Author Topic: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)  (Read 174550 times)

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
Re: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »

Certain cultures, value certain flavors and foods more than others, and unfortunately I don't think we have a large presence of these nationalities and backgrounds in our member roster.

I could just be wrong, and stereotyping people...but this is how I felt by reading the top 5's...our roster consists of mainly European and Latin ethnic members....?

I guess we need to get more Indian, Asian, and African members! 

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2012, 07:53:52 AM »
My list is going to look really odd, but if we are talking any fruit, the ones I would miss the most if I couldn't have them ever again:
1) blueberries
2) raspberries
3) strawberries
4) mango
5) banana

But what other fruit are totally yummy and I jump at the chance to eat them:
Mangosteen, sapodilla, pineapple, rollinia, rambutan/pulasan, apricots, cherimoya just to mane a few.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »
This thread is a great excuse to try new fruits, or those that we sampled once or twice and didn't appreciate.

murahilin:   Do you grow your own watermelon?  If so, is there a variety that sweetens reliably for you?   I have bad luck with store-bought melons (and apples, and mangos of course.)
This isn't really watermelon growing country down here.  You have to go up farther north in the State, and the best are grown out of the state.  During watermelon season (mid summer, drive down 441between Lake Worth Road to just south of Boynton Beach Boulevard.  You will find people selling watermelons on the side of the road.  You must be cautious and ask questions to ensure their origin (some are actually brought directly from the fields but some people do nothing more than pick them up from the packing houses so they are the same, or similar, to what you'd get in Publix).  Find the right person and you will get an excellent melon.  Of course, you must know how to pick them by weight and sound (growing up in Pennsylvania, we had friends who grew watermelons, yellow ones to be precise, and the best damn watermelon you ever had..he taught me how to pick a watermelon).  Its the non-commercial heirloom varieties that will be the best but since they don't do well commercially for various reasons, you will be hard pressed to find them down here.  Go up to North Carolina and search out the right farms and you might.

Don't get me started about apples.  I worked at my friends apple orchard in high school where they grew at least 20 different varieties.  After eating a fresh picked tree ripened apple, you will never grab one of those gas chambered store bought ones again.  Same with pears and plums (now of course as for pears, and stated earlier by Harry, nothing beats a "Cream of the Crop" Royal Riviera from Harry and Davids.  "The Favorites" aren't bad but the "Cream of the Crop" are truly amazing.

Thanks for the tips.   I'm so old that I can actually remember eating a Red Delicious apple that was delicious.  My uncle planted the tree in Michigan in the fifties. Absolutely no comparison to the beautifully bland apples sold these days.   We also went apple picking, so got fresh Macs and Jonathans and snow apples.  Yumm.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2012, 09:24:32 AM »
In general, Washington State apples (supermarket apples) are nothing but looks and long storage life.  They barely have any flavor.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:06:46 PM by johnb51 »
John

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2012, 10:11:55 AM »
In no particular order,

Cherry
Mango
lychee
mangosteen
peach

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »

Certain cultures, value certain flavors and foods more than others, and unfortunately I don't think we have a large presence of these nationalities and backgrounds in our member roster.

I could just be wrong, and stereotyping people...but this is how I felt by reading the top 5's...our roster consists of mainly European and Latin ethnic members....?

I guess we need to get more Indian, Asian, and African members!

If you look at the member map you will see you are right, but with time i'm sure some asian/indian members will join. Africa is much more difficult to get anyone that has internet access.
Oscar
Oscar

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »

I have difficulty selecting an absolute top 5 fruits.

My problem is that ANY delicious fruit eaten too often, eventually loses its appeal.

I often have these WOW moments from simple things like a really good pear, plum or orange.
Top notch temperate/common fruits can all be very delicious, except they are not exotic or rare in my/our minds.
Basically, we take them for granted.

Having said that, these fruits rate high in my list because
they can be very good, and most they are not easy to come by, here:

1. Mangosteen
2. LongKong
3. Durian
4. sugar apples (love them)
5. lychees

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2012, 04:54:54 AM »
I'd like to sugest this as another FAQ as it seems to come up so often on forums and newsgroups. Maybe a poll could be done and fruits could be rated on a scale from 1-10 by all?
Oscar

Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
I agree with this, we should have a scale rating for all the fruits 1-10. Including temperate climate fruits such as raspberries and apples for comparison. Should be a sticky post/FAQ with a poll and rating with about 30-40 fruits on the list. Taking all the fruits mentioned in this thread and rating them would be a good start.

Here is an example of how we could do a new thread fruit rating post.

Apple: Taste 8 /Texture 10, Fresh/Juice/Prepared(order in which the fruit is best used, prepared includes baked, canned, salad, wine, etc.)

Coconut: Taste 7 / Texture 7, Juice/Prepared/Fresh

Dragonfruit: Taste 8 / Texture 8, Fresh/Juice

Lychee: Taste 9 / Texture 10, Fresh/Juice

Sapodilla: Taste 8 / Texture 6, Fresh/Prepared/Juice
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:08:14 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2012, 03:16:12 PM »
I agree with this, we should have a scale rating for all the fruits 1-10. Including temperate climate fruits such as raspberries and apples for comparison. Should be a sticky post/FAQ with a poll and rating with about 30-40 fruits on the list. Taking all the fruits mentioned in this thread and rating them would be a good start.

Apple: Taste 8 /Texture 10, Fresh/Juice/Prepared(order in which the fruit is best used, prepared includes baked, canned, salad, wine, etc.)

