Author Topic: Must have mulberries (looking for new varieties)  (Read 47410 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Must have mulberries (looking for new varieties)
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
Finally got some paper mulberries ripening.  The pulp on the first crop seems scant, but I like the way it tastes...maybe they'll start to fill out more, like I've seen in other pics.  Oh well, I'm happy to have finally tasted some.  :)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 06:28:38 PM »
I have tried paper mulberries in a few different places in the world and tried my first ones in paraguey when I didnt know what they were and again in vietnam. There isnt much flesh on them, but the flesh they do have taste alot like a fig if you turned it inside out, with the flesh being very soft. There also seems to be some variability between trees with some trees producing more than others. I collected seeds in Vietnam, but found out from literature they they can be very invasive, so I didnt bring them in. On my family's farm we have many old male trees and they sucker up all over the place but look really cool. The trees are over 80 years old and are covered in knoppy growths. Birds can spread them very easily too. I did like them a bit and as said I have male suckers all over the place and in the future wouldn't mind a scion to grow, I'll just to graft it onto a sucker and keep it in greenhouse so that none of the seeds could get outside. Males produce a lot of pollen and can cause seasonal allergies. Also there are many many varieties of mulberries here in china and I am sure that most of them are only here in china. I read a paper a while back and it talked about 10 or so species of mulberries being native including several morus macroura being huge. There was a species with even longer fruits that were loose and looked very similar to catkins and not a blackberry.
BTW does anyone grow Morus rubra? Are there any improved varieties? I have several different M negra, M alba, and M macroura but have never seen or tried the only one that is native to the states. There are also many other species of mulberries out there too like M texanas and lots of other asian sp.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:31:59 PM by murraystevena2 »

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Rob, is the green different than the white variety? I had a white mulberry planted at my fathers house and it was average flavor.  I don't know the actual botanical name, but I am wondering if the green you guys have is different/better than the one I am referring to?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
What varieties do they feed to the silkworms?

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
Although its common and offered at plant sales I don't see it listed in this thread....so, i can recommend the Tice variety as a good one.   Fruit is good.  Tree gets large quick though.  Large leaf and is a pretty tree.  Production has been sparse for me, but that could be that I don't care for the tree that much, if at all.  I just stuck a cutting in the ground and forgot about it and now is around ten feet.

I've also had the Thai Everbearing one but it had to be removed as it got too big and dropped too much fruit on pavement.  Its one of the most ornamental ones with a weeping habit.  The fruit is small, prolific, and tasty.    More of a novelty than anything else though, and very common.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
one year old thread, but just want to say my TICE mulberry is extremely loaded with ripe fruit right now.    Wife said she will make mulberry pie tomorrow!  Woot!   

Tice is a good one. 

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2014, 11:22:44 PM »
the himalayan mulberries at fruit and spice park are incredible...best i have ever had.  They are juicy and sweet, even when unripe.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

puzzle5112

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 03:16:31 PM »
Has anyone ever tasted a paper mulberry fruit?

Hi Adam

I tried paper mulberry several times but I think its insipid. ::)

Leo

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 05:10:58 PM »
back at it again...I'm on a mulberry mission...

just planted a pair of white mulberries today....

i've noticed that this variety (i know there are several white mulberry varieties) has the most beautiful shape when the tree grows.  It is very well behaved, and not as shrubby as some of the common types I've seen...I wish I had a pic of the mother tree....it was the prettiest mulberry tree I've seen.

does anyone have any exciting info about mulberries?

I'm ready to expand my collection...so this is a subject of interest to me now.  I finally have space to plant!

on a side note, there is another mulberry tree that grows along a canal in the Winter Park FL area....it must be 50 yrs old the trunk is like an oak tree....but I remember the fruit being excellent...much better than the other trees I've tasted locally.  Fruits were not very large, and you could eat them slightly early without being too acidic.  I will have to get cuttings again while the tree is dormant.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 05:22:42 PM »
I dont know if its a specific variety or not but the white mulberry is considered a superfood.

Excalibur has a white mulberry,  in addition to their green mulberry,  however i have not tasted the fruit yet so i can't comment on it.  So far, their green mulberry is the best tasting mulberry i have tasted, hands down.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2015, 05:30:45 PM »
I dont know if its a specific variety or not but the white mulberry is considered a superfood.

Excalibur has a white mulberry,  in addition to their green mulberry,  however i have not tasted the fruit yet so i can't comment on it.  So far, their green mulberry is the best tasting mulberry i have tasted, hands down.

are they grafting those? or rooting them?

these white mulberries I got are not the easiest to root...only about 50% seem to take...unlike the common mulberries which are 80% successful or more.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
I believe they are grafted.   Will check and let you know.
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
My kids love mulberries to the point that I rarely get to eat any. We have two mulberry trees which was a mistake as they get huge. We also have a dwarf mulberry bush that is pretty much everbearing (black fruit). Are there any other dwarfing varieties that do well in containers? The one we have is kept at just 2 - 3 feet tall and is always loaded with mulberries.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2015, 08:22:52 PM »
back at it again...I'm on a mulberry mission...

just planted a pair of white mulberries today....

i've noticed that this variety (i know there are several white mulberry varieties) has the most beautiful shape when the tree grows.  It is very well behaved, and not as shrubby as some of the common types I've seen...I wish I had a pic of the mother tree....it was the prettiest mulberry tree I've seen.

does anyone have any exciting info about mulberries?

