Author Topic: Leopard Skin Chempadak  (Read 8952 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Leopard Skin Chempadak
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »
I have to declare the twisted chempedak the chempa champ for this neck of the woods. The leopard skin is also excellent and without a doubt superior to all others I have had locally and in SE Asia.The twisted chempedak really should be grown more widely and few jacks are in the same class.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »
Volunteer fruit eaters who are artocarpus savy helped consume the 2 chempedak last night.There were extemely positive comments for both with the twisted yellow being the stand out.People who had not seen it before were surprised at the bulb and seed size being larger than most jacks and also that the flavor was so pleasant and different from most chempas.One person suggested it was just a tabouey jack until they tried it.Today I might cook and try the seeds of the leopard skin and twisted chempas.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
Those both look so tasty.  Any idea which is more cold hardy?

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »
wow those are huge pods!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 10:30:03 PM »
The aroma is very strong but pleasant.As only one person has these 2 types and they have not been spread around or tested for cold tolerance I have no idea how cold hardy they would be.I understand chempedak grow alright in Brisbane Qld so should be ok in much of southern Florida.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »
The aroma is very strong but pleasant.As only one person has these 2 types and they have not been spread around or tested for cold tolerance I have no idea how cold hardy they would be.I understand chempedak grow alright in Brisbane Qld so should be ok in much of southern Florida.

Well yes, according to you Mike mangosteens and durians should grow quite well in S. Flordia also.  ;)
The down side of chempadek is that most of the ones i've grown are a lot slower growing, a lot less vigorous, and also a lot more fickle. I bet the mere sight of limestone soils would make them wilt and croak.  ;) There may very well be more vigorous genepool out there as we have a very poor selection right now in USA.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 08:39:59 AM »
Oscar I grew some seedling of these 2 last year and they kept pace with jackfruit seedlings until I gave them away.Some mangosteen and durian clones would have a shot at handling the weather but I don't know about the soils.I would be more confident of Chempedak handling the climate.