Author Topic: Loquat grafing on quince  (Read 3733 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat grafing on quince
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2021, 11:03:37 AM »
Nice Kaz, is that from raintreenursery? I think that's what i read on tag!  Cool good luck with your graft's!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2021, 03:04:10 PM »
Yes, Raintree. Great prices, 5 for $18.
Thanks.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 01:34:28 PM »
Robert, just got my quince bareroot order online. I will experiment with loquat grafted on these so I can have some dwf trees of my favorite ones. Thanks for the suggestion on quince.

Hi
That Raintree deal looks like a great option - and for anybody that gets shut out there, One Green World offers the same pricing right now. My question for you - and/or Robert - fruiting vs. flowering Quince - would it matter for our purposes here? I ask because I have a few thicker scions that might be a better match to, say, a 5g potted specimen, and it seems that many local nurseries stay regularly stocked with the ornamental cultivars - but less so for the fruiting.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers, Chris

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 04:44:42 PM »
I would think that it should work grafting onto flowering quince but the only time I have tried it was years ago I grafted a fruiting variety from Edgar Valdeva onto a flowering quince and it stayed alive for about 3-years then died. I would say if you could get them cheap enough it might be worth a try.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2021, 11:29:20 PM »
Hmm - any theories about the failure of that one? Did it ever produce for you at all, or was it still too small for that?

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2021, 10:44:49 AM »
No it never got old enough to fruit! So I don't know if it was incapability with rootstock or what?

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2021, 01:57:15 AM »
Hello all, an verbal update on my grafts.
There are no dead or shriveled grafts by now,there are no off colored ones which would be an indicator of a problem of some sorts.
Not a single one has awakened by now as far as I know, thought on the ones that are not tip growths ,the remaining parts of the petioles I had cut have yellowed and separated grom the grafted part.
I think this is a good singh that the graft sucked back the energy from a useless part ....
Anyone could tell me when should I expect any movement to them, I guess any day soon.....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2021, 10:31:07 AM »
Update, nothing !! Still not a single one of the grafts have started pushing, they are all green however, no casualties as of now ....
The seedlings that I topped have started to branch out nicely, the growth is still insubstantial.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:39:40 AM by Plantinyum »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »
Update, one fail till now ,the others are still green and I unwrapped their top buds since 5-6 of them began growing.
I am now wondering if I should slowly star introducing the ones that have started to grow to more light. Now they are in the shade with no direct sun.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2021, 07:16:40 PM »
I put my trees under about 30% shade cloth then after they push new growth I slowly acclimate them the full sun slowly, first days about half full sun for 4hrs then within a week to full sun. ;)

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2021, 12:15:39 AM »
I put my trees under about 30% shade cloth then after they push new growth I slowly acclimate them the full sun slowly, first days about half full sun for 4hrs then within a week to full sun. ;)
thanks ,I will do that. We are expecting some hot days the coming week so may keep them in a more shady setting till is passes ..