Author Topic: American Mango in Indonesia  (Read 3039 times)

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
American Mango in Indonesia
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:38:23 AM »
Please help identifying this mango, i am pretty sure this is an american mango but don't know what cultivar it is

I bought this mango from local fruit vendor. it sell among Keitt...and the fruit seller said it was Keitt, but the taste and shape were different.
i notice the peel was very firm...but flesh inside was juicy and no fiber with strong aroma and pineapple flavor.

Compare to Keitt

Deep red rind coloration that expose to sunlight

Flesh inside

The second mango is the one that i graft on the tree, but the label was gone. the flavor and taste were milder. i graft only two scion so this is either Zillate or Valencia Pride?

Fruit develop

Mature but unripe fruit

Ripe fruit

Inside look

and the last one is two mango that my friend who grew them said that those are Florida variety.

The "Golden" and "Zabecan" mango

Im pretty sure this "Goden" is Mahachanok

The "Zabecan" were quite big...a kilos or maybe more
Does anyone know if there any mango called Golden and Zabecan?

Thank you for any respond
Warm Regards from East Java - Indonesia

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: American Mango in Indonesia
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:20:19 AM »
The Zillate looks correct, not Valencia Pride.   The big round mango could be Kent.  I cant say for sure that is a Mahachanok as there are other varieties with that shape.

The first pictures regarding the Keitt...the unknowns do not resemble any Keitt i have seen and would feel confident in saying it is not a Keitt. 
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:27:26 AM »
The first fruit pictured next to the Keitt and below may be Van Dyke. Sensation is another possibility. Neither typically exhibit a raised stem end like the fruit in the pictures though Van Dyke sometimes will.

The "zabecan" may be Kent though it appears on the bumpy side for a Kent. Another outside possibility is Manzanillo, a Mexican mango introduced to the US ( more common in Hawaii than Florida).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:37:08 AM by Squam256 »

Picko Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:37:58 PM »
The Zillate looks correct, not Valencia Pride.   The big round mango could be Kent.  I cant say for sure that is a Mahachanok as there are other varieties with that shape.

The first pictures regarding the Keitt...the unknowns do not resemble any Keitt i have seen and would feel confident in saying it is not a Keitt.

Thankyou Rob....okay, i will labeled the part of grafted tree as Zillate, so the other branch wil be VP.

Picko Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:47:39 PM »
The first fruit pictured next to the Keitt and below may be Van Dyke. Sensation is another possibility. Neither typically exhibit a raised stem end like the fruit in the pictures though Van Dyke sometimes will.

The "zabecan" may be Kent though it appears on the bumpy side for a Kent. Another outside possibility is Manzanillo, a Mexican mango introduced to the US ( more common in Hawaii than Florida).

i also noted it raised stem were distinguish character...also little beak bellow.
or could it be Julie? i read PIN description about its strong pineapple flavor that match with this mango. for the rind color that deep red...maybe its because this mango grown in dry and full of sun area of East Java...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:16:46 AM »
To compare with your Mahachanok,  below is a perfectly ripened specimen.

- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 04:07:33 AM »
If it is a mahachanok then you can smell it. Smells much stronger then any other mango we have here.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:55:57 AM »
If it is a mahachanok then you can smell it. Smells much stronger then any other mango we have here.

Of the mangoes grown in Florida,  the Mahachanok is nowhere near the most fragrant.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:40:12 AM »

i also noted it raised stem were distinguish character...also little beak bellow.
or could it be Julie? i read PIN description about its strong pineapple flavor that match with this mango. for the rind color that deep red...maybe its because this mango grown in dry and full of sun area of East Java...

No, definitely not Julie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk