Author Topic: Raised pineapple beds a success!  (Read 12397 times)

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
Re: Raised pineapple beds a success!
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »

Gwenn: This week I attended a talk in Sarasota given by a pineapple cultivation consultant. Here's a rundown on what he said.

Thanks for the info and taking the time to write it up here.  I love pineapples and it seems once you get them properly planted, they are easy to grow and pest-free. The raised beds worked, so now I will make  changes to my fertilizer schedules as people have suggested and try that ripeness test before cutting them off the plant and I should be in pineapple heaven!

natsgarden123

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »

Just one of my pineapple pots.....With my pineapples-they extremely sweet-I agree with the ripening advice- I let them sit until they are deep yellow and very fragrant

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
Natsgarden123:
Just one of my pineapple pots.....With my pineapples-they extremely sweet-I agree with the ripening advice- I let them sit until they are deep yellow and very fragrant

Were you using 3 gallon pots?
Richard

natsgarden123

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
I have them in 7-15 gallon pots-I put about 4 pups in ( if they are pineapple heads, I place them over water and let them root first)- the plants will grow quickly, if you do nothing to them-only water in times of significant drought. Don't put them in the ground, ever. I use regular potting mix with nothing else added. Dont fertilize. The plants will grow big and in less then a year, they will form a crown with fruit. Once they crown, pups will grow in, everywhere. Let them sit in there, root bound and all. They will fruit. I only start new pups when the old pots are spilling over..The following pineapple was from this past summer. I did root and plant the head, which is now large.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk