Author Topic: Jabo pruning advice  (Read 1533 times)

Kaelix87

• San diego
    • View Profile
Jabo pruning advice
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »

Should I prune this more. I cleared off many small branches from the bottom should I prune more

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Jabo pruning advice
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:45:27 AM »
Did you just transplant that tree? I’ve never seen a Jaboticaba that’s dropped all it’s leaves like that. Is there any sign of life on it like leaf buds?

If you recently transplanted it and damaged a lot of the roots, you can prune/head back a lot of the taller growth. When I transplant trees, I like to prune back the vegetative growth so that the mass of the above ground growth is similar to or less than the mass of the roots. This is to ensure the tree is balanced in terms of water balance and so that the tree doesn’t die.

Simon

Kaelix87

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 04:38:13 PM »
Did you just transplant that tree? I’ve never seen a Jaboticaba that’s dropped all it’s leaves like that. Is there any sign of life on it like leaf buds?

If you recently transplanted it and damaged a lot of the roots, you can prune/head back a lot of the taller growth. When I transplant trees, I like to prune back the vegetative growth so that the mass of the above ground growth is similar to or less than the mass of the roots. This is to ensure the tree is balanced in terms of water balance and so that the tree doesn’t die.

Simon
transplanted the tree a few months ago, there have been some peoples sabara that has done this as well and told me it was normal during winter which had me confused because I was under the impression that jabo trees are evergreen. it is currently pushing out new flushes from the branches.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »
If it’s pushing new leaves, that’s a great sign. My Sabara is evergreen but that’s just my yard. You got a nice sized Sabara, hopefully it will fruit for you soon.

Simon

Kaelix87

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 05:09:30 PM »
If it’s pushing new leaves, that’s a great sign. My Sabara is evergreen but that’s just my yard. You got a nice sized Sabara, hopefully it will fruit for you soon.

Simon
mine gave out fruits last year while it was in the pot. I'm hoping this heavy pruning will redirect energy to getting thicker and producing more fruits instead of trying to keep useless branches alive.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:09:47 PM »

My red jabo dropped all its leaves some weeks ago, mostly on the same day, after holding most of them through the winter. I think it started peeling bark for the first time about the same time. Granted it was on a windy day, but it seemed intentional to me. The leaves had taken frost before, and this was as the weather was warming a bit. My black E. uniflora did the same, though it's been dropping leaves more gradually. It's possible both plants are just dying, but I think they're both just semi-deciduous.

Kaelix87

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 05:50:17 PM »

My red jabo dropped all its leaves some weeks ago, mostly on the same day, after holding most of them through the winter. I think it started peeling bark for the first time about the same time. Granted it was on a windy day, but it seemed intentional to me. The leaves had taken frost before, and this was as the weather was warming a bit. My black E. uniflora did the same, though it's been dropping leaves more gradually. It's possible both plants are just dying, but I think they're both just semi-deciduous.
I thought mine had died after it dropped all its leaves, the bark started peeling all over also.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »
Adam Shafran of Flying Fox Fruits demonstrates how to properly prune a jaboticaba tree.

The goal is to remove the smaller branches, to encourage the caulis to be exposed to more sunlight.

First we prune a Myrciaria trunciflora, and then a Myrciaria aureana.

Take part in the discussion about this video, on the Tropical Fruit Forum. 
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?redir_token=HjjsGjKu3VZxf1A3SeokXlL4QBV8MTU1Mjc3NjU4M0AxNTUyNjkwMTgz&v=PaFH9SvXMdI&q=http%3A%2F%2Ftropicalfruitforum.com%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D14825.0&event=video_description
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaFH9SvXMdI