Author Topic: Blueberries  (Read 1566 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Blueberries
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:05:34 PM »
I have 3 blueberry bushes in 5 gallon pots with wood chip mulch that are doing great and blooming pretty heavily right now but I've heard they like acidic soil.
Should I be adding coffee grounds, or pine mulch on top of these or using an acidic fert?

thanks,

-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:15:48 PM »
I have 3 blueberry bushes in 5 gallon pots with wood chip mulch that are doing great and blooming pretty heavily right now but I've heard they like acidic soil.
Should I be adding coffee grounds, or pine mulch on top of these or using an acidic fert?

thanks,
Kris, I use a mixture of all three on my blue berries (potted and in ground):
(1) Amend soil with sulfur and peat moss;
(2) mulch with pine-needles.
(3) Use Azalea fertilizer or cottonseed when I have it
(4) Measure from time to time with a good pH meter.

BTW, I've read that coffee-grinds only lower the soil pH (or is it acidity) temporarily, but maybe that's just because worms break it down into neutral castings.  It could also be the carbon sequestering ions, etc.

Your biggest challenge will probably be keeping the birds and other critters off the crop.  I'd like to snack on the berries off the shrubs over time, but that just gives them more time to assail the harvest.  Same goes for peaches!!!

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »

thanks,
Kris, I use a mixture of all three on my blue berries (potted and in ground):
(1) Amend soil with sulfur and peat moss;
(2) mulch with pine-needles.
(3) Use Azalea fertilizer or cottonseed when I have it
(4) Measure from time to time with a good pH meter.

BTW, I've read that coffee-grinds only lower the soil pH (or is it acidity) temporarily, but maybe that's just because worms break it down into neutral castings.  It could also be the carbon sequestering ions, etc.

Your biggest challenge will probably be keeping the birds and other critters off the crop.  I'd like to snack on the berries off the shrubs over time, but that just gives them more time to assail the harvest.  Same goes for peaches!!!
My berry bushes are usually safe because I have a husky who never likes to go inside... My cherries are a different matter. Before I chopped my 27+ year old bing tree down last year the birds cleared it out in ONE day as soon as they turned red :(
-Kris

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 07:25:12 PM »
I would suggest testing pH with a color match test strip or reagent instead of an electronic pH meter, unless you have a recently calibrated lab grade pH meter.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »
From what I've read used coffee grounds and brown pine needles won't actually acidify the soil. I put chicken manure and sulfur on mine.