/3170999
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

RGVgardener

• Harlingen zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 11:55:32 AM »
It had plenty of water. If anything it might have gotten a little too much as it rained a few times.
The only thing is it's the only one with the issue currently.