Author Topic: Will this cracked ppc ripe?  (Read 1894 times)

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
Will this cracked ppc ripe?
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »
I have three fruits this season and 2/3 already cracked.  Picked this one a few mins ago and left the other two on the tree.  I have a few questions.  Will this one ripe? Should I leave it on the tree longer? And how can I prevent ppc from cracking?

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Will this cracked ppc ripe?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 01:25:42 AM »
This season I have 7 fruits and so far i don't have any crack. I wrap ziplog bag around it with big holes on the sides. I don't know if that is the reason keep them not to crack.
Back to your cracked fruit, I guess you have to pick it to prevent further cracking. It is ripe If you see yellow line between the eyes, and singly green peel

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 03:11:40 AM »
I had just a single fruit from my 1st time fruiting African pride tree in 2015, again a single fruit harvest in 2016, and the fruits cracked both times!

From what I read, inconsistent watering was commonly the blame, if so, then maybe I was not paying attention on adjusting the watering in rainy/cloudy days during the previous 2 years when the fruit was developing.

This Summer I upgraded my irrigation timer to "Rain machine" which automatically adjust (reduce) watering base on weather/rain condition, (it also has the convenience of having WIFI remote control) so beside saving water effortlessly, hopefully it helps water the trees more consistently. This year, my African pride has about 25 sizing up fruits hanging, and I don't see any crack fruit yet; ... "knock on wood".
Sam

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »
Thanks dragon, picked my second one cracked yesterday.

Sami- I have no problem with any other atemoya cracking.  Just this ppc which is one for doing so.  Will try dragon’s method to see if I can save the last one.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »

These are the two I picked This morning to send to my grandma . I hope they will be okay on the way there

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 12:06:22 PM »
Good looking fruit dragon.  It looks a lot more ready than the ones I picked.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
Thanks dragon, picked my second one cracked yesterday.

Sami- I have no problem with any other atemoya cracking.  Just this ppc which is one for doing so.  Will try dragon’s method to see if I can save the last one.

Bhkkatemoya ,

I found one African pride cracked in ziplock bag, so my method might not save the fruit. Like Samu mentioned , inconsistent watering was the blame or could be the cold weather caused the fruit cracking.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk