Author Topic: Passiflora laurifolia (Jamaican Passionfruit) cross pollinators?  (Read 1445 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Passiflora laurifolia (Jamaican Passionfruit) cross pollinators?
« on: September 08, 2019, 04:58:38 PM »
I'm getting flowers on my P. laurifolia (Jamaican passionfruit) for the first time, and am wondering what other Passifloras are compatible for pollination.  I have another genetically distinct vine of it, but it's not flowering right now.  (This is the first time it's flowered in about 6 years.)

I remember reading somewhere, but I can't find it, that it is compatible with other species, but I can't find the reference.  Anyone know?  I think I will be able to get pollen from P. alata, P. edulis, and maybe some varieties of P. caerulea.

barath

• View Profile
Re: Passiflora laurifolia (Jamaican Passionfruit) cross pollinators?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »
Ok, answering my own post, and I'm excited to see: my Jamaican Passionfruit is setting fruit.  I hand pollinated it with pollen from P. edulis (probably Frederick) flowers.

This isn't great timing as the weather is cooling down, so I don't know if it's going to ripen.  Has anyone here in California gotten P. laurifolia to fruit?  How long did it take to ripen if so?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 11:59:26 AM »
Way cool Barath, that's good to know that edulis pollen works for laurifolia, I have a small laurifolia growing but my area has been to cool for it to take off and grow bigger :(

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »
Way cool Barath, that's good to know that edulis pollen works for laurifolia, I have a small laurifolia growing but my area has been to cool for it to take off and grow bigger :(

One tip I got from someone who grows them commercially in Florida -- they do well in large containers (I have mine in a ~30 gallon container).

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »
Nice thanks for the tip! ;)

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 12:49:58 AM »
I'm excited to say that the P. laurifolia fruit ripened and I tried the first of them tonight, and it tasted like the ones I had in Hawaii in 2013 (from Yee's fruit stand in Kihei, Maui).  These plants are ones I grew from seed from those fruit I had in 2013.  I hand pollinated with P. edulis pollen.

Here are some pictures.  They taste really different from other passionfruit -- sort of like a floral / tropical peach aroma with the usual passionfruit pulp texture, but with very soft and mild tasting seeds.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 11:27:59 AM »
Way to go Barath, that give's me hope for my plant flowering and fruiting some day. Mine has grown up through a edulis vine so hopefully. 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk