Author Topic: Springtails in the greenhouse  (Read 372 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Springtails in the greenhouse
« on: July 14, 2023, 06:11:32 PM »
The floor is teaming with them, apparently they like my freshly added mulch and compost, i just watered today and they float up to the surface when watering.
Red on the net that they are a singh of an overly damp soil, is that true? My soil is not overly damp, from what i can tell, its just normally moist by my observations, i try to not overwater, are they in such a boom in their population becouse of a too moist of a soil, or are they just loving the environment and the loads of decaying organic matter and living in there, no mather of the soil's moisture?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 06:15:15 PM by Plantinyum »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Springtails in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 06:21:43 PM »
I get springtails in my worm bins all the time. They are decomposers, helping the worms with their job of turning my kitchen waste into nutritious "worm compost" for my greenhouse.
My worm bins are not overly wet either. Your springtails have probably moved in because they have discovered some food source. Totally harmless little guys. As a matter of fact, they are tiny super-heroes, actually having the ability to break down pesticides like DDT.

Carolyn

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 08:36:25 PM »
Ground birds will eat them up if they bother you.  Try getting a quail, partridge, chicken, etc.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 01:38:34 AM »
I do have quails in there, they are probably feasting on them, but probably cant make a dent on the population. No i dont want to eradicate them, i red that they are decomposers so they are totally wellcomed in there. Ive had them last year also, but this year they are so much stronger, they make almost a white film on the top of the water, when i water the plants.
I was interested if they indicate a wet soil, as i am constantly wondering if i am watering too much or too little.

I should say that the soil in the greenhouse has been changing for the better, i have a strong earth worm popullation now along with the springtails, a living soil is what ive being aiming towards.
Good to know that they have the ability to brake down pesticides, as i sometimes use such ,when a pest of some kind shows up. Btw mine are the white type of springtails.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 11:37:11 AM »
Btw mine are the white type of springtails.

I think that's just the first or second instar, they will probably look different when they reach full adult size.

I noticed the little white springtail larva/nymphs every time I watered earlier in the year, but now those are gone and I see the adults (though far, far fewer... I think other bugs feasted on them). Here's what the adults look like for the little white ones I had:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk