Author Topic: What kind of Kumquat do I have?  (Read 2324 times)

LBurford

• USA, Arkansas, Taylor, zone 8
    • View Profile
What kind of Kumquat do I have?
« on: November 03, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
I got them at Walmart and they were grown by Saxon Becnel and sons.  All they say on the tag is Kumquat. 

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of Kumquat do I have?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 06:52:11 PM »
This is Meiwa Kumquat. Saxon Becnel is the bigest grower/disyributor of citrus in the Southern States. Headquarters in Louisiana, Texas. He uses fast growing rootstock and never list the rootstock on the tree. I promise that he sells only quality healthy trees. I just demand that I know the rootstock, for many reasons, before I would purchase a tree. New trees are prone to throw a sprout from the rootstock. If this happens you may be able to idenntify the rootstock. Kumquat are hardy once established. If you put them outside, place them on a Southern wall of the house. Cover them the first winter freezes and they should toughen up the next year and bring you some fruit.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 07:15:25 PM by Bomand »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:41:06 PM »
Yes looks like Meiwa

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »
Besides Meiwa being an awesome treat to eat, with its sweet & sour taste, it is also nature's vitamin pill. The fruit contains vitamins A, C, E, B-complex, and antioxidants, all in good amounts.  The fruit also supplies more fiber than most other fruits.  If you take good care of that tree, that tree will take good care of you.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:22:41 PM by Millet »

LBurford

• USA, Arkansas, Taylor, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 09:09:35 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I bought 4 of these trees from Walmart. I gave one to my mother and one to my daughter. They were very nice healthy trees but Walmart was doing what they do best which is abusing them and letting them die from lack of water. Out of all the varieties of citrus they had the Kumquats were dealing with no water the best. They were marked $39.99 each and I gave less than a dollar each for them at the end of the season. :.) Right now I have them in 15 gallon pots on by front porch which faces south.  I plan on putting them in the garage on really cold nights.

I have had a few sprouts from below the graft on several different varieties of citrus that came from this grower and all have trifoliate leaves. 

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 09:39:36 PM »
Good. The sprouts below the graft w ill need to be prunsd off. Trim them off as close to the tree trunk as possible. Just because the leaves are trifolate does not indicate standard poncirus or FDragon. Lots of poncirus hybrids are used as they are a lot more vigorus/faster growing than standard poncirus/FDragon. Take good care, water, fertilize and pest control will make them fun to grow.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 09:42:23 PM »
Kumquats do great in pots.  If you keep it healthy it will produce a ton of fruit.  Good luck

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 05:02:34 PM »
Saxon/Bechnel uses carrizo citrange for most citrus. Rickie at the Orangefield location
told me this a few years ago. However rootstock for kumquat might be different IMHO.
Kumquat is difficult to tee bud. I only chip bud or cleft kumquat.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 10:03:50 PM »
I too find kumquat difficult to t bud. Can be done but you losses will be large. The Becnels do use Carrizo for a large part of their rootstock. I did find some Swingle in use at their Belle Chase location. I like to cleft kumquat on standard Poncirus.  It grows well for me.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 01:41:35 PM »
I have never been fully satisfied whether in fact  Kumquat does or does not do well on its own roots.  I know it is written on various forums from time to time that Kumquat does not do well on it own roots.   Has anyone ever seen official confirmation from  legitimate sources if it does for doesn't?   I know people who have grown Kumquats from seed and they seem OK.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »
I am one that knows that kumquat thrive on their own roots. I have read lots of material that is pro grafting but I have 12 and 13 year old kumquat, heavy bearers each year from seed. Slow growers as all kumquat is but happy prolific trees.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 09:57:01 AM »
I am one that knows that kumquat thrive on their own roots. I have read lots of material that is pro grafting but I have 12 and 13 year old kumquat, heavy bearers each year from seed. Slow growers as all kumquat is but happy prolific trees.

Tell that to my 25+ ft tall Changshu that produces hundreds of fruit each year. 15 years old from seed.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »
I have 4 seed grown 3 year old Meiwa kumquat trees and 1 seed grown 5 year old Fukushu kumquat trees and all are doing very well.  The Fukushu is outside in ground inside a quadruple layer glass Greenhouse.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:33:04 AM by poncirsguy »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
Hah I like your single-tree greenhouse

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 03:24:22 PM »
Poncirusguy, the seed grown kumquat in the first picture looks to have flowers on it.  You should have fruit this year.  You have done a good job growing them.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 04:14:46 PM »
The flower like appearance are caused by reflected light from my light fixture by my coffee pot.  That tree did flower and produced 30 fruits ripe at 3 years age and 2 fruits ripe at 1 year 9 months.  A second Meiwa tree produced 1 fruit at 3 years age.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 08:12:53 PM »
Steve, you did a hell of a job.They all look good and healthy!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 08:42:52 PM »
Few if any citrus variety produces more fruit per tree size, then does Mewa kumquat.