Author Topic: Dragon Fruit Rot Help  (Read 1458 times)

omfglook

• USA, CA, Oakland, 10a
    • View Profile
Dragon Fruit Rot Help
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »
I have a dragon fruit cactus that's around 3 years old. I just noticed some rot developing at the base of the plant and discovered a larger patch after digging out some soil. Anyone with experience with dragon fruit know how to fix this? It's currently supporting a few flowers and I don't want them to die.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit Rot Help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »
i personally have cut off to prevent further rot but maybe someone has better advice

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »
Maybe it already developed the center hard core and can survive event the green flesh is rotting. Cut back the water; wet soil encourages rot. 

omfglook

• USA, CA, Oakland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:59:34 PM »
Maybe it already developed the center hard core and can survive event the green flesh is rotting. Cut back the water; wet soil encourages rot.

Yea i figured it looked a little too wet. So you think its okay not to cut any out and to wait a few days without watering and see if it spreads?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:16:40 PM »
You cant cut it out its at the base of the plant.  It will be ok most likely the tissue on the fins will rot away but the hard core will live on and the rest of the plant will be fine.  Just water less often and let the top few inches of soil get dry between waterings.  And maybe take a few cuttings and get them started in pots just in case you need backups.
Brad Spaugh

omfglook

• USA, CA, Oakland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 11:25:32 PM »
You cant cut it out its at the base of the plant.  It will be ok most likely the tissue on the fins will rot away but the hard core will live on and the rest of the plant will be fine.  Just water less often and let the top few inches of soil get dry between waterings.  And maybe take a few cuttings and get them started in pots just in case you need backups.

Okay, thanks for the info!

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 06:19:36 AM »
Personally, I would break open the skin on the rotting area and expose it to the air. I have found that this kind of rot keeps getting worse if ignored and will keep working it’s way up the stem. This kind of rot seems to thrive in anaerobic conditions and once exposed to the air, it dries out and quickly heals itself. I open up any kind of rot that develops on my dragonfruit. And less water.  Works for me👍.

omfglook

• USA, CA, Oakland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 02:08:41 PM »
Personally, I would break open the skin on the rotting area and expose it to the air. I have found that this kind of rot keeps getting worse if ignored and will keep working it’s way up the stem. This kind of rot seems to thrive in anaerobic conditions and once exposed to the air, it dries out and quickly heals itself. I open up any kind of rot that develops on my dragonfruit. And less water.  Works for me👍.

Thanks might try this out!