I'm ready to expand my collection...so this is a subject of interest to me now.  I finally have space to plant!

on a side note, there is another mulberry tree that grows along a canal in the Winter Park FL area....it must be 50 yrs old the trunk is like an oak tree....but I remember the fruit being excellent...much better than the other trees I've tasted locally.  Fruits were not very large, and you could eat them slightly early without being too acidic.  I will have to get cuttings again while the tree is dormant.

Not sure if it was mentioned on this thread yet, but do yourself a favor next time you go to F&S park, and get cuttings of the tree labeled:  Himalayan mulberry.  Chris was unsure of the label when I asked him, but nevertheless, it is the best I have eaten besides the green mulberry.  It can be eaten while still whitish pink, and has mostly sweet flavor.  It is also fairly long like the pakistani type(s).  It is in the middle of the mulberry thicket, just to the right of the pakistani tree if your back is to the waterfall.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »
 white mulberries are superior to other mulberries i have tasted. they are so nutritious that you can survive off them as a staple food for months at a time - read this in the world was my garden by david fairchild

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
I believe they are grafted.   Will check and let you know.

I picked one up from Excalibur last year and it was grafted.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »
Frankie's nursery on Oahu does air layers on his white mulberry

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2015, 06:35:05 PM »
Planted 3 "giant mulberry" plants today, they were about 5-6 ft tall, with fruit all over them...I thought they can handle wet feet so I planted one in an area that forms a big puddle....

Like a fool, I decided to research mulberry flood tolerance after I planted the trees...and I found some information that suggested they wouldn't tolerate such conditions (with the exception of the red mulberry perhaps)....

I assume the giant mulberry being Morus nigra, would appreciate soil that drains well....so I dug up the plant....which was like pulling a sack of potatoes out of wet concrete..I'm lucky the rootball didn't rip off entirely.

now i have it replanted in a drier spot..ready to plant more mulberries ASAP!

I think i might try to plant the native Red types in the wet spots...I really want to plant something to suck up the water, and to take advantage of an area that's too wet for most crops.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 06:37:30 PM »
Planted 3 "giant mulberry" plants today, they were about 5-6 ft tall, with fruit all over them...I thought they can handle wet feet so I planted one in an area that forms a big puddle....

Like a fool, I decided to research mulberry flood tolerance after I planted the trees...and I found some information that suggested they wouldn't tolerate such conditions (with the exception of the red mulberry perhaps)....

I assume the giant mulberry being Morus nigra, would appreciate soil that drains well....so I dug up the plant....which was like pulling a sack of potatoes out of wet concrete..I'm lucky the rootball didn't rip off entirely.

I think i might try to plant the native Red types in the wet spots...I really want to plant something to suck up the water, and to take advantage of an area that's too wet for most crops.

Adam,

How about Pawpaws in the wet spot? (They don't like completely waterlogged soil, according to online resources). Maybe try a grafted experimental grafts of Annona on A. globiflora?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:48:00 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »

Adam,

How about Pawpaws in the wet spot?

yes for sure!  but i'd be limited to  parviflora...which is not the best tasting fruit..oh well will plant some this year any how...I'm still looking for more flood tolerant crops, that are cold hearty...but that is a different thread....lol.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2015, 06:44:07 PM »

Adam,

yes for sure!  but i'd be limited to  parviflora...which is not the best tasting fruit..oh well will plant some this year any how...I'm still looking for more flood tolerant crops, that are cold hearty...but that is a different thread....lol.

Might be a good location for a Taro patch? Found an article that said Diospyros virginiana had good flood tolerance. I know there was some D. virginiana selections that were reported to be good, no idea how much chill hours would be needed to set fruit.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:47:21 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
thanks nullz!

check the discussion for the topic about plants that can take wet feet!
I'm ready to rehash this subject for 2015

Adam,

Might be a good location for a Taro patch? Found an article that said Diospyros virginiana had good flood tolerance. I know there was some D. virginiana selections that were reported to be good, no idea how much chill hours would be needed to set fruit.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Persian mulberries are indeed delicious, but unfortunately don't do well in tropical areas. There are only a few mulberries that do well in warm climates. So this is something to keep in mind when choosing your mulberry.
Which are the cultivars that do well in warm climates?

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2015, 07:13:55 PM »
IMO You can’t beat an honest Morus Nigra (Persian) for its bright sweet/tart flavor.  I make pies out of them when slightly underripe that would rival cane berries easily for taste (if a little toooo juicy).     Mine only get ripe fruit 2-3 weeks  out of the year... but it produces so much at that time the tree is basically a berry sculpture. :)  Stains everything.. especially your hands. :)

The "long" berry types always seem to be a version of Alba, which just don't taste as good to myself, although still pleasant (by which I mean "mild").
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »
I have a Everbearing and I love it. While it appears to be low on the Mulberry totem poll, can anyone who tasted "Tice" and Giant Mulberry (not sure if it's "FL Giant" or just "Giant", or they are one in the same) have any tart component when fully ripe? I'm not a fan of tart. Some feedback will be apprecieated :). Also, are either suitable for container life (25-45 gal w/ pruning).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers