Author Topic: Red lime falling off  (Read 1805 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Red lime falling off
« on: August 08, 2018, 05:02:58 PM »
My red lime fruits are falling off the tree at ~35% yellow colored. All three are in containers, not root bound, and have no signs of water or sun stress... all are in partial shade. Any ideas why?
Regards,

Gary

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Red lime falling off
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »
How old are your trees, and what percent of the crop is being discarded?

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:57:00 AM »
I do not know the age but the largest is about 5 ft tall and has a trunk nearly 2 inches thick. I would think that the larver tree wuld be beyond the age where it would be aborting fruit like I would expect from a juvenile?
Regards,

Gary

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:42:00 AM »
Yes, your tree seems to be old enough to bear and keep fruit. Of all the fruit on the tree, what percentage of the fruit is discarded?   All citrus trees, even 25-year old trees discard fruit.  Once near the beginning of fruit set (small fruitlets) and again  at what is called "June Drop".  During June Drop the fruit size are larger. There is also a post harvest drop period.  All three are very normal and common .

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 11:27:07 AM »
Seems like none so far have matured and colored fully. Its healthy is pushing new growth, leaves are dark green and  not dropping curling from stress or sunburning. 
Regards,

Gary

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 04:20:05 PM »
gnappi, I don't know about the red lime growing in Florida personally, but I do know various citrus cultivars never fully color up when growing in Florida. Give your tree a few years, and the tree should settle down. Foliar spraying the tree with low biuret urea approximately 1.5 months before the expected flowering date will greatly help a lot, both with the size of the crop, and also fruit retention.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 06:30:49 PM »
The Red Lime was developed in Florida.  It thrives here and produces heavily.  It will definitely fully color up.

Gary, as to yours, please describe its habitation (size of tree, if in a pot...size of pot, soil/mix, care, water, fert, etc.) in detail and post pictures.  Hard to say what the issue might be with seeing the "big picture".
- Rob

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
I am pot impaired but it is bigger than 5 gal smaller than 40 :-) I have no idea what it is potted in as it came from the nursery as is and it does not need repotting yet but I will likely put it in the ground next spring.

I cannot post a pic till I get to my desktop machine.
Regards,

Gary