Author Topic: Anthracnose Resistance - Mango  (Read 14523 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Anthracnose Resistance - Mango
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »
Hello,

I found this excellent post by Harry last year on another forum. I would like to paste it in here because it's part of my question. I now have Lemon Zest and Pickering. How would these mango varieties fit into this list that Harry wrote (based on what he grows). It's even alphabetic!

R= resistant
 MR= moderatley resistant
 NR= not resistantat all

Alphonse India.......NR
Bombay India.........MR
Carabao Philippines..R
Cogshall Florida.....R
Edward Florida.......R
Fairchild Florida....R
Glenn Florida .......R
Golden Lippens.......R
Haden Florida .......NR
Irwin Florida .......R
Julie................NR
Keitt Florida .......R
Kent Florida ........R
Lancetilla Honduras..MR
Madame Francis.......R
Nam Doc Mai..........R
Tommy Atkins ........R
Valencia Pride.......MR
Van Dyke ............R
Zill Florida.........MR

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Anthracnose Resistance - Mango
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
Pickering is certainly resistant!

it went through hell, and still set fruits this year...humid, water on blooms after fruit set, and in shaded greenhouse up against my porch....I kept accidentally wetting blooms, but they set so many fruit I have to thin!

VIVA Mr. Pickering's virility and his fungus resistant mango with his namesake.  Is Mr. Pickering a short man?? With less incidence of tinea on skin? LOL
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:07:19 AM »
I would have to see pictures as to what the different degrees of infection correspond, but I can tell you I am growing 6 mangos: Nam Doc, Malika, Maha Chanok, Jakarta, CoCo cream, Lemon Zest. Out of those the least resistant is the lemon zest... for a moment it had streaks of anthracnose and even an ant infestation that was farming aphids (it was looking pretty bad) while the most resistant is the nam doc a close second is the CoCo cream. I bought a sprayer and some liquid copper and it took care of the anthracnose issue, as for the ants farming the aphids Sevin worked.

-JoeP450

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »
I would have to see pictures as to what the different degrees of infection correspond, but I can tell you I am growing 6 mangos: Nam Doc, Malika, Maha Chanok, Jakarta, CoCo cream, Lemon Zest. Out of those the least resistant is the lemon zest... for a moment it had streaks of anthracnose and even an ant infestation that was farming aphids (it was looking pretty bad) while the most resistant is the nam doc a close second is the CoCo cream. I bought a sprayer and some liquid copper and it took care of the anthracnose issue, as for the ants farming the aphids Sevin worked.

-JoeP450

My Lemon Zest seems to have a pretty good case of black sooty mold as well.  Not sure if this is a matter of where I planted it, a sun exposure issue or whether susceptability to this is endemic to the cultivar.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »

My Lemon Zest seems to have a pretty good case of black sooty mold as well.  Not sure if this is a matter of where I planted it, a sun exposure issue or whether susceptability to this is endemic to the cultivar.

Harry

Harry,

Is your lemon zest surrounded by large trees?
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »
Harry planted his LZ in the furthest worst part of his yard destined to suffer because he fears it will take the crown of his inferior Maha Chanoks.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »
Harry planted his LZ in the furthest worst part of his yard destined to suffer because he fears it will take the crown of his inferior Maha Chanoks.

I can't believe Harry would do that..  >:(

:P   ;)  lol
Alexi

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:07:26 PM »

Definitely not true.  The tree is planted along my north fence and gets full sun minus maybe a hour or two in the very early morning as the result of the large longan seedling growing next to it.  I am more than happy to admit LZ is better than Maha Chanok if it truly is.  Time will tell.  Maybe there was a time when I was the only one that had Maha Chanok that I might have been more tempted to allow my judgment to be corrupted by the prospect that I might one day profit from selling Mahas to all of you.  But now, since other folks and nurseries have made all the money on this and you all have one in your collection, I have no reason to not give LZ a fair testing.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
Harry, or you could just rename your maha to something like sweetheart chonook TM just in time for valentine's day and maybe make a profit.....har har har still up in arms about the changing of cultivar names and such and branding nonsense, I'm even annoyed that when I go onto top tropicals website they have the same stock photo used to represent Irwin, CoCo Cream, and St. Maui mangos!

If anyone has any pics of the Lz or CC fruit please post.

