Author Topic: Papaya Problem  (Read 946 times)

jmart777

• Chula Vista, California Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Papaya Problem
« on: June 05, 2019, 01:49:31 AM »
Any ideas on what I should throw on this? Its about 1 year old, Mexican papaya, 3 trunks, same hole, in zone 10a, went through the winter in the ground and lost all their leaves. Thought they were not going to make it.  Started trying to make a comeback, but still hurting.

Thanks

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Papaya Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:13:35 AM »
It could be one of the viral diseases or root problems but may have just been setback by the cold wet winter you had in Cali. Papaya are easy to grow plants and if they have problems it may be best to replace them. Your trees look like they are about 3 feet tall and from seed could be replaced in a few months. You don't mention the variety so I assume you grew from a seed out of a bought papaya. Be aware that some commercial growers use hybrid F1 seeds which may not breed true. I've had great success with this vendor's disease resistant seed with 100% useful female or hermaphrodite plants and not a single male in my planting. If you choose one of these varieties you can plant a single plant and not have to select out males. If you want to get serious about papaya check them out.
https://www.alohaseed.com/index.htm

My best advice is that papaya is a demanding plant that is very greedy because of it's high growth rate and heavy fruit production for size, up to 200 lbs of fruit on a single stem. They need the most fertile conditions possible with no setbacks from weather or shortages of water and nutrition. By growing single plants they grow stouter and straighter trunks instead of leaning and are therefore less likely to topple. I've had good luck transplanting them deeper than in seedling pots, burying up to 1/2 the trunk, roots form adventitiously along the stem for better stabilization. Lastly they are susceptible to root rots so planting on a dry spot or mound helps avoid that.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 10:54:28 AM »
It will start growing again once it gets warmer.  Hasnt been hot enough yet this year.  Its barely broken 80F here yet and Im 16 miles inland.  Its probably even more mild in chula vista.
Brad Spaugh

jmart777

• Chula Vista, California Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I was looking at the website alohaseed and wondering what might be the sweetest and best tasting of that bunch that would do well here in San Diego area?  I already have the Tainung, but have not tasted the fruit.  It has 2 fruit on it, but growing stalled when the cold hit... coming back to life now as well.  I also have a Hawaiian Solo (not sure which one) from HD.  Here are some more pics.