Author Topic: First flowers on a mango, Woo Hoo!  (Read 6574 times)

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
First flowers on a mango, Woo Hoo!
« on: November 16, 2018, 11:28:20 AM »
Was out in the yard yesterday and noticed my Rosigold Mango tree was starting to push flower pannicles. Hope I can keep it warm enough through the winter to get some early fruit! March/April would be awsome!:) Anyone else in Florida seeing bloom yet?

E.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: First flowers on a mango, Woo Hoo!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »
My mango trees been flowering and forming little mangoes in Southern Cal Zone 9B which I wish they didn't since I planted them in September from 7-15 gallon pots. The branches are too skinny to support any fruit.

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
My Manzanillo is covered all over with flower panicles. I'll post some pics later.  ;)

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 12:24:00 PM »
My mango trees been flowering and forming little mangoes in Southern Cal Zone 9B which I wish they didn't since I planted them in September from 7-15 gallon pots. The branches are too skinny to support any fruit.

What kind of mango? CA is tough because its cool enough to make them flower almost all year long , from what I understand.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 09:11:21 PM »

What kind of mango? CA is tough because its cool enough to make them flower almost all year long , from what I understand.

This is a Maha Chanok, we are having lows of 45-55F for last few weeks.

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »

This is a Maha Chanok, we are having lows of 45-55F for last few weeks.

Nice mango selection. It has a wonderful aroma and tastes fantastic! I have one about 9 ft. tall and still waiting for it to flower for the first time. Hopefully this year ;D You might wait until your fruits get to pea or acorn size and then pick them off. this may mitigate the plant trying to flower again.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »
Flowers on the Rosigolds, Edwards, Rosas, dwarf Hawaiians and a Graham as well.

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
Nice!! Another of the benefits of having 270 different varieties...  :D :D. Alex, when do you think you will have scions available again?  I'm assuming some of your newer varieties will not flower this year. Will you be selling scions of those earlier than after harvest? I was interested in Orange Essence, M-4, and honey kiss. Possibly some others. Thanks!

E.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 03:53:10 PM »
Nice!! Another of the benefits of having 270 different varieties...  :D :D. Alex, when do you think you will have scions available again?  I'm assuming some of your newer varieties will not flower this year. Will you be selling scions of those earlier than after harvest? I was interested in Orange Essence, M-4, and honey kiss. Possibly some others. Thanks!

E.

April or May depending on if we have another late blooming year. Wouldn’t surprise me if we did as we do not get Winters in south Florida anymore.

All those ought to be available.

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 01:34:05 PM »

E.

April or May depending on if we have another late blooming year. Wouldn’t surprise me if we did as we do not get Winters in south Florida anymore.

Thanks a lot, Alex! I'll check back with you then or email you on the website ;D Now, have to figure out how to try to protect the blooms on the mangoes. It's supposed to get down to 39 degrees tonight and 41 tomorrow night. I will string old style C7 and C9 lights on the tree to help keep it warm. We will see... I was also thinking about spraying with copper for protection of the flowers from anthracnose on the Rosigold. Good idea or not? What do you guys think?

Paquicuba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 04:39:12 PM »
Here is the Manzanillo:

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 04:29:31 AM »

Seriously?  It’s in the low 40s as I type this.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »

Seriously?  It’s in the low 40s as I type this.

And going right back into the 80s by Saturday. Check the projected temps for the first week of December (highs and lows) and compare them to historical average.

Brev Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »

E.

Thanks a lot, Alex! I'll check back with you then or email you on the website ;D Now, have to figure out how to try to protect the blooms on the mangoes. It's supposed to get down to 39 degrees tonight and 41 tomorrow night. I will string old style C7 and C9 lights on the tree to help keep it warm. We will see... I was also thinking about spraying with copper for protection of the flowers from anthracnose on the Rosigold. Good idea or not? What do you guys think?

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 07:03:28 PM »
Flowers on the Rosigolds, Edwards, Rosas, dwarf Hawaiians and a Graham as well.

Are these flowers going to hold mature fruits in Summer? I'm asking because half of my mango trees are having flower now -- not opened yet -- and I don't know if they will make fruits in summer. Typical flowers in March-April are the real fruit making ones, in SoCal climate.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
Guava mango in bloom with Phoenix not far behind

Paquicuba

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
Butterflies are going crazy over the flowers today.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
Guava mango in bloom with Phoenix not far behind

How big is the Guava tree? How long has it been in the ground?

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
About 7x6 and going into 4th season

Had two fruit last year and made my top ten

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 10:15:20 PM »
About 7x6 and going into 4th season

Had two fruit last year and made my top ten

I have one planted in my yard. It is an awesome mango. Is in my top 5.

Paquicuba

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
I have one planted in my yard. It is an awesome mango. Is in my top 5.

Is the Guava Mango the same that PlantOGram calls GuaMango? The fruit shape they show on their site doesn't look like the one Walter Zill is holding in a Truly Tropical video.

Also, PlantOGram describes the tree as a semi-dwarf, is that statement accurate? or again, are they referring to a different mango variety?

Thanks for the clarification!

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
Also, PlantOGram describes the tree as a semi-dwarf, is that statement accurate? or again, are they referring to a different mango variety?

I don’t know if what they’re selling is Walter Zill’s ‘Guava’, but if it is then I would say “No”.

Paquicuba

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 10:53:14 AM »
I don’t know if what they’re selling is Walter Zill’s ‘Guava’, but if it is then I would say “No”.

Thanks Squam!

That's what I thought based on Truly Tropical's video.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 01:53:54 PM »

The tree growing in my yard doesn't show any signs of being a dwarf or semi-dwarf. 

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 07:28:38 PM »
So these flowers will hold fruits through the winter and ripe summer, in FL? I'm not sure the same in SoCal for mangoes having flowers now in December. Could someone confirm this? All of my fruits were from flowers in March and April.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 09:20:45 PM »
So these flowers will hold fruits through the winter and ripe summer, in FL? I'm not sure the same in SoCal for mangoes having flowers now in December. Could someone confirm this? All of my fruits were from flowers in March and April.

I thought it was an easy answer for you guys in FL with many years experience in mango. Anyone?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 10:40:24 PM »

I thought it was an easy answer for you guys in FL with many years experience in mango. Anyone?

I guess the answer is yes.
But if we do get a freeze or something like that the fruit will probably fall

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 10:45:18 PM »

Not all trees mango flower at this time of the year; some trees have started flowering, but most trees are covered in bloom only by Mid-December-January. And yes, trees that are flowering now will hold fruits that will start ripening from about April/May, like Rosigold and Dwarf Hawaiian. Many varieties will bloom multiple times, and will hold mangoes of varying size through the summer.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
Fruits forming on my tiny Maha Chanok, it was planted in ground from a 3-gallon pot in September. Too bad that the fruits need to go to let the tree grow.

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »
I had an early bloom last year that froze but ended up having fruit when they were supposed too