Author Topic: CLIMBING BLUEBERRY (Billardiera longiflora)  (Read 3168 times)

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
CLIMBING BLUEBERRY (Billardiera longiflora)
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »
Any one have CLIMBING BLUEBERRY (Billardiera longiflora)?

How big does the bush or vine get get?

Does it really taste like apple?

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: CLIMBING BLUEBERRY (Billardiera longiflora)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:22:57 PM »
Hi natural,

have you ever heard the euphemism 'tired and emotional' used to describe somebody who is completely tanked?

Well, the euphemisms 'purple apple berry' and 'climbing blueberry' are far, far more linguistically generous than that one will ever be.

In a word, no; it doesn't taste anything like apple or blueberry. The consistency is somewhat like apple.

This is a Tasmanian species which is mostly ornamental. Yes, you can eat it--the question is, would you really want to? They have a mealy turpy taste which can be acrid. I believe they are cooked more than they are eaten fresh.

s
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:43:03 AM »
I've tried growing the apple berry and the blue variety. I have not tried the fruit yet. Now I only have one of the appleberry left of Billardiera scandens. It had a few fruits the first year but it hasn't produced fruit since then. It's a small skinny vine.

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »
We had a Billardiera at the botanical garden (forget which sp.) It was a small wiry vine. I tried  the fruit once; I recall that the flavor was okay, but the flesh-to-seed ration was the main drawback.

Still, they would be an interesting plant in the right spot. I suspect there may be better quality clones in Australia somewhere.