Author Topic: What the heck is this…?  (Read 4487 times)

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
What the heck is this…?
« on: February 14, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »
Hi Friends,

Today I acted like the peach and plum tree's and decided it was spring, so I did some spring cleaning in my greenhouse. I found a bunch of old pots with dried out soil that were about a foot to a foot and a half tall. Well, I emptied one of them and I found a seedling that looked Annonaceaeous… I looked for a seed to identify it better but there was nothing. I remember losing a bunch of poshte seeds from fruit lovers a long time ago in a bag of soil and I used the same soil for these pots so I think that might be it? Does poshte have habits look the ones of this seedling?

Here's the seedling… it's about 5.5 inches long. The white stem is about 1/8th of a millimeter thick. Click for bigger resolution.

And here are the roots, very shallow for the width and length of the stem.

Does it look or act anything like Poshte? I thought it might've been jungle sop at first but then realized that if it was I would have found the seed by now… and it would have a much larger system of roots. It is currently in the GH in the shade in a long pot with moist sterile soil. Any idea's?
Jackson

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck is this…?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
Hi Friends,

Today I acted like the peach and plum tree's and decided it was spring, so I did some spring cleaning in my greenhouse. I found a bunch of old pots with dried out soil that were about a foot to a foot and a half tall. Well, I emptied one of them and I found a seedling that looked Annonaceaeous… I looked for a seed to identify it better but there was nothing. I remember losing a bunch of poshte seeds from fruit lovers a long time ago in a bag of soil and I used the same soil for these pots so I think that might be it? Does poshte have habits look the ones of this seedling?

Here's the seedling… it's about 5.5 inches long. The white stem is about 1/8th of a millimeter thick. Click for bigger resolution.

And here are the roots, very shallow for the width and length of the stem.

Does it look or act anything like Poshte? I thought it might've been jungle sop at first but then realized that if it was I would have found the seed by now… and it would have a much larger system of roots. It is currently in the GH in the shade in a long pot with moist sterile soil. Any idea's?

A seedling in the dark gets elongated and pale; but doesn't look as a annona to me; could be wrong as my smart phone screen is tiny :-)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
A seedling in the dark gets elongated and pale; but doesn't look as a annona to me; could be wrong as my smart phone screen is tiny :-)

Oh… I was pretty sure it was Annona… I smelled it to see if it had that Annona-smell that most Annona's had… it did. I also peeked under the seeding leaves to see what the mature leaves looked like… just like the new leaves on a Cherimoya tree. But I don't know for sure… time will tell, when it is large enough it will be easy to distinguish if it is Annona or not.

Thanks,
Jackson

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »
It looks like a bean sprout that i would put in my salad.  ;)  I think you would need a plant type Sherlock Holmes to correctly identify it at this stage.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »
Magic bean... :D

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:59:56 PM »
I'll post new pics on here when it opens up the new leaves that can be identified.
Jackson

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »
Okay... I took a pic. I am pretty sure it's an Annona now... I will try to learn to use this camera and get a better picture. Sorry for blurry quality, I got a new camera and don't know how to work it very well.

Jackson

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 05:37:23 PM »
Here's a much better picture... I just looked up how to zoom and crop pictures.

Jackson

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »
Congrats, Jack. It does look like an annona.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 04:45:39 AM »
Congrats, Jack. It does look like an annona.

Indeed.!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
    • exoticke-pestovani.webnode.cz
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 06:10:39 AM »
I had a similar experience finding this very long sprout actually very deeply in soil in one of the pots I was about to discard. I put it in a small pot and after few days it turned out to be cherimoya :-) Yours looks very similar to what I had, so no doubt about it being an anona :-)
Durian & avocado lover

AnnonAddict

• Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 12:07:04 PM »
This little guy is turning out to have extremely large leaves for such a young age... not a very good root system on it either... it needs to be buried in five inches of soil to stabilize the roots. I'll try to post a pic... he looks very different than my other cherimoya seedlings in size... but if size wasn't of matter he's just a common joe cherimoya.
Jackson

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »
Here's a much better picture... I just looked up how to zoom and crop pictures.

My Annona scleroderma seedling initially was very similar  to this.
I believe that this is not Cherimoya.
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk