Author Topic: Wanted: Edible air-potato (Dioscorea bulbifera) varieties.  (Read 3432 times)

Anolis

• Florida 8b
    • View Profile
Wanted: Edible air-potato (Dioscorea bulbifera) varieties.
« on: November 01, 2019, 02:00:58 PM »
It’s bulbil time, and I’m hoping to purchase some of the edible Dioscorea bulbifera varieties. I’m in Florida, and would be thrilled if anyone would be interested in selling. Special note: I intend to grow these out for eating, so they really do need to be the non-toxic cultivated types, as I have no interest in poisoning myself ;)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Edible air-potato (Dioscorea bulbifera) varieties.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 02:13:44 PM »
I have a supposed variety of D. bulbifera that is edible. Came from a member here named Caesar. They came to me from Puerto Rico. There is a few small bulbils forming now. I have yet to attempt eating any but I bought them from him due to being an edible type. Don't look much if any different than the wild types here in FL that are toxic. I do believe him due to his interest in all things true yam. It's still a bit scary to try them though just in case. If you see this Caesar would you please let us know if in fact you yourself have eaten this type without issues of any kind. Also if you've sourced any new yam types I'll totally buy some from you. Also the leren tubers I bought didn't ever pop up after winter but I would try it again if your ever selling any. Probably got too cold for them here on my porch.

There also is a guy called Grower Jim here in FL that has an edible bulbifera type too. Maybe you could find and talk to him. He sells on eBay. He's got the one that the aerial bulbs look box like not just rounded looking. I myself would buy some if anyone out there has them and sees this. I'll contact grower Jim eventually either way. I have bought stuff from him before and he is a good seller.

Hope that info helps! DG
Trying to grow it all!

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 03:07:06 PM »
Hi Anolis! Welcome to the forum!

I do sell and trade my bulbils, bulbil formation starts about now, and final harvest is usually between December and February.

D-Grower

My yam collection (including bulbifera) has grown and keeps growing. This year has been a bit hectic, but if all goes well, I'll have some stuff available during harvest time.

As for Lerén, I have a spare plant I can send now. My recommendation is to dig up the plants as winter approaches, prune off the feeder roots, tubers and top growth, and pot them up indoors for the winter (they don't mind the shade). If there's a lot of plants, you might dry them out for a couple of days after pruning and store all the rhizomes in soil indoors. They can look a bit dead for a long time if you go for the dry-out method, but they'll eventually resprout.

Edit: My bulbiferas are edible. I've eaten them, my family's eaten them, my grandma's eaten them (I wouldn't be surprised if her dogs have eaten them). Whether hard and underripe or past their prime and bitter, we've never been poisoned. They get bigger in their second year. Pick 'em large for a tender tuber. Eat them fresh for best (potato-like) flavor.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 03:10:14 PM by Caesar »

Anolis

• Florida 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 03:32:05 PM »
Thank you, Caesar!
 I just got your helpful reply on YouTube, and have been madly searching those links. Knowing that you have actually eaten them is a relief to me, and D-Grower too, I’d imagine. I would love to buy some bulbils from you when they’re available.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:11:01 PM »
I'll keep you posted at harvest time!

I'd like to note for now that I've only had the opportunity to taste one (CV-1, the sativa). The rest are newer, growing for the first time for me, but both African types were sold to me as edible, so I won't hesitate when the time comes to taste. As for the currently dormant CV-2 (the bumpy suavior), Chandramohan sent it to me as being superior in flavor to CV-1 (which he also sent), and I fully trust his judgement.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
Glad to have confirmation they are definitely edible. Thanks for reporting your experience with them!

If you want PM me with whatever you want for the leren plant. I might have enough in PayPal to send over.

Definitely let me know too what new types you've found!
Trying to grow it all!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 06:37:22 AM »
Hello Ceasar, how are you? Please i want stone like bulbiferas. Don't forget me!   ;D

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 12:07:08 PM »
Glad to have confirmation they are definitely edible. Thanks for reporting your experience with them!

If you want PM me with whatever you want for the leren plant. I might have enough in PayPal to send over.

Done!

Hello Ceasar, how are you? Please i want stone like bulbiferas. Don't forget me!   ;D

All good! In fact, I'm waiting for yet another bulbifera in the mail. Amidst the misidentified Dioscoreas (I saw a polystachya marked as bulbifera) and the poisonous medicinal and ornamental air potatoes, I saw a single edible accession on eBay. I asked the Spanish-speaking vendor, and they confirmed that they were selling it as an edible vegetable. I quickly placed an order, and will be receiving 3 bulbils in the mail. A stone-like African strain, I'll be naming/labeling it according to its place of origin: Mexico. While the product comes from (and will be shipped from) there, the seller seems to be based in Spain. Here's the eBay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-BULBOS-DIOSCOREA-BULBIFERA-PAPA-VOLADORA-DE-AIRE-NAME-GUISOS-HUERTO-VITAMINAS/123864323804?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3D6f9dc2bce8aa43c590fdfb48df4948c7%26bu%3D44494520481%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F123864323804%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3D41a1c95016e0a9c161953b3efffc3f60&ul_noapp=true&pageci=3dce9d93-1396-4dff-aeb3-cf2a99c3c27e

If it turns out to be the same as the type from Las Cañadas (which I still haven't gotten), they might be given the same label; otherwise, I intend to label that other one (if I ever get it) with the name they sell it by: "Papa Voladora", or maybe a related name (since that seems as generic as saying "Air Potato".

For now, I'm tentatively labeling my recently acquired (and actively growing, with one bulbil) Hawaiian strain as Hawaii 2. I'm in the process of getting the original "Hawaii" strain, and if they're the same, then they'll bear the same name, though I have hope that they might be different clones, despite sharing a place of origin.

And don't worry, I won't forget you! When all is said and done, your collection should parallel my own. If I am the Yam King, as you once called me... You'll be the Grand Duke of Yam.  ;D

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 03:01:11 PM »
LOL! I like the title! It sounds great... The Grand Duke of Yam!!! YUMMY!   ;D

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 05:24:32 AM »

Done!

All good! In fact, I'm waiting for yet another bulbifera in the mail. Amidst the misidentified Dioscoreas (I saw a polystachya marked as bulbifera) and the poisonous medicinal and ornamental air potatoes, I saw a single edible accession on eBay. I asked the Spanish-speaking vendor, and they confirmed that they were selling it as an edible vegetable. I quickly placed an order, and will be receiving 3 bulbils in the mail. A stone-like African strain, I'll be naming/labeling it according to its place of origin: Mexico. While the product comes from (and will be shipped from) there, the seller seems to be based in Spain. Here's the eBay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-BULBOS-DIOSCOREA-BULBIFERA-PAPA-VOLADORA-DE-AIRE-NAME-GUISOS-HUERTO-VITAMINAS/123864323804?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3D6f9dc2bce8aa43c590fdfb48df4948c7%26bu%3D44494520481%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F123864323804%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3D41a1c95016e0a9c161953b3efffc3f60&ul_noapp=true&pageci=3dce9d93-1396-4dff-aeb3-cf2a99c3c27e

If it turns out to be the same as the type from Las Cañadas (which I still haven't gotten), they might be given the same label; otherwise, I intend to label that other one (if I ever get it) with the name they sell it by: "Papa Voladora", or maybe a related name (since that seems as generic as saying "Air Potato".

For now, I'm tentatively labeling my recently acquired (and actively growing, with one bulbil) Hawaiian strain as Hawaii 2. I'm in the process of getting the original "Hawaii" strain, and if they're the same, then they'll bear the same name, though I have hope that they might be different clones, despite sharing a place of origin.

And don't worry, I won't forget you! When all is said and done, your collection should parallel my own. If I am the Yam King, as you once called me... You'll be the Grand Duke of Yam.  ;D
Hello Ceasar! I buy from this ebay link too. Lets see if they arrive. I buy another one from Poland. They say it's edible...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vegetable-Air-Yam-Dioscorea-bulbifera-f-sativa-edible-1-large-tuber/223734238301?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 03:33:07 PM »
Hello Ceasar! I buy from this ebay link too. Lets see if they arrive. I buy another one from Poland. They say it's edible...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vegetable-Air-Yam-Dioscorea-bulbifera-f-sativa-edible-1-large-tuber/223734238301?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Interesting! I'll buy a bulbil from your vine once it bears, since the original eBay link is out of stock. They refer to it as "sativa", but that's probably just confusion over its name (since it's edible). That's undeniably an African strain, there's no Asian strain that looks like that, and true "sativa" is strictly an Asian strain, rounded, no angles. If it's nameless, do make sure to name it once it gets growing, to properly track the variety.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »

Interesting! I'll buy a bulbil from your vine once it bears, since the original eBay link is out of stock. They refer to it as "sativa", but that's probably just confusion over its name (since it's edible). That's undeniably an African strain, there's no Asian strain that looks like that, and true "sativa" is strictly an Asian strain, rounded, no angles. If it's nameless, do make sure to name it once it gets growing, to properly track the variety.
Hello Ceasar! Do you think this angle African strain are allways edible? Thank's!  ;D

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »
There are known poisonous strains among African stock (varietas "contralatrones" comes to mind, deliberately planted to foil thieves). That said, I don't think African types have naturalized anywhere, and I doubt anyone outside of Africa is deliberately planting any poisonous types (to foil thieves or otherwise). Most any African type you'll find for sale outside of Africa are likely to be edible, and I've no reason to doubt if a vendor sells an African type as edible.

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 01:37:20 AM »
Strange your african type has not produced.
All mine did make some bulbils already after 3-4 months.
It seem also much more vigorous than the asian one you sent me.

My Alata instead has grown a lot in ground this year, 3-4 meters tall.
It did make some bulbils but they stopped growing at 1-2mm, why is that?
This plant has been in pot and the aerial part was dying for quite a long time but would not resprout. I removed everything and it did finally decide to sprout again vigorously.
It's hard to see in the picture, but it goes all the way to the top climbing a guava and an elm.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 10:57:26 AM »
There are known poisonous strains among African stock (varietas "contralatrones" comes to mind, deliberately planted to foil thieves). That said, I don't think African types have naturalized anywhere, and I doubt anyone outside of Africa is deliberately planting any poisonous types (to foil thieves or otherwise). Most any African type you'll find for sale outside of Africa are likely to be edible, and I've no reason to doubt if a vendor sells an African type as edible.
Thank's! I agree with you!   ;D

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 04:06:33 PM »
I found another eBay ad that vaguely mentioned both edible and medicinal traits. When asked, they confirmed that they were selling it as an edible bulbifera (with Phytosanitary Certificate included). They seem to have plenty of stock left, so I'll be buying one soon, once I get some extra cash in the bank. Nonthaburi Yellow seems like a good name for it. It seems dark and bumpy, but smoother than most suaviors (not to mention, there are other Asian subspecies besides those two). eBay link here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulb-DIOSCOREA-BULBIFERA-Air-Potato-Yam-Herb-Plant-Phytosanitary-Certificate/401523014621?hash=item5d7ca2fbdd:g:LtEAAOxyVX1Rugy5

Strange your african type has not produced.
All mine did make some bulbils already after 3-4 months.
It seem also much more vigorous than the asian one you sent me.

My Alata instead has grown a lot in ground this year, 3-4 meters tall.
It did make some bulbils but they stopped growing at 1-2mm, why is that?
This plant has been in pot and the aerial part was dying for quite a long time but would not resprout. I removed everything and it did finally decide to sprout again vigorously.
It's hard to see in the picture, but it goes all the way to the top climbing a guava and an elm.

Hawaii 2 was actually making a bulbil before the drought nuked it to the ground, and it quickly started on a new one once it started growing again. Sena is the one that worries me a bit... Growing out of season, poor production the first time around, delayed growth and production the second time... I'm really hoping it's just a phase, while it acclimates to my hemisphere, otherwise it doesn't seem like it'll be a productive strain. The Asian ones are more vigorous from the second season onwards, and are weaker when first started from a bulbil.

Alatas also tend to make bigger bulbils a few years down the road, though they tend to be less consistent than bulbifera in that regard. My St. Vincent alata put out a pair of tubers barely bigger than large marbles. Alatas seem to focus more on rampant vine growth and tuber size than bulbil production, but some can be reliable under the right care. If allowed to grow on trees, they can reach for the sky real fast.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
I've started harvesting CV-1 bulbils, I currently have 3 off-vine, and am letting the others bulk up before plucking.

Hawaii 2 seems to have stopped bulbil-production for the time being, it only churned out the one bulbil I had promised to Luis (already plucked). Unless it bulks up one of the tiny ones remaining (dubious, at the rate they're going), I'll need another season to have more available. If you're interested, Anolis, I can send the tiny ones in with the CV-1, free (since their viability isn't guaranteed).

Sena hasn't borne anything yet, but the vines are still healthy and seemingly in active growth.

The tiny bulbil I saved from the bumpy CV-2 (before losing track of the mother tuber) has turned out viable! It's forming roots right now, and I anticipate vine formation soon. I expect plenty of bulbils next season.

The two new ones I bought from ebay have yet to arrive (the Thai one shipped out only recently, the Mexican strain has been out for a while and still hasn't gotten here). I haven't received the other new ones from my contacts yet, but if all goes well, I should have about 10 new varieties by year's end. I'll keep y'all posted.

Anolis

• Florida 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
Caesar, that sounds excellent! I’ll probably purchase two or three of the CV-1 bulbils, depending on price, and I’m definitely willing to give the smaller Hawaii 2 bulbils a go. (I’ll PM shipping info)

It sounds like you’ll be overflowing in bulbils next year. 10 varieties is incredible, I’m excited to see how they turn out for you.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »
Caesar or anyone here have the D. bulbifera edible types that have angular looking bulbils?
Trying to grow it all!

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »
I'm growing 2 types right now, and they've been frustratingly unproductive. Only 1 decently sized bulbil this season, I sent it to Luis. I got one from Stephward Estate (link here: https://www.stephward.co.za — it's unlisted, so I had to contact them by Whatsapp and hash out the deal through there). The other was sourced from a Hawaiian Website (Link here: https://www.store.hawaiiantropicalplants.com/Dioscorea-sp-Air-Potato-55-inch-square-pot-1618.htm ).

This eBay link posted further up the thread sells an edible angular type, which have already arrived in the mail for me:

I'd also like to take a moment to point out that Thai seller "GoodMice" has confirmed her strain of bulbifera as edible, and I've placed an order, hoping it'll be a different clone from my last Thai acquisition:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Dioscorea-Bulbifera-Bulbs-Thai-Herb/182952108093?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3D67fd8deff6a5471383f446598f48f013%26bu%3D44494520481%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F182952108093%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3Dfca4601616e0ac3d8911397cfff86a85&ul_noapp=true&pageci=3f2b2628-da59-4df9-8a1b-95969544693d