Author Topic: (American) Persimmon pest(?)  (Read 1120 times)

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
(American) Persimmon pest(?)
« on: July 15, 2020, 11:48:07 PM »
I had recently got a Meader persimmon. Later that day I went outside at night and I saw this red beetle-like insect(not a ladybug) eating the tree(there were a few more but I shooed them off). (see image)
does anyone recognize this insect? Is it a pest? if yes, what countermeasures can I take?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: (American) Persimmon pest(?)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 11:59:30 PM »
Yes, looks like Serica fimbriata. If you had a guava or anything closely related you would have nothing but bare branches, but they prey on avocado, persimmon, and apple too.

The worst part is that they lay their larvae in the ground to feed on the roots of the trees they defoliate leading to a cycle of stunting that is very difficult to break.

This year I was able to do some damage to them by spreading worm castings under the trees they feed most heavily on. This seems to break the cycle because the worm castings contain chitinase, an enzyme which breaks down insect exoskeletons.

I'm likely going to have to apply it regularly to see lasting results, but I'd strongly recommend you try it. There's no product in my state which is registered against this pest and actually stands a chance of making a difference.

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 12:33:31 AM »
Thanks for letting me know I'm not overreacting! Looking further into Serica Fimbriata, I've found out it's a species of a genus of May/June beetles, and there is a commercial spray called "Sevin" that kills/Keeps away May/June beetles. The main concern I have is I've already placed mulch and I am not very willing to move it add the earthworm castings.   

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 02:58:29 AM »
I would put the castings right on top, and water them in, the castings will make their way through coarse mulch, but they won't make their way through fines or through leaf mulch. They may leave some dark residue on top, but they're quite effective, and in the worst case, you can always add more mulch on top.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 01:24:18 PM »
I wouldn't spray sevin, it's a persimmon , and should do fine growing back.
OOILIE THat is interesting about worm castings

Otherwise About Japanese Beetles that come up under the tree people use Milky spore to kill off the young.
(edit Milky spore in the soil)

Edit just a Wikipedia Link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_spore
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:32:04 PM by Francis_Eric »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 11:56:35 AM »
I had heard of milky spore in the past, but worm castings were somewhat easier to procure during the lockdown.

I would not hesitate to try milky spore, but worm castings alone made a marked impact, so much so that I would highly recommend everyone who sees these beetles to attempt to use them.