_JoeP450

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Here in the rain forest of PR, seems like nothing has much resistance to anthracnose except the garbage mangos. We have really wet Nov/Dec and even into January these last few years.   But things that flower later (Feb/March) during our dry period have a better chance.  Julie always gives me something just because it sends up flowers throughout the year.  Anyone know of other mango varieties that flower multiple times through out the year?

My Edward flowers in January and it never sets fruit even after spraying copper.  It blooms it's heart out, but nothing. The fungus always wins. It is about 4-5 years old now and getting too tall for me to reach the top most branches to spray, so I may go in for a serious pugging. My hope is that if I can keep the new branches healthy,  I might have a better chance next year.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 11:47:05 AM »
I remember seeing in a presentation that they were breeding different Mangifera species with M. indica to increase anthracnose resistance in mango. My notes says that one of the crosses was NMBP4069 x M. laurina. The NMBP4069 was an Irwin x Kensington Pride cross. The crosses were all done by hand pollination of individual flowers to make sure they get the exact crosses they wanted. I will make a post soon with detailed hand pollination instructions.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 01:43:45 AM »
@Gwennin yep I have the same problem in the DR,  we have been getting a lot of rain this winter , almost every day at least a little come down.

My Ice Cream mango has flowered for the first time, and have been spraying with copper every week, but it usually rains within a few hours. I dont have Anthracnose, but seem to have powdery mildew on a few leaves.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:39:20 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
I remember seeing in a presentation that they were breeding different Mangifera species with M. indica to increase anthracnose resistance in mango. My notes says that one of the crosses was NMBP4069 x M. laurina. The NMBP4069 was an Irwin x Kensington Pride cross. The crosses were all done by hand pollination of individual flowers to make sure they get the exact crosses they wanted. I will make a post soon with detailed hand pollination instructions.

I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to do some mango variety crosses myself.  :)
Alexi

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »
Mura, you are pretty into mangos/mangiferas for not being a 'mango lover'...  ;)

BTW, talking about anacardiae, you said you like Spondias purpurea a lot. Do you also like other Spondias? Have you ever tried S. pinnata?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 05:01:03 PM »
Mura, you are pretty into mangos/mangiferas for not being a 'mango lover'...  ;)

BTW, talking about anacardiae, you said you like Spondias purpurea a lot. Do you also like other Spondias? Have you ever tried S. pinnata?

With most fruit, I think I like the trees more than the fruit. The breeding of and finding new varieties interest me far more than eating the fruit.

I think I enjoy the S. purpurea fruit more than the tree. Jeff and his wife gave me a really large S. purpurea var. lutea to try that was excellent. I am not even sure if it purpurea.

So far, I love all the spondias I've tried. It may be my favorite genus. I've had at least 3 different species. Have not had pinnata yet though. How is it?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »
Here in the rain forest of PR, seems like nothing has much resistance to anthracnose except the garbage mangos. We have really wet Nov/Dec and even into January these last few years.   But things that flower later (Feb/March) during our dry period have a better chance.  Julie always gives me something just because it sends up flowers throughout the year.  Anyone know of other mango varieties that flower multiple times through out the year?

My Edward flowers in January and it never sets fruit even after spraying copper.  It blooms it's heart out, but nothing. The fungus always wins. It is about 4-5 years old now and getting too tall for me to reach the top most branches to spray, so I may go in for a serious pugging. My hope is that if I can keep the new branches healthy,  I might have a better chance next year.

We have same anthracnose problem here in Hawaii. At least in PR you do have a dry season. Not the case here, can rain all year. I've been trialing about 50 mango cultivars to see which can fare the best in our climate. Too early for conclusive statements, but so far these are the cultivars that have fruitest the best: Florigon, Fairchild, Brook's Late, Rapoza, Golden Globe, Neelam. Have a bunch of Thai and Indian mangos that have yet to flower. I think in very rainy places the best bet are other mangifera species that are adapted to high elevations and rainfall, like M. odorata and M. kasturi.
Oscar
Oscar

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
We have same anthracnose problem here in Hawaii. At least in PR you do have a dry season. Not the case here, can rain all year. I've been trialing about 50 mango cultivars to see which can fare the best in our climate. Too early for conclusive statements, but so far these are the cultivars that have fruitest the best: Florigon, Fairchild, Brook's Late, Rapoza, Golden Globe, Neelam. Have a bunch of Thai and Indian mangos that have yet to flower. I think in very rainy places the best bet are other mangifera species that are adapted to high elevations and rainfall, like M. odorata and M. kasturi.
Oscar

Excellent info Oscar!  So far Rapoza and Florigon have been added to my want list.

@Tropicdude- do you have any mango varieties that fruited well for you?

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
Oscar:
What is the quality and taste of the fruit like with all that rain? Can you rank the cultivars?
Richard

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »
Oscar:
What is the quality and taste of the fruit like with all that rain? Can you rank the cultivars?

The taste is still quite good, even with all the rain. The big problems here are anthracnose causing flowers to drop, too rainy to spray anything, and fruit flies. The drier parts of the island, like Kona and Kau are considered much better places to grow mango. My mango experimental plot is right on the coast, and that helps a lot. My other farm at 600 foot elevation is much harder to get any mangos to fruit. I like them all but i would say my favorite so far is Rapoza, then Golden Glow, then Fairchild, then Brook's Late. The Florigon has a very mild and delicate peachy taste, and can fruit heavily, but seems to be alternate bearing. Neelam, i haven't eaten enough to rate them. Probably these ratings will change as i get to eat more and compare them more.
We are very limited to number of cultivars existing in Hawaii. The Floridians are a lot more wealthy in this respect. So my idea was to introduce a lot more culitvars to see if i can come up with one or two that can brave the tough conditions here.
Oscar
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 09:53:19 PM »
Oscar.....do you know Mike (part time Hawaii resident from Alaska) over in Pahoa.  Has a good bit of property and a load of tropicals, including a nice mango collection.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »
Oscar.....do you know Mike (part time Hawaii resident from Alaska) over in Pahoa.  Has a good bit of property and a load of tropicals, including a nice mango collection.

Harry

Hi Harry, yes i know Alaskan Mike. His place is about 2 miles away from mine. He's here right now and I just visited his farm. He has about 100 cultivars of mango planted, most still young, but some fruiting. So once they are all fruiting we'll definitely have to compare notes.
Oscar
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »
I met Mike many years ago (15+, I think) and he has been to my house on several occasions.  I have supplied him with plant material and seeds for his mango collection and also plant material and seeds for his jakfruit collection.  We were supposed to visit him this past summer, but unplanned circumstances caused us to have to rethink our vacation plans. We'll get over there in the not too distant future, I am hoping.  Mike is a good guy and a beyond avid fruit grower/collector.  He'd be a lot happier camper if you guys had a few less wild pigs.  He is always lamenting his losses from those pesky critters.  I assume you have an issue with them as well.  Anyway, such is life in paradise on what he calls his lava field fields.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »
Mura, I'm not sure how many Spondias species I've tasted so far. The best was one in the amazon the called taperiba, which was pretty big and tasty. I've not tasted S. pinnata. Some sources say it's very tart even fully ripe. I hope it's not the case with my plant. No fruits yet..

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »

I like them all but i would say my favorite so far is Rapoza, then Golden Glow, then Fairchild, then Brook's Late. The Florigon has a very mild and delicate peachy taste, and can fruit heavily, but seems to be alternate bearing. Neelam, i haven't eaten enough to rate them. Probably these ratings will change as i get to eat more and compare them more.
We are very limited to number of cultivars existing in Hawaii. The Floridians are a lot more wealthy in this respect. So my idea was to introduce a lot more culitvars to see if i can come up with one or two that can brave the tough conditions here.
Oscar

Fairchild mangoes get no respect but i rank them high along with the (much maligned) Carrie.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 06:26:51 PM »
I met Mike many years ago (15+, I think) and he has been to my house on several occasions.  I have supplied him with plant material and seeds for his mango collection and also plant material and seeds for his jakfruit collection.  We were supposed to visit him this past summer, but unplanned circumstances caused us to have to rethink our vacation plans. We'll get over there in the not too distant future, I am hoping.  Mike is a good guy and a beyond avid fruit grower/collector.  He'd be a lot happier camper if you guys had a few less wild pigs.  He is always lamenting his losses from those pesky critters.  I assume you have an issue with them as well.  Anyway, such is life in paradise on what he calls his lava field fields.

Harry

Hi Harry, herds of wild pigs were a very big problem for me, knocking around all the nursery pots to grub under them, until i fenced my whole place. Big expense, but really the only way to keep them out permanently. Mike did a very nice job planting all his mangos and other exotics, especially given that he is a "winter bird" farmer--usually only comes here during Alaskan winters.
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk