Author Topic: Meyer lemon, why?  (Read 4714 times)

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Meyer lemon, why?
« on: May 04, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »
Why is it everywhere you look, Meyer lemon is the main variety available? Meyer is the nastiest worst excuse for a lemon there is. The one I had years ago was sent to the chipper ASAP...

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer lemon, why?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
I like them for lemonade and using in deserts like lemon bars. Very prolific too. Not a substitute for a regular lemon though if that’s what you mean

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 10:02:04 AM »
 :D I just find them useless. They have a bad after taste & just don't compare to a "real" lemon. The market is saturated with this thing & I can't figure it out.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »
They seem to by synonymous with home grown citrus.  I agree they are inferior to alternatives.  I’m getting rid of mine.

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 11:02:02 AM »
I agree that it's not the most useful tree/fruit, however:
- it's prolific, lots of fruit year round even on a small tree
- it looks beautiful, much nicer shape than a lemon, at least in my experience
- it's a fruit you don't find for pennies at the supermarket
- it has a distinctive taste that you can't substitute with lemon or lime, e.g. in ice cream or a tart
So our tree is definitely here to stay, but I would definitely get a lime and lemon first...

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 11:13:24 AM »
It's also the first tree to show deficiencies. I just can't stand them... As Bob (Millet) says... To the giant compost pile.  :D

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 02:20:54 PM »
Meyer is cold resistant, brings a lots of fruits, tree looks beautiful. taste is sweeter than in usuall lemon which is big disantvontage. On the other hand, no other lemon sort brings so much fruits

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 05:57:33 PM »
I chuckled at Laaz's post above.  I had an in ground Meyer lemon tree, which I eventually dug out and actually did toss it onto the compost pile, and planted a Page Mandarin in its place.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
I have a Meyer and I like it for lemonade.
Can't wait to try it next year with some sugarcane juice...

I have found if you leave the fruit out too long it tastes like crap. I harvest them from the tree and juice immediately. The bees love it too!

If it weren't already mature when I bought the house, I don't think I would have picked meyer over anything else but I have no complaints about mine.
-Kris

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
I enjoy my Meyers.  And so does my family and neighbors.  My wife makes a killer Meyer lemon meringue pie and other goodies.  They are prolific and easy to grow.  I don't really need two of them, but if I pull one up, my family and neighbors would be disappointed.

TFN

Kelley_GA8a

• Stockbridge, GA USA 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 07:08:19 PM »
I completely agree, Laaz - I think they taste awful!

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 10:58:43 PM »
I think the main reason it was selected was the cold hardiness of the tree. It definitely can be grown into Zone 8, whereas the Eureka or Lisbon is mainly a zone 9. It does have that aftertaste that can get bad if you let the fruit get overripe. To make a long answer short, it's hard to store since it's so soft, so lower supply makes it seem more attractive and exotic.

It is super productive though. For a zone 8B, you really are forced to choose it...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 01:02:21 AM »
I agree laaz they are crap and have a terrible aftertaste.  When I was younger we used to drink malt liquor 40oz and my buddy had a meyer lemon tree that we used to squeeze into the garbage beer.  Garbage beer with garbage lemon.  Now I'm all grown up and know better than to drink malt liquor or use meyer lemons.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:04:51 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 01:09:15 AM »
Meyer is cold resistant, brings a lots of fruits, tree looks beautiful. taste is sweeter than in usuall lemon which is big disantvontage. On the other hand, no other lemon sort brings so much fruits

No other lemon fruits as much?  Come on, every lemon tree around here is loaded beyond being usable.  Ive got a verigated pink lemon that produces so many lemons I thin 90% of them off and still cant use all the remaining lemons.
Brad Spaugh

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 06:48:50 AM »
I agree laaz they are crap and have a terrible aftertaste.  When I was younger we used to drink malt liquor 40oz and my buddy had a meyer lemon tree that we used to squeeze into the garbage beer.  Garbage beer with garbage lemon.  Now I'm all grown up and know better than to drink malt liquor or use meyer lemons.

LMAO!

adriano2

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 02:33:22 AM »
you are right. Still, meyer produces every year. Sometimes other lemons produce less if the winter was colder than usual.

No other lemon fruits as much?  Come on, every lemon tree around here is loaded beyond being usable.  Ive got a verigated pink lemon that produces so many lemons I thin 90% of them off and still cant use all the remaining lemons.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
Is Improved Meyer better?
I want a lemon tree to compliment my Bearss but don't know what's a good lemon tree.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
No.

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 06:50:29 PM »
They're ok. They make a pretty good lemon substitute for some things (mostly desserts) but sometimes there is no substitute for a real lemon.

Is Improved Meyer better?
I want a lemon tree to compliment my Bearss but don't know what's a good lemon tree.

They're the same. Og Meyers was infected with one of the pathogens that affect citrus, Improved is the cleaned up version.
If you want a lemon tree for lemons get a Lisbon, Eureka, or an Italian variety. Meyers, imo, do good and look awesome in containers but taste a little different. You should probably taste one before growing it, to some it's a connoisseur lemon, to others..... well, you see the posts lol

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 06:56:08 PM »
A Meyer lemon left on the counter too long taste like someone squeezed a bitter orange in to your drink.
I use mine fresh or not at all to avoid the aftertaste.
-Kris

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 10:59:54 PM »
Meyer lemons have a strong perfume scent that common lemons do not.  Some people might like that.  Also their rind is thin and not bitter, you could it it like an apple if you really like lemon.  Tried this once, would not do again.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 10:31:23 PM »
I haven’t found any blooms that smell better or more numerous than a Meyer. Nothing I have has produced as much fruit as the Meyer I have. I think Meyer is easier and quicker to propagate by rooting their cuttings. It’s the number one home grown citrus for some reason !

No way to compare a Meyer lemon with kishu, Xie Shan or a really good Brown Select. A Rubino Clementino that I’ve got was grown from seed. Bought it from a member here before I knew the seed aren’t true to their parent. Maybe it belongs in Laaz’s big compost pile. I’m watching it a little longer to see if it’s worth a hoot. Worse buy ? Probably. Buyer beware.

Tom

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 06:07:19 AM »
Rubino Clementino comes true or very close to true from seed.

The best use I have found for the heavy bearing meyer is you have plenty of ammo to throw at your neighbors...

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »
I like them for lemonade and using in deserts like lemon bars. Very prolific too. Not a substitute for a regular lemon though if that’s what you mean

As for me, I don't like some of the hints of its aroma, when I first slice it open, it's like there's a squashed up cockroach next to it. Some chefs go crazy over them though. The rind actually isn't very bad at all and is good for zesting. And I managed to win a Gold Medal for its wine. I managed to remove the nasty aroma during the winemaking process.

I only maintain a small branch of it on my lemon tree which is composed of ten different kinds of lemons.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:50:30 PM by JoeReal »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »
Rubino Clementino comes true or very close to true from seed.

The best use I have found for the heavy bearing meyer is you have plenty of ammo to throw at your neighbors...

Great idea ! Or let the neighbors pick their own. The thorns slice me badly and they hurt !

Tom