There would have to be a disclaimer to kee the rating honest:  All fruits arated based on fresh grown/picked and/or tree ripened.  You can't compare an apple picked and eaten directly from an orchard to those purchased from a grocery store.

Also, you are giving dragonfuit way too much props/credit.
- Rob

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
Well, There are so many to choose from! :)

My Top 5
1.Marula
2.Lychee
3.Fig's
4.Cherimoya
5.Watermelon

In South Africa, Marula is king and the rest follow's :), They are absolutely Fantastic!!! Has anyone tried Marula?
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »

There would have to be a disclaimer to kee the rating honest:  All fruits arated based on fresh grown/picked and/or tree ripened.  You can't compare an apple picked and eaten directly from an orchard to those purchased from a grocery store.

Also, you are giving dragonfuit way too much props/credit.

Bsbullie,

I thought the same until I tasted a vine ripened good variety fruit. The stuff carried in most grocery stores and farmers markets are trash. I tasted a fruit from Rodney's Vietnamese Giant. There is a wide variation in fruit quality of the Dragon Fruit.

'Vietnamese Giant' Dragon Fruit

Jack,

I have not tried Marula, but have heard wonderful things about it. I am sort of growing it, I got seedlings from a friend which we then planted them into a local wilderness space. I am hoping the seedlings thrive eventually providing fruit and nuts.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:23:33 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
I'd like to sugest this as another FAQ as it seems to come up so often on forums and newsgroups. Maybe a poll could be done and fruits could be rated on a scale from 1-10 by all?
Oscar

Good idea! I'll see what I can do.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2012, 09:40:01 PM »
Lets pretend berries are fruits too for a moment so I can mention cloudberries. I could eat myself sick on those right off the bushes. The best fruit/berry ever, with a complex out-of-this-world sour flavor.  After that comes mango and all that jazz than everyone else has listed.

Tomas

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2012, 10:38:11 PM »
Lets pretend berries are fruits too for a moment so I can mention cloudberries. I could eat myself sick on those right off the bushes. The best fruit/berry ever, with a complex out-of-this-world sour flavor.  After that comes mango and all that jazz than everyone else has listed.

Tomas

What do you mean berries aren't fruit?

Redfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2012, 03:38:59 AM »
My top 5 would have to be:

Mango- nothing beats the perfect mango
Lychees- highly addictive and a close second
Watermelon- end of May Georgia watermelons are perfect
Avocados- hated them growing up, love them now
Blueberries - ripe rabbiteye from my farm in NW Florida

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »

Tomas

I have to agree- cloudberries are among my favorite fruits (Ugni molinae, or Chilean Guava, which I am growing, are a close second).  I've tried growing cloudberries but they always croak over the summer- apparently the lower elevations of Colorado are still too warm for them.  Perhaps if I owned some mountaintop tundra property...

Has anyone tried growing cloudberries in containers and bringing them inside to avoid the heat of summer?  I know this isn't exactly a tropical fruit ("arctic fruit" may be a better description) but it is very tasty, even with the large seeds.

Kevin

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
Mango
Lychee
Cherimoya
Dragonfruit-preferably with Brix close to 18.0, red or purple fleshed unless its the yellow DF
Mara Des Boise/Chilean Guava 8)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2012, 10:27:36 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Glad to hear that there are others that also enjoy cloudberries. I Sweden where I grew up they grow in the semi-swampy bog and you pick them in August. You have to be equipped with 3 things to pick cloudberries: tall boots, bug spray, and an alert eye for bears.  They only grow in the Northern part of Sweden. Too hot in the southern Sweden for cloudberries. Imagine that. Anyway, you asked about growing cloudberries in containers. Yes you can do that and there are different cultivares too to choose from. There are places in Sweden that sell cloudberries in pots but I have never tried myself.

Tomas

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »
Tuttong
Nyekek
Durian utan
Okak
Isu

gouralata

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2012, 02:02:32 PM »
1) Mango
2) Pommerac (Malay Apple)
3) Banana
4) Sapodilla
5) Governer Plum (Hog Plum)

Honourable mention: Portugal (Trinidad Clementine)
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
To Floridagreenman :  Also in this group, are those Mangos grown in places like Peru and Mexico that are picked a month before they
are mature, then refrigerated, hot dipped according to USDA requirements and sold here in Florida and elsewhere
in the US for 50cts to $1. The vast majority of these are HORRIBLE 

You should try the same fruits ripened on the trees here !!!!

My list :

Temperate fruits:

The good old fashion white peaches my grandma used to grow back home in Belgium
Pears idem as above
Plum ' Reine Claude '
Cherries
The strawberries I used to grow back home

Tropical fruit :

Durion and Chempedak
Marang and Mangosteen
Litchee
Mango
Several Eugenias , Myrciarias and Plinia edulis

Since there is still a lot of fruits that I have not tasted yet , this list may change over the years.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »
1. sugar apple
2. durian
3. mangosteen
4. longan
5. jackfruit

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »
1) Mango
2) Pommerac (Malay Apple)
3) Banana
4) Sapodilla
5) Governer Plum (Hog Plum)

Honourable mention: Portugal (Trinidad Clementine)

Do you know any where to get pommerac in S FL?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
A poll on Top Favorite Fruits can be voted on and read at the link below.  I urrge those who have not yet voted in the poll to add your thinking.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16.msg55#msg55
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.