7 (2.8%)
avocado
2 (0.8%)
sapodilla
3 (1.2%)
malay apple
1 (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: favorite tropical/subtropical fruit poll  (Read 20968 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
favorite tropical/subtropical fruit poll
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:12:53 AM »
you can vote 3 times so vote for your top 3

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: favorite tropical/subtropical fruit poll
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:44:33 AM »
This poll is helping me choose which fruits to grow.  I hope more readers will take the poll!

John
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:00:09 AM by jcaldeira »
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:11:01 AM »
atemoya

Rollinia

garcinia fruits!

and the rest?!!

Annona fruits of all types
Sapotaceous fruits of all types

and of course all that other jazz...like mango, jabo, white sapote, blah blah blah.
they all taste amazing, but if they are readily available, they aren't at the top of my list!

i like the hard to find, and limited quantities type fruits!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:56:27 AM »
Adam,

Have you ever tried saguaro cactus fruit? Its been one of those fruits I wanted to try.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:33:07 AM »
You know this is the Lays pole..."you can't pick just three"  ;D 8)
- Rob

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »
No pineapple?

NedNickerson

• Northern Illinois, for now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
And atemoyas and bananas.

*** mod edit:  good suggestions, it's added to the list. ***
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:14:23 AM by Tim »

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »
Longkong?

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »
I've never tried all of those, so I voted for Lychee, Mango, Atemoya(or just all the Annonas)

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
Did I overlook avocado?  Or is it not a tropical/subtropical fruit?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »
What happen to Sapodilla?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »
Longkong?

Longkong is an awesome fruit that probably most of earth's inhabitants have never had the pleasure to try. Poor people!  ;)  Longkong (sometimes spelled dongkong) is very similar to langsat, in case you've heard of that one, which is a bit more commonly known. Was developed and is mostly sold in Thailand, but is now gaining popularity also in the Phillippines, Indonesia, and Malaysia. But longkong is way better and bigger than langsat. Langsat has grapefruit-like bitterness in it and seeds. Longkong lacks both of those and is about 2x bigger. Another plus is that longkong is faster growing and fruiting. Langsats are painfully slow, even slower fruiting than mangosteen! When i was in Thailand i noticed i prefered eating longkong to mangosteens....
Oscar

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »
How do we re-vote?

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »
I see mangosteen has been voted for a few times...What are y'alls sources for purchasing this phantom of fruits?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »
Longkong?

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansium_domesticum

I included it because I think Jay is rather a fan

Lycheeluva, that wikipedia link says almost zero about longkong. This is a much better source of info. Note that dokong = longkong:
http://azmiyahkadir.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/locxal-fruits-duku-dokong-and-langsat.html
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
Longkong is just the best of the Lansium domesticum fruits closely follwed by duku-langsat,duku,langsat and then kokosan.Langsats are the most cold hardy with duku and kokosan being equatorial.These 5 lineages embrace several hundred varieties.L.domesticum is really a composite of several species and seeds are really nucellar inclusions as it has been domesticated so long.
Voting on favourites cannot change a fundamental truth.Durian is the king and mangosteen is the queen and that's just the way it is. They were the first species for my yard quickly followed by longkong.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »
Longkong is just the best of the Lansium domesticum fruits closely follwed by duku-langsat,duku,langsat and then kokosan.Langsats are the most cold hardy with duku and kokosan being equatorial.These 5 lineages embrace several hundred varieties.L.domesticum is really a composite of several species and seeds are really nucellar inclusions as it has been domesticated so long.
Voting on favourites cannot change a fundamental truth.Durian is the king and mangosteen is the queen and that's just the way it is. They were the first species for my yard quickly followed by longkong.

Durian: king and mangosteen: queen only in Thailand. In India the king is the mango. They never talk about a queen of fruits. In China the king is lychee. Anyway, one man's king is another man's dictator.  ;) To me the king is the fruit i pluck of any of my trees and eat right there in the garden. The queen is the fruit i pluck off the tree and take to my kitchen for further preparation.
Never heard of kokosan. What is it? Any references? Thanks.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 11:41:55 PM »
I think the seasoned tropical fruit campaigner will always return to the comfort of durian and mangosteen if they are in the market for quality.My trees are staging a comeback after some 'wind' problems.
So far as lansium goes duku has by far the largest fruit and my cv johore has dragged its ass for years while I'm waiting for fruit.Of all the longkongs, dokong-air is sweet and almost seedless being common on the streets of thailand.Their langsat utturadit is a mutant masquerading as a duku-langsat and tastes almost as good as longkong.Kokosan is just the sour indonesian representative in villages and closer to the wild type. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 11:47:38 PM »

Durian: king and mangosteen: queen only in Thailand. In India the king is the mango. They never talk about a queen of fruits. In China the king is lychee. Anyway, one man's king is another man's dictator.  ;) To me the king is the fruit i pluck off any of my trees and eat right there in the garden. The queen is the fruit i pluck off the tree and take to my kitchen for further preparation.
Never heard of kokosan. What is it? Any references? Thanks.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »
I think the seasoned tropical fruit campaigner will always return to the comfort of durian and mangosteen if they are in the market for quality.My trees are staging a comeback after some 'wind' problems.
So far as lansium goes duku has by far the largest fruit and my cv johore has dragged its ass for years while I'm waiting for fruit.Of all the longkongs, dokong-air is sweet and almost seedless being common on the streets of thailand.Their langsat utturadit is a mutant masquerading as a duku-langsat and tastes almost as good as longkong.Kokosan is just the sour indonesian representative in villages and closer to the wild type.

To me durian is in a class all of its own. I cannot compare it to other dessert fruits, like mangosteen, lychee, mango. Durian is a meal in itself, it can fill you up, and keep you full for hours, it's not an after meal, or between meal snack/delight like the others.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »
I wonder if pulsan were changed to pulasan or meritam it would get more votes.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »

Mangosteen is good, Durian... not so much. I wouldn't include anywhere near my top 20 fruits. I've tried it multiple times hoping to like it every time but it never happens. I don't care for the texture or the taste.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 10:51:11 AM »
Looks like we have some winners of this poll.

The still undefeated Champion..."Mango" and Runnerup Lychee. The next poll should be favorite variety of each fruit. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »

Mangosteen is good, Durian... not so much. I wouldn't include anywhere near my top 20 fruits. I've tried it multiple times hoping to like it every time but it never happens. I don't care for the texture or the taste.

While murahilin and I don't often agree on fruit flavor preference, I am solidly with him on durian.  I don't mind the smell, I am not crazy about the testure and the flavor to me is weird.  Its not bad tasting, its just wierd. I can't understand what the fuss is about by those that extoll its qualities.  Now I know I haven't had as many cultivars as some of you.  However, I have had durian both fresh (two different sources) and frozen and I come away underwhelmed each time. I would, as well, like to find one that makes me say WOW......but so far, the strongest thing that I can say about it is that eating it is a full day's experience. It is defnitely the flavor that just keeps on giving as subsequent belches remind you of your earlier experience for all too many hours. Maybe my digestive tract has a slight durian intolerance or do the extollers of this fruit "enjoy" similar results?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk