Author Topic: Are figs better off to grow in the tropics??  (Read 2922 times)

SouthOfBorneo

• Banten, Java Island, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Are figs better off to grow in the tropics??
« on: July 13, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »
Not in the plain sense, but grafted into certain Australian sandpaper fig rootstock. Referring to this thread: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18620.0

And this paper:
http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1925-vol-38/92-97_Mowry.pdf

I'm 99% certain that it is F. opposita as anthony davies said since he had first hand experience grafting and experiencing abundant yield year round.

In my country, Indonesia, F. racemosa grows wild and seedlings are sold as rootstock for a kind of green fig grown abundantly here called "Green Jordan" variety. I talked to one of fig tree vendor and he said that when grafted into F. racemosa which is synonymous to glomerata in the paper, the fig grows at faster rate. Also in the paper, the mystery fig did even much better than glomerata.

Assuming that the correct species is opposita, wouldn't it be a huge commercial prospect for us folks living in the tropics?? Exporting warm weather varieties into Mediterranean and Middle Eastern countries?? Sounds too good to be true??

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Re: Are figs better off to grow in the tropics??
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »
The fruiting part of the tree would still have issues with humidity if it’s one of those varieties that suffers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:40:18 PM by Ulfr »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:32:05 PM »
There are a couple of dozen wild fig species in my district and Ficus racemose and ficus opposita are 2 of the most common.F.racemosa doesn't look like suitable or closely related to the domestic fig.F.opposita is closer and one of quite a few sandpaper figs that range from chilly Victoria to oppressively hot Northern Territory and the Kimberlies including dry inland areas.Who know if various sandpaper figs could be selected as rootstocks in various climates.Maybe they can.

SouthOfBorneo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:33:07 AM »
There are a couple of dozen wild fig species in my district and Ficus racemose and ficus opposita are 2 of the most common.F.racemosa doesn't look like suitable or closely related to the domestic fig.F.opposita is closer and one of quite a few sandpaper figs that range from chilly Victoria to oppressively hot Northern Territory and the Kimberlies including dry inland areas.Who know if various sandpaper figs could be selected as rootstocks in various climates.Maybe they can.
How does the humidity in Cairns like Mike?? I remember in the previous topic about fig rootstock, someone made a remark on how his fig (brown turkey) if I'm not wrong has done tremendously good, also in Queensland (he said tropical Australia). I'm looking forward for this. Maybe I can buy some cuttins from you  ;)

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »
The fruiting part of the tree would still have issues with humidity.

i am in New Orleans, and several figs do very well here
(we have very high humidity most of the year)
try the LSU varieties (several types, purple, gold,  Tiger) and Scott’s Black.

2 best for the South IMO
 Improved celeste is the best grower, vigorous and productive
 Texas Everbearing   also known as Brown Turkey

they have  shallow root systems, so deep loose soils
and lots of mulch and organic matter in the soil definitely help.

the one thing i would say, is if the soil is consistently moist during early fruiting
they could drop the fruit. the soil needs to dry out a bit from time to time in spring.

LSU Ag.
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/nr/rdonlyres/df265b8b-0138-4ece-a802-632290253e87/38103/pub1529figs.pdf

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/69df3014-f313-4784-afeb-eaac4125406e/61881/pub3018louisianafigshighres.pdf

https://mountainfigs.net/2016/11/10/lsu-figs/

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »
And for God sakes, do not forget the Smith for that beats out most everything in the taste dept. and in Louisiana is loved by most. A true heirloom fig!

SouthOfBorneo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
Here in Indonesia we have a variety called Green Jordan. People call it "local" strain of fig as this strain arrived long ago, probably no clue of what this called in international community (maybe I just don't research enough). It has been well known by fig nurseries here (there are lots of nurseries here but no orchard) that this is especially a "beginner variety" for those wanting to grow fig. So I guess a F. opposita rootstock would make it darn perfect here  ;D

SouthOfBorneo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »
Btw I just remembered that figs usually go dormant in climates with winter. Are these dormant times imperative?? Will it damage the tree for the long time if grown as evergreen?

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
And for God sakes, do not forget the Smith for that beats out most everything in the taste dept. and in Louisiana is loved by most. A true heirloom fig!

Smith in LA (high humidity) = great

Smith in AZ (low humidity) = poor producer.

Some figs like Smith are well-adapated to high humidity. Some figs like a Mediterranean climite, low humidity.

I have a several year old Smith tree. Smith in my environment produces excellent figs about 25% of the time. The other 75% of the figs are either bland / tasteless (cardboard) or completely dried out around the ostiole.
- Mark

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 04:04:55 PM »

Smith in LA (high humidity) = great

Smith in AZ (low humidity) = poor producer.

Some figs like Smith are well-adapated to high humidity. Some figs like a Mediterranean climite, low humidity.

I have a several year old Smith tree. Smith in my environment produces excellent figs about 25% of the time. The other 75% of the figs are either bland / tasteless (cardboard) or completely dried out around the ostiole.

thanks, i will have to try and find a Smith.
i have 3 un-named, or mis-named. (one might be Smith)
1 is excellent. lots of fruit, taste great, no idea what it is.

i have a Black Mission, and i think its too humid for it.
it grows OK, but produces little.

this is the un-named, excellent fruit.
it gets larger and dark just before ripening.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 04:27:06 PM »
Check out Ourfigs.com... Several members there have fig farms in Thailand...so yes certain varieties do extremely well there.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

SouthOfBorneo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 05:20:18 AM »
Yea I read about figs in Thailand, one of the threads has Batagglia fig, which makes me think that probably this variety is the one that is spread widely in Indonesia. Anyone can confirm about Batagglia?? What condition do they thrive in the U.S. or Europe??

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 03:34:06 AM »
"Col Littmans Black Cross" fig from Tallahasee, FL is aanother supposedly excellent high humidity fig!