Author Topic: Fruits of Canary Islands  (Read 7857 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits of Canary Islands
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 05:57:35 PM »
No, for small scale traditional farming. Nashi and kaki grow well but most german kakis i tried are not tasty. And Diospyrus lotus is much smaller but grows much better, produces tons of seedlings.
Teror is a good place for kakis if i remember right. Or Tunte. Not the south coast.

One special thing of the Canaries are the multiple microclimates that go from hot and dry subtropical climate to wet continental in the northern elevations. In fact there used to be templated cultivations like chestnut, almonds, pear, etc. But my souther location at 140 metres over sea level does not have chill ours, but a lot of sun and constant temperature over at least 20 celsius. I have a few kakis, they fruit, but they don't grow much and often suffer sun burns..

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »
One more question. Is the Nam Doc Mai mango available there? I had them in Thailand and they remain my favorite variety to this day.

There are several types of Nam Doc Mai, which has been discussed here long time ago  ::) One of those types is the so called Nam Doc Mai Mun (here only known as Mun). A friend got it from a research station in Asia, I don't recall which one. I must admit it is probably the best NDM that I have tasted: ultra thin seed, great taste and texture. Find attached two pictures.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 06:12:27 PM »

I have seen a guy at Instagram and he is from Oman (Muscat). He is growing mangosteen and Rambutan. However, I do agree with Durian they are hard to grow.

Here is a picture of his Rambutan.

:o wow, I wouldn't have expected that Muscat had the propper climate for rambutan...
well, we have tried it several times and all were failures. I only know of one person who manages to keep it alive for about 15 years in a greenhouse, but has not harvested a single fruit..

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 05:17:36 AM »
One more question. Is the Nam Doc Mai mango available there? I had them in Thailand and they remain my favorite variety to this day.

There are several types of Nam Doc Mai, which has been discussed here long time ago  ::) One of those types is the so called Nam Doc Mai Mun (here only known as Mun). A friend got it from a research station in Asia, I don't recall which one. I must admit it is probably the best NDM that I have tasted: ultra thin seed, great taste and texture. Find attached two pictures.

That's awesome Felipe. Are these widely available in Tenerife or are there particular places that you have to go to get them?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »
That's awesome Felipe. Are these widely available in Tenerife or are there particular places that you have to go to get them?

Grafted plants are sold in one nursery, but it is not the most sold cultivar. The people here not fond of exotic cultivars, they like big, red, late and well known cultivars, like Osteen, Keitt, etc. So its not easy to find fruit, in fact i have never seen someone selling Mun fruits..

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 04:38:56 PM »
Grafted plants are sold in one nursery, but it is not the most sold cultivar. The people here not fond of exotic cultivars, they like big, red, late and well known cultivars, like Osteen, Keitt, etc. So its not easy to find fruit, in fact i have never seen someone selling Mun fruits..

I can't imagine how someone would prefer a red mango over a Nam Doc Mai, but I guess people are more or less the same everywhere -> they're scared to death of trying anything new...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:17:36 AM by nexxogen »

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 04:59:05 AM »
Felipe
I will be sailing to the the Canary Islands as I cross the Atlantic back into the Caribbean possibly this winter if not this winter certainly next I we'll have some time while I'm there perhaps we can get together and you can show me what you have going
www.sailing-charters.org
Www.sailing-charters.org

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2019, 06:14:27 PM »
Sure. Since I'm often travelling, I hope I'm around by the time you arrive. Just let me know ;-)

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 07:58:37 PM »
Will do
Www.sailing-charters.org