Author Topic: A very good Rollinia  (Read 3076 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
A very good Rollinia
« on: July 01, 2018, 06:25:47 AM »
Annona mucosa doesn't seem to be catching on in the marketplace or on the farm with Rollinia deliciosa being the identity of preference. Surely people don't prefer delicious over mucous. Anyway in Australia they have been popular for a long time and each farm that grows them seems to have a few preferred selections. Inside they vary a bit in how firm they are, how seedy they are, how mucousy they are and the taste varies a little as well. Some are a little sweeter at the same stage of ripeness and some have a more pronounced lemony tang. They vary quite dramatically on the outside ranging from completely smooth to like sputniks and the segment size vary a good deal as well.

The commercial selections are the firmer and better tasting types which are more productive on smaller trees. I sure have eaten plenty of them before and last week I tried one of the best with a rich lemony taste and firm flesh. This selection reaches 4kg and is very productive.

It may look green but this is the stage I like to eat them at.

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Re: A very good Rollinia
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
Annona mucosa doesn't seem to be catching on in the marketplace or on the farm with Rollinia deliciosa being the identity of preference. Surely people don't prefer delicious over mucous. Anyway in Australia they have been popular for a long time and each farm that grows them seems to have a few preferred selections. Inside they vary a bit in how firm they are, how seedy they are, how mucousy they are and the taste varies a little as well. Some are a little sweeter at the same stage of ripeness and some have a more pronounced lemony tang. They vary quite dramatically on the outside ranging from completely smooth to like sputniks and the segment size vary a good deal as well.

The commercial selections are the firmer and better tasting types which are more productive on smaller trees. I sure have eaten plenty of them before and last week I tried one of the best with a rich lemony taste and firm flesh. This selection reaches 4kg and is very productive.

Shouldn't it be that they DO prefer delicious over mucous?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 08:11:48 AM »

Mike, I would like to buy some seeds.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »
Biriba is in season here now too.  Yes, lemony tangy yogurt.
This fruit could be much more commercial if it wasn’t so delicate, if it didn’t start to lose quality so quickly after picking.
Peter

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:27:36 AM »
What sort of shelf life do Rollinia Fruits have?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »
Love biriba, but I think some people object to the consistency. I find it to be reminiscent of either apple pie or yogurt. Similar flavor and texture.
Jeff  :-)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 05:47:45 PM »
i'm wondering if rolinia can be cross pollinated with soursop?  rolinia(mushy) + soursop(tough fiber}= result= less fiber ,less much fruit?

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 08:24:19 AM »
Hi Mike that's a huge Fruit! whats the production of the Tree and how old is it, the leaves are similar , but not as long as a Tree I'm trying to Identified.
Carcarlos

Fruit Monster

• Australia, Eastern Seaboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 07:33:22 PM »

Shouldn't it be that they DO prefer delicious over mucous?

Hi Mike.

Are they seedling trees in this orchard? Some Rollinia trees I've seen have been giant in size. You mentioned selecting for smaller size trees. How big are the trees this fruits growing on?

Cheers!

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 07:50:18 PM »
Question on pollination. What is the chance, if not hand pollinated, Rollinia will reliably produce a fruit?
My tree is blooming now and it is the only tree in my garden. Should I let it be and see if I get a fruit(s)? Not looking for many fruits, a couple on a young tree is plenty.

Thank you!
Zone Pusher

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 02:50:44 AM »
I think it depends on the tree. I had a seedling tree that produced fruit without any hand pollenation. It was on a 4 wire espallier with 12m of main cordons. Usually 2 crops a year, 20 fruit in the summer maybe 6 in the winter. Fruit set always happened in warm humid conditions.
Rob

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 09:49:56 AM »
I think it depends on the tree. I had a seedling tree that produced fruit without any hand pollenation. It was on a 4 wire espallier with 12m of main cordons. Usually 2 crops a year, 20 fruit in the summer maybe 6 in the winter. Fruit set always happened in warm humid conditions.
Rob

Thank you!
Zone Pusher

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 10:05:21 PM »
They usually flower for one or two years before the tree is robust enough to actually fruit.
Har

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 07:10:22 AM »
Rob you write in the past tense, what happened to your tree. I have one similar age to your espaliered tree which is now holding about 35 fruits. Not sure what i’ll do with them all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk