Author Topic: FOR SALE: SURINAM CHERRY SEEDS- BRIGHT COLOR - NOT MUCH AFTERTASTE  (Read 15587 times)

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Hi Friends,

My Surinam Cherry tree finally ripened around two dozen fruits and I thought someone here might be interested in seeds.

I am proud to say that this Surinam Cherry does not have much resin aftertaste, the unripe fruits taste a bit like tomato's and the ripe ones are a lot like honey.

Some of the fruits from this tree have no aftertaste but I cannot say that all fruits don't have an aftertaste.

Around 50% of the seeds are polyembronic.

$1.00 for three seeds.

Jackson

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: FOR SALE: SURINAM CHERRY SEEDS- BRIGHT COLOR - NOT MUCH AFTERTASTE
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »
They taste like honey???

How do you know 50% are polyembryonic?
- Rob

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:54:20 AM »
Hi Friends,

My Surinam Cherry tree finally ripened around two dozen fruits and I thought someone here might be interested in seeds.

I am proud to say that this Surinam Cherry does not have much resin aftertaste, the unripe fruits taste a bit like tomato's and the ripe ones are a lot like honey.

Some of the fruits from this tree have no aftertaste but I cannot say that all fruits don't have an aftertaste.

$1.00 for three seeds.

Is your bright red, orange, purple or black when fully ripe Jack?
Adam got me on a surinam collection addiction so your sound unique enough to add, can you provide a fruit foto would help me.  Here is my blackstar & zill black surinam in my hand left to right Both are quite delicious & top in my flavor profile ripen a month or so ago.

If anyone have superior quality in any color I am interest for my breeding.  If you have the rare yellow surinam I have heard rumor about please pm me for sale or trade; we are talking about yellow surinam that ripe to a yellow color and its not that pintangutuba eugenia name change to selloi as Adam has pointed out in a thread.
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 12:22:26 PM »
They taste like honey???

How do you know 50% are polyembryonic?
Hi Rob,

They taste a lot like honey, but there is still a little bit of resin aftertaste.

I do not know that 50% are polyembronic, but it is something close to that because when I eat the fruits there are quite a few that are polyembronic, but also a few that are just normal.

Jackson

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
Hi Friends,

$1.00 for three seeds.

Is your bright red, orange, purple or black when fully ripe Jack?
Adam got me on a surinam collection addiction so your sound unique enough to add, can you provide a fruit foto would help me.  Here is my blackstar & zill black surinam in my hand left to right Both are quite delicious & top in my flavor profile ripen a month or so ago.

If anyone have superior quality in any color I am interest for my breeding.  If you have the rare yellow surinam I have heard rumor about please pm me for sale or trade; we are talking about yellow surinam that ripe to a yellow color and its not that pintangutuba eugenia name change to selloi as Adam has pointed out in a thread.
Hey Jack!

Thanks for the great pics!

The color really varies on this tree, I have gotten yellow fruits, and vivid orange fruits. When I saw some yellow fruits at a nice size I thought that they were just unripe orange surinam cherries but I just slightly touched it and it fell. I took this fruit and compared it to a orange surinam and it tasted identical… not at all like the tomato flavor the unripe fruits have.

Heres some pics… sorry for the delay.

A close up of a fruit(I love my new camera).

Some fruits on the tree.

Comparing size to a decent sized longan.

Here is a polyembronic seed close up.

A few seeds from fruit I just ate.

The fruits I have gotten so far do not tend to have such pronounced shape, although it still sort of has that surinam cherry shape.

I'll post some pics of the yellow fruits when I get the chance...
Jackson

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
Are my eyes deceiving me or oare these fruits smooth and rounded?
- Rob

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »
Hi Rob,

Some of the fruits have more pronounced features but the majority(I would say about 70%) are very rounded or have very little protrusions.
Jackson

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »
Polyembryony is the phenomenon of two or more embryos developing from a single fertilized egg.  The term is used in botany to describe two seedlings emerging from one seed.  What you have there are two seeds in one fruit.  This does not mean they are polyembryonic.  I have seen this is many Surinam Cherries and the seeds easily separate and each seed germinates with one seedling.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 03:23:52 PM »
Calling Adam, Oscar, Mike T or any other experts, does this look like a true Surinam Cherry or another species/hybrid?
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »

I was thinking the same...that top picture looks so different than any of the surinams i have seen, with the ridged sides
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
Polyembryony is the phenomenon of two or more embryos developing from a single fertilized egg.  The term is used in botany to describe two seedlings emerging from one seed.  What you have there are two seeds in one fruit.  This does not mean they are polyembryonic.  I have seen this is many Surinam Cherries and the seeds easily separate and each seed germinates with one seedling.
Thanks for the information.
Jackson

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »

I was thinking the same...that top picture looks so different than any of the surinams i have seen, with the ridged sides

I have also never eaten an underripe one that tasted anything like tomato nor have I tasted any ripe ones tasted like honey.
- Rob

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »
Does anyone know if Surinam Cherry comes true to type by seed?

