Author Topic: climate/cultural practices that make citrus hard to peel?  (Read 2195 times)

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
climate/cultural practices that make citrus hard to peel?
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »
At any stage of ripeness, the citrus I grow in my yard are harder to peel than those varieties normally are if I were to get them elsewhere, e.g., buy them at the store.  I know some varieties are harder to peel than others, but I'm talking about comparing the same variety grown in my yard to that variety grown elsewhere.  For example, the Valencia orange in my yard is harder peel than a Valencia I could buy.  Same for my Page mandarin, and my Moro blood orange.

Anyone have any ideas about why this might be?  It doesn't have to do with level of ripeness/maturity, though that certainly affects easy of peeling (easier on more mature fruit).  Could it be something about the way I'm growing them, e.g., not enough of certain minors?  Watering regime?  General climate (cool coastal)?

Thanks.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: climate/cultural practices that make citrus hard to peel?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:46:36 PM »
The same variety of mandarin or orange grown in a range of climates will generally be easier to peel and have thicker peel from the cooler areas. Acid content will be higher and a richer skin colour will also result from the cooler climate. Tangors are more orange like from a warm climate and more mandarin like from a cool climate. Oranges and mandarins seem to have a really broad range of climatic tolerances and are phenotypically plastic. The amount of rain and seasonal extemes as well as humidity contribute to ease of peeling as well.I think cultural practices and nutrients have less of a role.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fYpziFsC10

This method is a pretty good method - watch all the way to the end.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:36:27 PM by Millet »

venturabananas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fYpziFsC10

This method is a pretty good method - watch all the way to the end.

Well, these adhere to the skin too much for that approach to work.  That's why I'd like to figure if there's some cultural practice I can try to make them easier to peel.

venturabananas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
The same variety of mandarin or orange grown in a range of climates will generally be easier to peel and have thicker peel from the cooler areas. Acid content will be higher and a richer skin colour will also result from the cooler climate. Tangors are more orange like from a warm climate and more mandarin like from a cool climate. Oranges and mandarins seem to have a really broad range of climatic tolerances and are phenotypically plastic. The amount of rain and seasonal extemes as well as humidity contribute to ease of peeling as well.I think cultural practices and nutrients have less of a role.

Yes, I'd read that -- specifically citrus having thicker peels that are easier to peel in cooler areas.  Doesn't seem to hold in my case.  I'm in a cool, coastal area.  Maybe it's actually about difference between daytime high temps and nighttime lows.  There's very little difference where I live, compared to further inland.  Or perhaps lack of seasonal extremes, as you mentioned.

It would be nice if there was something I could tweak about the way I grow them.  I guess not.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
According to Gary at Laguna Hills Nursery in Southern California Citrus grown by the coast is harder to peel with a thinner skin. So what you are experiencing is normal. If you haven't read is website it is a good read with good information regarding growing fruit in Southern California specifically.

bill

venturabananas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 02:43:29 AM »
Thanks Bill.  Good to know it is normal, even if it isn't correctable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk