Author Topic: Help me choose some mango varieties!  (Read 1891 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Help me choose some mango varieties!
« on: July 28, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »
I have 2 more spots in my greenhouse for in-ground trees and want to put some mangoes there. Already have mallika and ndm, but want to topwork the ndm because of anthracnose. What are some recommendations? What are some of the top varieties? Also have a question about planting mango seeds. Do I have to remove the husk before planting the seed? Or can I just throw the seed in some soil?

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Help me choose some mango varieties!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 04:12:23 PM »
You cant go wrong with Pickering mango, another nice variety would be Carrie.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 04:37:53 PM »
I always take the seed out of the husk and put the seed in between damp
paper towels for a few days and let it germinate. I think it makes the process go
quicker but be careful you don't chip part of the seed when you remove it from the
husk. I noticed some seeds fill the husk completely and I cut the edge off with
good scissiors until I can get my fingers in and pry apart. Some husks the seed fills
about 3/4 of the husk and you can cut apart the empty section and pry easy. I just
started 16 turpentines and they fill the husk completely and I broke a few seeds

I produced 6 sweet tarts this year and was really impressed with the flavor.
I also just ate about 8 Carries this past week and I like those too. Both I would suggest
trying first hand before you plant.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 04:46:35 PM »
You cant go wrong with Pickering mango, another nice variety would be Carrie.
Just got a pickering from another forum member, waiting for it to ripen up. Have tried lemon zest, but something doesn't taste right ???  The sad thing is since I don't live in FL and with the corona, I wasn't able to go during mango season so just trying to find varieties based on other peoples tastes lol.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 05:21:16 PM »
Since it sounds like it's inside a greenhouse and size might be an issue I agree with Pickering and Honey Kiss but I would make room for a Dwarf Hawaiian to. All three are precocious and it would give you the coconut the classic and West Indies taste profiles
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 05:25:35 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 06:04:05 PM »
Cotton candy supposed to be may kept stay small but I don't know if there's any diseases issues

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 07:42:00 PM »
I always take the seed out of the husk and put the seed in between damp
paper towels for a few days and let it germinate. I think it makes the process go
quicker but be careful you don't chip part of the seed when you remove it from the
husk. I noticed some seeds fill the husk completely and I cut the edge off with
good scissiors until I can get my fingers in and pry apart. Some husks the seed fills
about 3/4 of the husk and you can cut apart the empty section and pry easy. I just
started 16 turpentines and they fill the husk completely and I broke a few seeds

I produced 6 sweet tarts this year and was really impressed with the flavor.
I also just ate about 8 Carries this past week and I like those too. Both I would suggest
trying first hand before you plant.

This works but have had 100% germination just taking the seed out and planting it in dirt this year... I kept having mold issues with the paper towel method last year. Some rain water and it only takes a few days here...

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 09:58:09 PM »
Cotton candy supposed to be may kept stay small but I don't know if there's any diseases issues

Cotton Candy doesn't stay small.  It is a medium vigor tree.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 10:03:08 PM »
Since it sounds like it's inside a greenhouse and size might be an issue I agree with Pickering and Honey Kiss but I would make room for a Dwarf Hawaiian to. All three are precocious and it would give you the coconut the classic and West Indies taste profiles

Dwarf Hawaiian is early season, while Pickering is mid season. Honey Kiss is mid to late season. All three, the last two especially, are quite productive.   

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 10:29:38 PM »
  Since most of the top-tier mango trees are vigorous top work your ndm with cecilove. They say it is very manageable and is a sweet tart junior.

https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/cecilove-zill-34-24
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:32:10 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 08:23:50 AM »

Cotton Candy doesn't stay small.  It is a medium vigor tree.

Agreed

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 08:32:35 AM »
  Since most of the top-tier mango trees are vigorous top work your ndm with cecilove. They say it is very manageable and is a sweet tart junior.

https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/cecilove-zill-34-24

Curious to know where you found info on the vigor, I was never able to find any.
As for taste, if found it very similar to sweet-tart as well.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
I asked a young fellow from homestead who's in the know and that's all I'm saying :)

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 04:12:23 PM »
Just tried pickering, maha, and lemon zest all at once. The pickering was probably not a peak of flavor and it had a classic mango flavor. I liked the maha, but it was a little flavorless towards one part of it. The winner was lemon zest so will probably try to get a tree. Thanks for the help achetadomestica- the scissors help a lot- after taking the seeds out my fingers always feel like they are falling off. The maha seed was big, so I cut the bottom half off. Big mistake the seed already sprouted and I cut the sprout :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk