Author Topic: young mango tasting  (Read 1940 times)

cape coral Bob

• cape coral
    • View Profile
young mango tasting
« on: July 23, 2020, 08:40:58 AM »
I enjoyed my first Young mango today!  It had a very pleasant flavor that reminded me of valencia pride!  recommended!  thank you Tony!

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
Re: young mango tasting
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 08:58:37 AM »
The new name is Tebow mango same mangoes just renamed . Supposed to be pretty good but never really got super popular . Thinking about add one to my collection
https://youtu.be/Ejwm4_CvptU
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:07:38 AM by Nyuu »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 09:42:17 AM »
The new name is Tebow mango same mangoes just renamed . Supposed to be pretty good but never really got super popular . Thinking about add one to my collection

It was not renamed.  Its is a Young and will always be known by that name.  Using the name Tebow is a bullshit marketing ploy by PIN.   Its utterly disgusting when people do this.  This has been a discussion on this board too many times.  The horse has beaten to death.

If youbreally have any questions about its name, there is a member on this forum ir is a descendant of David Sturrock, the man who named it.  He will be glad to explain...
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »
Besides, calling it "Tebow" was a dumb thing to do.  There's no connection.  Someone at PIN was enamored with Tim Tebow?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:52:03 AM by johnb51 »
John

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:08:36 AM »

It was not renamed.  Its is a Young and will always be known by that name.  Using the name Tebow is a bullshit marketing ploy by PIN.   Its utterly disgusting when people do this.  This has been a discussion on this board too many times.  The horse has beaten to death.

If youbreally have any questions about its name, there is a member on this forum ir is a descendant of David Sturrock, the man who named it.  He will be glad to explain...
  you're the one of those people that believe plants only have one name lol look up ulala avocado / super Hass avocado same avocado I can give you multiple examples of other plants with multiple names
Moringa , horseradish tree and drumstick tree  all the same plant

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 10:28:10 AM »
I'm type of person look is way if it quacks duck  looks like a duck and walks like a duck it a duck doesn't matter what else you name it
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:39:27 AM by Nyuu »

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 10:34:01 AM »
Besides, calling it "Tebow" was a dumb thing to do.  There's no connection.  Someone at PIN was enamored with Tim Tebow?
I believe it renamed because they were trying to get that variety out more so they decide to rename it with someone famous that's about it he was really popular at that time there's your connection

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 10:40:39 AM »
was told someone imagined the mango looked like Tebow's biceps, lol.

I agree, it is uncool to rename stuff as if it is something new and different. people work hard to develop a cultivar, and it is reasonable to expect to know what you are buying.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »
was told someone imagined the mango looked like Tebow's biceps, lol.

I agree, it is uncool to rename stuff as if it is something new and different. people work hard to develop a cultivar, and it is reasonable to expect to know what you are buying.
  I'm pretty sure I made it clear that is rename tebow but it same as the young mango . The reason I gave the name out it's because you might not find it as young mango on some areas
I deal with customers and if one variety plant has multiple names let them know and to add to it different plants can have different names in different areas
Here something rename only looking make money off it
http://www.lauriemeadows.info/food_garden/fruit/Avocado_cv_Hass_Carmen.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:02:27 AM by Nyuu »

cape coral Bob

• cape coral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »
I was lucky to get to try one and enjoy it. I know about the history of the name so I tried to get it right. Its a damm good mango!

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
I was lucky to get to try one and enjoy it. I know about the history of the name so I tried to get it right. Its a damm good mango!
I know some people may not like rename but it done sometimes because the name is slowing down sale of good or great cultivar and not by the quality the fruit

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 12:27:15 PM »
I expect rename in the future maybe ugly Betty mango because it's supposed to be pretty good variety but hinder by the name

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 02:30:55 PM »
I think calling PPK Lemon Meringue was a good move.  Mahachanok might have benefited from an English name.  But Tebow was a disaster as a pro player, making that name change very questionable.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:33:05 PM by johnb51 »
John

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 08:58:29 AM »
I tried a Young mango this morning. Fairly good flesh to seed ratio, about 20 ounces,skin turning light orange,flesh was also light to medium orange. Skin was spotting up so I couldn't wait any longer. It had been off the tree about 5 days. I have read reports that its flavor improved if you wait until it goes orange.
 Moderately sweet, fiberless, VERY mild flavor, sort of like canned peaches if you rinsed the syrup off. Enjoyable but not very exciting. This would be a perfect mango for beginners or picky younger children. No resin taste.  Have heard good things about the productivity and tree is supposed to be fairly easy to manage. Some people will love this one.
I have several other varieties ripening during the same season that I like better, so I don't think I will personally plant one.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 12:28:45 PM »

You're wrong on both points. It is definitely not rated by the majority of people as a very good mango and it does not have a new name. It was incorrectly renamed for marketing purposes by PIN but that does not mean it has a NEW name. The correct cultivar name is still Young.

In your other post you mentioned multiple names for other plants. First of all, if a plant has multiple variety names, that is usually do to common variety names and not varieties that were developed and named by an individual such as the Young mango was.

Your second example was of multiple common names for a species. That also does not apply in this situation because while the mango tree may have multiple names in other languages, the cultivar names generally remain the same when they are developed by an individual and not just a generic local cultivar name.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »

You're wrong on both points. It is definitely not rated by the majority of people as a very good mango and it does not have a new name. It was incorrectly renamed for marketing purposes by PIN but that does not mean it has a NEW name. The correct cultivar name is still Young.

In your other post you mentioned multiple names for other plants. First of all, if a plant has multiple variety names, that is usually do to common variety names and not varieties that were developed and named by an individual such as the Young mango was.

Your second example was of multiple common names for a species. That also does not apply in this situation because while the mango tree may have multiple names in other languages, the cultivar names generally remain the same when they are developed by an individual and not just a generic local cultivar name.
incorrect look at oh la la / super Hass avocado cultivar multiple names
You maybe not like young mango having two names it does even if only marketing purposes
Carmen Hass avocado cultivar multiple names again used to be Mendez Hass
And have other mango will multiple names
https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/dupuis-saigon

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 02:12:16 PM »

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 02:17:11 PM »

here moringa tree
https://treesforlife.org/our-work/our-initiatives/moringa/names-of-moringa

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 02:36:23 PM »

You maybe not like young mango having two names it does even if only marketing purposes

I understand your point (i think) but it seems the hang up is the choice of wording.
New name and Rename is not the same as multiple names.

A person can have multiple names or nicknames but renaming that person is a redifferent concept.

PIN may have decided to sell Young under a different name but that doesn't mean everyone else excepts it as a replacement name.
The same website that is being used as a source has it listed website a Young, so it might be fair to say it now has two common names. (as unfortunate as it may be).

@cape coral bob

As for taste. I'm glad the OP likes it.
The fruit doesnt suffer from much (don't know about the new diseases though) and is productive.
I'm personally not a fan as are many growers in the Soflo area.
But don't let that stop you from planting it, you are the greatest expert on your own taste.

Happy growing

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »

I understand your point (i think) but it seems the hang up is the choice of wording.
New name and Rename is not the same as multiple names.

A person can have multiple names or nicknames but renaming that person is a redifferent concept.

PIN may have decided to sell Young under a different name but that doesn't mean everyone else excepts it as a replacement name.
The same website that is being used as a source has it listed website a Young, so it might be fair to say it now has two common names. (as unfortunate as it may be).

@cape coral bob

As for taste. I'm glad the OP likes it.
The fruit doesnt suffer from much (don't know about the new diseases though) and is productive.
I'm personally not a fan as are many growers in the Soflo area.
But don't let that stop you from planting it, you are the greatest expert on your own taste.

Happy growing

And the definition of rename doesn't necessary say to replace old name