I wouldn't want to sell seeds of this and have customers grow them out only to find they're just a regular surinam cherry.
Jackson

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 03:56:57 PM »
Unfortunately they do not come true from seed.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 03:57:05 PM »
annonaddict,

looks like the smooth type....mark lee has some fruiting...

supposed to take the cold very well...fruits are small, smooth (not costate), leaves are more lance shaped than common pitanga.

maybe this is what u got? (they do come true to seed)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »
Hey Adam,

Your description fits perfectly... other than the fact that the fruits are not that small, the largest being the size of a large longan!
Jackson

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »
Maybe I was wrong about true from seed.

Adam - do all smooth type come true from seed?
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »

Rob,
I don't think you are not totally wrong......the common black types do show some variation when planted...but also can produce lots of seedlings that are very similar to the parent tree....so they are somewhat true.

I guess the smooth type is quite stable from seed...I've planted lots of seeds, and they all seem to have that unusually small, pointed leaf...and the fruits so far have all been the same...small, red, slightly costate to totally smooth (faint to no ridges), with a very good flavor.

supposedly this variety comes from a location with higher altitudes in Brazil...and can really handle some cold....i think the fruits are super sweet after a frost!

I have some of these seedlings....hopefully ready to fruit this year or next...my buddy has already fruited his, and really loved the flavor...but fruits are not large.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »

Rob,
I don't think you are not totally wrong......the common black types do show some variation when planted...but also can produce lots of seedlings that are very similar to the parent tree....so they are somewhat true.

I guess the smooth type is quite stable from seed...I've planted lots of seeds, and they all seem to have that unusually small, pointed leaf...and the fruits so far have all been the same...small, red, slightly costate to totally smooth (faint to no ridges), with a very good flavor.

supposedly this variety comes from a location with higher altitudes in Brazil...and can really handle some cold....i think the fruits are super sweet after a frost!

I have some of these seedlings....hopefully ready to fruit this year or next...my buddy has already fruited his, and really loved the flavor...but fruits are not large.
Wow, my tree does seem to have all of these characteristics. It does seem to like the cold too...
Jackson

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 04:11:11 PM »
Hey Adam,

Your description fits perfectly... other than the fact that the fruits are not that small, the largest being the size of a large longan!

yes...could just be my friends tree produced small fruits...I haven't really seen more than a handful of these trees fruiting (online/ or in person)...fruit size can be variable I'm sure.

Marklee has more experience with this variety than me....and being that you are in his vicinity, I bet you have the same variety at your disposal.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
Doesnt increased watering yield larger size fruit?  That is what I have found from my experience, at least.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
Doesnt increased watering yield larger size fruit?  That is what I have found from my experience, at least.

i don't know....up to a certain point I don't think it helps...I acutally put a dish underneath one of my trees...thinking it would help the fruits get fat....but the surinam cherry really seemed to hate having wet feet (for about a month)...and most of the fruits turned out small and dropped.

now that i have the tree with more drainage, the fruits have improved in size and quality.

i guess lots of water is better than drought...but flooding for too long is not good for surniam....and some specimens just make small fruits no matter what.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 11:26:51 PM »
MINIMUM ORDER--- 9 SEEDS
Jackson

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 05:06:38 AM »
Hi Friends,

$1.00 for three seeds.

You are saying some have an aftertaste others not - both ripe and from the same tree? That I have never experienced - but I understand from Adam the ecotype is different from the "common" Surinam cherry - though sounds more like environmental effect than genetic.
I don't know if anyone has tried to put a frequency to number of non-resin after-taste seedlings from a non-resin after-taste parent, but I would say grab your axe and be ready to chop trees, because it isn't good in my experience (1/5 ?).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:09:05 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
Hi Friends,

$1.00 for three seeds.

You are saying some have an aftertaste others not - both ripe and from the same tree? That I have never experienced - but I understand from Adam the ecotype is different from the "common" Surinam cherry - though sounds more like environmental effect than genetic.
I don't know if anyone has tried to put a frequency to number of non-resin after-taste seedlings from a non-resin after-taste parent, but I would say grab your axe and be ready to chop trees, because it isn't good in my experience (1/5 ?).

I have definitely noticed pitangas can be variable....actually most trees I've encountered are this way...with some fruits tasting excellent and some fruits having a mediocre taste, all from the same tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk