Author Topic: New suggested area to post in! Current market prices of fruit per lb!  (Read 17734 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: New suggested area to post in! Current market prices of fruit per lb!
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
Passionfruit season for me , selling to bars and restaurants @ 2.50 kilo

Here Sweet Granadilla cost about $19/KG.
Thai Durian $8/KG

That's quite pricey for a kilo of passion fruit. At that price, bet you could make some money, if you turn your yard into a mini passion fruit orchard and sell it back to them  ;) ;D.

;D

Right now,I'm growing Passiflora foetida. It is about 3 years old. It started flowering last year from September to May but no fruit,yet. I hope to see some fruit this year.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:52:52 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »
I think that one's fruit is very small in size, but some say, some variety of that passiflora, are quite tasty and is the only carnivorous passiflora species. When they flower, they produce a hairy tendril casing around the flower/fruit that produces enzyme like the other carnivorous plant does(Venus fly trap, pitcher plant etc.).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 05:22:33 PM »
Great idea, it could be very useful. For example, I'd love to know who's selling jackfruit, the variety, location and at what price.

Speaking of jack fruits, I just got one today from my local Asian grocery store. @ $2.19/lb(23 lbs), it cost me around $50. Paid too much or just about right for California Jacks? And they had fresh(well looked like it, but no strong smell) not frozen durians for $6/lb. Picked the smallest one, went to the paying counter, they rang it in at $30+, so I decided to put it away and will just go for the frozen cheaper ones next time. Will post pictures tomorrow, after it's done bleeding like Oscar mention in one of his thread.

Thao Thailand is getting more expensive fast the last years. Especially Bangkok. If i compare all products in Thai supermarkets to German supermarkets then 95% of the products are cheaper in Germany. Even imported tropical fruits are almost cheaper in Germany then Thailand. A huge Kent mango (from South America) costs 1.3$ in Germany but they dont't taste that good.

50$ for a jackfruit is insane for me. A hamburgermeal in the US costs almost nothing so there is a lot to do for mr. Obama.

Luc my prices are from the local markets in BKK. The cheap markets though where it is pretty dangerous to go shopping and unbearable hot.
A kg of Thai grown "sweet" passionfruits costs 4 us$ in the supermarkets, they are not that sweet though compared to Australian imported ones.

If i go to shop in air conditioned supermarket here i can also pay 4-5 times as much as normal price in farmer's market and the quality will also be terrible! So it all depends on where you shop. I think the price you quote are not realistic real costs in most of Thailand, maybe only for European expatriates in Thailand.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
I think that one's fruit is very small in size, but some say, some variety of that passiflora, are quite tasty and is the only carnivorous passiflora species. When they flower, they produce a hairy tendril casing around the flower/fruit that produces enzyme like the other carnivorous plant does(Venus fly trap, pitcher plant etc.).

Thanks for the info.

Back then when I started growing tropical fruits, I knew nothing about passiflora spp or tropical Fruits in general. i thought all passiflora spp are the same in fruit size (silly me :o), so that is why I got stuck with Passiflora foetida. I did grow other Passiflora but none of them survived.
Moh'd

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »
I don't know the weather in Dubai, but if it's anything like Saudi Arabia(hot and dry). Why don't you try growing the passiflora edulis var flavicarpa. It's the yellow kind, they are more adapted to tropical weather and can tolerate hotter weather than the purple kind. But, they are more cold sensitive though. So, if winter lows in Dubai, goes into the below freezing temps 0c degree, you will have to give it some winter protection, but if it doesn't drop that low and its 2c and up, then it should do fine there.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 01:14:09 AM »
Ok , so here's my jack fruit follow up and what it turned into, after it wasn't what I expected. Maybe too unripe when picked, or I just didn't let it ripen long enough after purchase(this is my first fresh, or imported quaility fresh jack ever, always had canned. Did have many fresh Thai and Laos one, but was too young and long ago to recall the real taste of fresh tree ripen ones.) This one, was crunchy with lots of flesh and tasted somewhat sweet, but not very much and was like eating semi sweet chewy rubber card board stripes of flesh. I hope to get to try some name cultivar variety someday. BTW, any guess what these Mexican jack variety are or just a seedling?

I know it doesn't look very fresh, as it's an imported Mexican jack.

And here's what the the clean bulb turn into............Jack fritters.

Does the chempadak fritters, that many of you tasted in Malaysia/Indonesia look similar?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 04:14:39 AM »
Great idea, it could be very useful. For example, I'd love to know who's selling jackfruit, the variety, location and at what price.

Speaking of jack fruits, I just got one today from my local Asian grocery store. @ $2.19/lb(23 lbs), it cost me around $50. Paid too much or just about right for California Jacks? And they had fresh(well looked like it, but no strong smell) not frozen durians for $6/lb. Picked the smallest one, went to the paying counter, they rang it in at $30+, so I decided to put it away and will just go for the frozen cheaper ones next time. Will post pictures tomorrow, after it's done bleeding like Oscar mention in one of his thread.

Thao Thailand is getting more expensive fast the last years. Especially Bangkok. If i compare all products in Thai supermarkets to German supermarkets then 95% of the products are cheaper in Germany. Even imported tropical fruits are almost cheaper in Germany then Thailand. A huge Kent mango (from South America) costs 1.3$ in Germany but they dont't taste that good.

50$ for a jackfruit is insane for me. A hamburgermeal in the US costs almost nothing so there is a lot to do for mr. Obama.

Luc my prices are from the local markets in BKK. The cheap markets though where it is pretty dangerous to go shopping and unbearable hot.
A kg of Thai grown "sweet" passionfruits costs 4 us$ in the supermarkets, they are not that sweet though compared to Australian imported ones.

If i go to shop in air conditioned supermarket here i can also pay 4-5 times as much as normal price in farmer's market and the quality will also be terrible! So it all depends on where you shop. I think the price you quote are not realistic real costs in most of Thailand, maybe only for European expatriates in Thailand.

Oscar are you trying to say that i pay to much because i am a westerner? I live here more then 10 years, speak a little Thai just enough to bargain and shop around and have a photographic memory for numbers. I get better prices then most Thai that i know because they don't bargain hard enough. Bargaining is the game in Thailand and i m expert in it.

Sure you are right that in abandoned places where no tourists want to go the prices might be lower. I don't live there though so i mentioned the fruitprices i see on the markets in  my neighbourhood (not supermarkets and no aircon).

I read that the german supermarkets like Aldi are coming to the USA. They will beat any other supermarket in price and if the competition does not follow their prices they will suffer from that.
http://aldi.de/ here you can see their worldwide website, they are expanding like a bananatree.
http://www.aldi-nord.de/obst_und_gemuese.html here so see some prices of fruit in germany.

Thailand is not that cheap anymore.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 04:24:22 AM »
The first KP mango tray of the season was auctioned for charity today as it is on the first day of the official mango season every year in Queensland.It fetched about $US 40 000 so that is about $4000/lb.The price in the markets by the height of the season might be 4000 x less.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 05:12:31 AM »
Bangkok, my main point is that i don't believe what you are saying about 95% of the fruits being cheaper in Germany than in Thailand. I've been to both countries and that's far from the truth. Maybe a pear, a plum, or a peach are cheaper in Germany than in Thailand, but that is because they are grown in Germany and imported into Thailand. Certainly all Asian fruits will be a whole lot cheaper in Thailand, and most, like rambutan, mangosteen, durian, will be totally unavailable in Germany.
It's true that Thailand is not as cheap as it used to be, but that can be said for almost any country now.
Having been in Thailand only a few months ago i can tell you that fruits, especially ones in season, are still a lot cheaper than in most countries.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 08:17:42 AM »
I don't know the weather in Dubai, but if it's anything like Saudi Arabia(hot and dry). Why don't you try growing the passiflora edulis var flavicarpa. It's the yellow kind, they are more adapted to tropical weather and can tolerate hotter weather than the purple kind. But, they are more cold sensitive though. So, if winter lows in Dubai, goes into the below freezing temps 0c degree, you will have to give it some winter protection, but if it doesn't drop that low and its 2c and up, then it should do fine there.

Dubai does not get anywhere near freezing. I have been in winter and summer. Winters are very pleasing, but summers are so hot that you feel like in constant sauna. I don't know how our friend is growing anything? I hope he is a rich Sheikh with AC garden :D. Going through produce section is like taking geography class. Numerous countries of origin under each product. Prices similar to American supermarkets, but I did manage to get 2 huge R2E2 mangoes from Australia for $1 each. I had to force myself to finish one, and another one was thrown away to enrich the local sand. They were that bad...

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
I was quite surprised to find good quality (and not too expensive) mangosteen and rambutan at supermarkets in Germany. 

Price-wise, I found Thailand's prices to be much cheaper than anywhere I have been.  I sure miss the fruit markets of Thailand.  :(

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 11:03:54 AM »

Here, The temperature  never gets below 7C in the winter But in the summer the temperature can reach up to 46C. I have successfully fruited Custard Apple, Sapodilla , Mulberry, Mango, Papaya, Indian Almond and Indian Guava. Right now, I'm growing Guadeloupe Canistel (hope to get pointed canistel from Oscar), Mammea Amreicana, malay apple, Nance fruit, 8 types of garcinia, Jackfruit and others.

Wish me good luck because I certainly NEED it. 8)

Thanks again. I will try to get  passiflora edulis var.flavicarpa.

Mohd
Moh'd

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »
holy cow!!!  at least it's for a good cause

The first KP mango tray of the season was auctioned for charity today as it is on the first day of the official mango season every year in Queensland.It fetched about $US 40 000 so that is about $4000/lb.The price in the markets by the height of the season might be 4000 x less.
Tim

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »
Oscar i wrote that all "products" in Foodland Bangkok cost more then in German supermarkets. I meant meat, fish, milk, eggs, soap etc. etc.

The website from Aldi says the fruits are from Italien=Italy or Spanien=Spain so they are not grown in Germany. The prices are very low in my opinion. I did see rambutans there but i don't like them. In Holland i saw rambutans for like 25 $ a kg, also mangosteen 25$ a kg (2.2 lbs) and sweet small passionfruits and granadilla for 30$ a kg. Holland is more expensive then Germany in everything. Germany does not have minimum wages that's why.

Mohammed i wonder what kind of soil you are using for passionfruits. They need good fertile soil which is hard to find in Dubai. I was in Abu Dhabi this weekend and there it is the same soil, only yellow sand and looks very very dry. I know that Dubai gardencentres buy a lot of plants here in Thailand, maybe you can let them bring fruittree's as well?

I grow the passionfruits flavicarpa here in Bangkok. I have some in a big container that almost have no leaves and look crappy. I also have them in a big raised bed and they became a huge bush and are flowering at the moment. No fruits to see yet.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »
Oscar i wrote that all "products" in Foodland Bangkok cost more then in German supermarkets. I meant meat, fish, milk, eggs, soap etc. etc.

The website from Aldi says the fruits are from Italien=Italy or Spanien=Spain so they are not grown in Germany. The prices are very low in my opinion. I did see rambutans there but i don't like them. In Holland i saw rambutans for like 25 $ a kg, also mangosteen 25$ a kg (2.2 lbs) and sweet small passionfruits and granadilla for 30$ a kg. Holland is more expensive then Germany in everything. Germany does not have minimum wages that's why.

Mohammed i wonder what kind of soil you are using for passionfruits. They need good fertile soil which is hard to find in Dubai. I was in Abu Dhabi this weekend and there it is the same soil, only yellow sand and looks very very dry. I know that Dubai gardencentres buy a lot of plants here in Thailand, maybe you can let them bring fruittree's as well?

I grow the passionfruits flavicarpa here in Bangkok. I have some in a big container that almost have no leaves and look crappy. I also have them in a big raised bed and they became a huge bush and are flowering at the moment. No fruits to see yet.

If you go to Dubai municipality. They give free gardening soil to the locals without paying any money. They also sells fertilizers for very cheap prices.

About my soil, I removed about 2ft from the top soil and replace it with the gardening soil that I got from the municipality. I also added lots of caw manure and fish waste from the fish Market. I keep Biodegradable waste in a special trash can and at the end of the day I dig a hole in the ground and throw everything inside.  8)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 06:43:12 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »
Here's a couple fun ones...

I just picked about $200 worth of passion fruit off my deck boards... that is approx. 50 fruit @ Ralph's La Jolla price of $4 each.  I feel better about my water bill now.

I also feel good about my Cherimoya trees... Ralphs is selling the fruit for $8.99/lb.  That means my tree has an ROI of approx. 2 years.  Not bad.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »
Here is what we got for fruit this summer/fall
Mango $2 lb
Avocado $1 lb
Passion fruit $3lb
Sugar apple/atemoya $5lb
Dragon fruit $3lb
Jakfruit $2lb
Red lady papaya $2lb
Star fruit $2lb
Sapodilla $3lb

We had no problem selling at these prices wit very little fruit spoil, these were the prices we get at our fruit stand as fruit is available.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
Here's that $200* bag of passion fruit... lol

*at ridiculous retail price of $4 each.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 11:06:59 PM »
They look yummy! Too bad we have to put a $ to every yummy thing. Are you going to eat all $200?  ;)
Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:59 AM »
We have been giving them away to friends (lots of Brazilians in San Diego!) and making juice/drinks.

My wife gave a similar sized bag (about 50) to a friend and then that friend saw the prices at the market... never thought giving people fruit would make them feel guilty ;)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 10:12:20 AM »
Jeff, Have you tried making jam? How long is YOUR season?
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
We put the juice in ice cube trays. Later add to any drink for a tropical jazz up. Also the cubes can be added to smoothies.
Oscar

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2013, 02:38:44 AM »
Precios de frutas en el mercado colombiano: 1 dolar/$1913 pesos colombianos

Limón verde, $2000 k

Naranja común, $4000/2.5 k

Piña golden, $3000/U

Piña perolera, $5000/U

mango,$2000/U

Guineo, banano,$700/libra

Mora andina, $1720/k

Lulo, $2000/libra

Tamarelo o tamarillo, $3000/libra

Pitaya amarilla, $5000/ libra