Author Topic: How to get rid of peach tree leaf spot?  (Read 2453 times)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
How to get rid of peach tree leaf spot?
« on: June 20, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »
My peach tree has leaf spot really bad. I have tried spraying organic copper on it which seems to work for a couple days but then it just comes right back. I have also heard that copper should not be used on peach trees..which I just learned.

So my question is what do you guys recommend for leaf spot on a peach tree. Organic options would be awesome.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of peach tree leaf spot?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 08:34:04 PM »
Do you have a low chill type? Are the old leaves getting this before they drop or new leaves?

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:12 PM »
Yes it is a low chill type. The new leaves are getting it maybe a week or so after forming, whenever the leaf almost gets to its full size. Every leaf on the tree has it. Unless it is super new growth.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
Can you snap a picture?
Peaches are very heavy feeders and love fertilizer.
What are you using for fertilizer?
Do you have a well or city water?

In the past I have used 10-10-10 Diamond R fertilizer with micros and
my peaches were very green and seemed happy. It turns out I had heavy salt
in my well water and it didn't seem to bother the peaches? Now I am using
manures and spraying with miracle grow every 2 weeks and the peaches seem
happy. in both regimens I was giving the peaches plenty of micros. 

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »
I usually fertilize it 3 or so times a year with 10-10-10 Diamond as well.

I am on city water but it usually gets irrigation water and rain water.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:18:22 AM »
The leaf spot is really stunting its growth. I have had this tree 3 years now and you can see how small it is. It has maybe grown a foot or so since I have had it... The leaves turn yellow and then fall off.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:34:48 PM »
I would fertilize every other week with a pound of fertilizer.
The heavy rains could wash it away but keep fertilizing. A pound is not
a lot and put the fertilizer in a circle away from the trunk. That peach tree is starving
to death.  Peaches are HEAVY feeders. If you have miracle grow drench the roots once
a week. Diamond R 10-10-10 is only around $15 for 50 lbs.  Diamond R also sells a 25 lb water soluble
bag of 20-20-20 with micros for around $30. It's basically miracle grow. Also water at least 3
times a week.  It probably didn't flower or fruit because it didn't have the strength? Do you
go to the Diamond R in LaBelle? I knew a guy who got young newly grafted peach trees and
with Diamond R 10-10-10 and pond water his tree's trunks were bigger then my thigh in 2 years
and were 8' tall.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
Yeah it flowered and fruited, but the fruit fell off. And it gets plenty of water, especially this time of year. But during the winter times It gets watered 3 or 4 times a week.

Ill start fertilizing it a lot more and hopefully that helps. But I dont think it will help with the leaf spot.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:23:14 PM by chad6159 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »
If the tree has the adequate amount of nutrients it will start to flush new leaves.
Those leaves will be green, hopefully the tree will have a growth spurt this year.
You have 2-3 months left. I would use the miracle grow also.  I don't think you can
over fertilize a peach tree. With the rainy season upon us one good rain and the
fertilizer is gone. Maybe do the granular one week and the root drench the next.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 03:54:29 PM »
It is putting on new leaves now, but once they reach full size they start getting the spots on them.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 08:43:34 AM »
I fertilized the tree last night. Hopefully she starts growing and shakes this leaf spot. Do you guys think I should start spraying again with copper or get something else? If something else, what should I use?

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 06:30:16 PM »
I would fertilize every other week with a pound of fertilizer.
The heavy rains could wash it away but keep fertilizing. A pound is not
a lot and put the fertilizer in a circle away from the trunk. That peach tree is starving
to death.  Peaches are HEAVY feeders. If you have miracle grow drench the roots once
a week. Diamond R 10-10-10 is only around $15 for 50 lbs.  Diamond R also sells a 25 lb water soluble
bag of 20-20-20 with micros for around $30. It's basically miracle grow. Also water at least 3
times a week.  It probably didn't flower or fruit because it didn't have the strength? Do you
go to the Diamond R in LaBelle? I knew a guy who got young newly grafted peach trees and
with Diamond R 10-10-10 and pond water his tree's trunks were bigger then my thigh in 2 years
and were 8' tall.

OP - not to take over your thread but I want to thank Achetadomestica for the info on peaches being heavy feeders.  I have a three year old (in ground 1 year) Florida Prince peach.  I started a heavy fertilizer regiment after reading the posts on this thread and the tree has virtually doubled in size.  The leaves have gone from a lighter green to a beautiful dark green color.  The growth on that thing is nothing short of amazing coming close to doubling in size.  I appreciate the tip.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
Looks like shot hole fungus to me. 

My nectarine has an ongoing battle with it.  Sprayed with immunox a couple of times and neem oil a couple of times last year and that seemed to help this year.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:31:29 PM by SonnyCrockett »

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 04:17:05 PM »
Straight up 10-10-10 often doesn't have micros.  Does the one you're using?

I have really found that regular citrus fertilizer with full micros works well.  Yes, they like their fertilizer, but not all at once.  They are subject to root burn.  I find lighter, more frequent feedings work best.

Here are my peaches, which were just put in the ground to replace the trees Irma killed.  They've only been in the ground around 6 months.

2 questions - One, peaches do NOT like wet feet.  Is that spot well drained?  2. Which peach tree is it?  You say low chill, but how many hours required, and how many do you receive every year?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:18:39 PM by Coach62 »
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce