Author Topic: mulberry just dropped leaves  (Read 3380 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
mulberry just dropped leaves
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:46:07 PM »
My pakistan mulberry just dropped all its leaves. Planted it last spring and it flowered and fruited almost immediately. Fruits tasted a bit grassy but not worried about that. After a couple months the leaves turned yellow. Tried a few things and eventually citrus and avocado food. Leaves colored up nicely after that,  were good for a few weeks and then suddenly yellowed, dried and dropped a week ago. Should i be worried? My neighbors mulberry thats only a couple years older is still lush and green.
Shane

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
Re: mulberry just dropped leaves
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 12:32:45 AM »
My pakistan mulberry just dropped all its leaves. Planted it last spring and it flowered and fruited almost immediately. Fruits tasted a bit grassy but not worried about that. After a couple months the leaves turned yellow. Tried a few things and eventually citrus and avocado food. Leaves colored up nicely after that,  were good for a few weeks and then suddenly yellowed, dried and dropped a week ago. Should i be worried? My neighbors mulberry thats only a couple years older is still lush and green.

What are you not in autum?, that I know in you zone there stations
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:35:23 AM by cgps »

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 12:37:51 AM »
It did cool down a little, and rain. Im hoping thats it but like i said my neighbors mulberry is still very green.
Shane

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 12:49:49 AM »
This really depend of plant that of the specie in general,not all the mulberries should do it  to self moment, but, you try  find  some  signes  that look at trouble or insects like precaution

Camile
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:53:17 AM by cgps »

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »
Also since your mulberry is recently planted that may explain why it lost its leaves earlier
- David Antonio Garcia

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »
Thank you both. I hope so. Will see next spring. As mark has pointed out in another thread, when the tree isn't working on growing its branches and leaves, its working on its roots. Crossing fingers.
Shane

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
Ours are still green and actually still growing some.  It sounds like your tree isn’t happy for some reason and went dormant early.  It’s a little late in the year for fertilizing.  You might try putting a nice 8” or foot of compost around it and wait and see how it does in the spring.

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 03:22:44 PM »
I took a few pictures yesterday.  Here is our larger tree that is in the ground:

and one that I grafted earlier this summer:

By the way check out the size of the leaves on the ones I grafted that have been getting tons of water and regular fertilizer.  I'm gonna have to try and get the one in the ground growing this well next year.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 01:14:24 PM »
Love seeing big mulberry leaves like that.

Meanwhile mine just pushed out tiny leaves and even a flower right through the cold snap. Confused!

Shane

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 11:32:05 PM »
My Pakistani mulberry has a lot of green fruit on it right now. I sure wasn't expecting that, but nevertheless I'm very glad.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 07:48:04 AM »
Love seeing big mulberry leaves like that.

Meanwhile mine just pushed out tiny leaves and even a flower right through the cold snap. Confused!

Shane,

I was wondering if yours would leaf out again before winter.  I’m glad it survived.  I’ve water stressed mine when it was still in the pot (not on purpose) and had it drop most of it’s leaves only to leaf out again and produce an off season crop.  They are pretty resilient so I’ve been wondering if you can do that on purpose to get a second crop every year.  Probably not the best thing for the tree though.

Sven

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
My Pakistani is irregular as far as dormancy / dropping leaves.

Some years it almost seems to skip the process.  Other years it may drop some but not all. Sometimes it will drop some in early fall and some more in December or January or February.  Sometimes part of the tree will put out new leaves in fall or early winter, along with some fruit.

I'd say there is a good chance your tree is doing just fine.