Author Topic: Chronic underperformers  (Read 576 times)

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
Chronic underperformers
« on: July 30, 2023, 03:49:18 PM »
I am fairly successful with most fruit trees in my yard (around 55) but there are some chronic underperformers.
Mangos: Keitt, Lemon Zest (severe MBBS problems). Didn't meet expectation and were removed.
Dragon fruit: Purple Haze, 1 fruit in 10 years. Didn't meet expectations and had to go.
Lychee: Sweet Heart: problem with weevil and LEM, light producer. Brewster and Mauritius are much more resilient and produce 10x as much.
Mamey: Viejo; 5 years and so far not a single fruit. Does it need a 2nd Mamey near by?
Acovados: Oro Negro, keeps on dying back. Tried a 2nd tree in same spot, same problem. Now planted a Sapodilla that performs fine. So I don't think it is the spot.
Lula, tree grows OK (3.5" diameter, 8' tall, healthy looking leaves), but not a single flower in 5 years. Bacon, Monroe and Brogdon all perform fine.
In paricular the Mamey, Sweet Heart and the Lula Avocado are poor performers. Is it time to move on and plant something else?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Chronic underperformers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 05:01:40 PM »
I would move on from Mamey for sure. Mine never produced in close to 10 years. I think it is just too cold here. I was told once that even in warmer areas of the state like Sarasota the trees survive, bloom and even set fruit, but they almost never bring the  fruit to maturity because the development period is 12 months or more. As a result, part of the developmet period falls across our cold season and the tree will drop its fruits.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 05:23:22 PM »
My buddy has about 10 lemon zest mango trees and will  be top working them all. It's a good mango but not worth the space it takes and the yield it gives, I just don't know what all the hype is about with that one. I had plenty of better mangos this season though.
Glad I don't have the purple haze dragonfruit but sorry to say I have the sweetheart lychee. The mamey isn't practical so I have lots of sapodilla, fruit tastes better anyway. Thanks for the list.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 05:47:54 PM »
I agree with you on the Lemon Zest Mango Tree. Even with regular spraying the tree gets powdery mildew and deformed leaves. In the process of top working most of this tree but will leave a few branches of LZ to see what happens in future years. Wish I would have originally grafted a Maha Chanok to this rootstock.

My Coconut cream grows very well with no disease issues but after seven years and no fruit is also being topworked.

All avocado trees grow great at my location here in SoCal.

Johnny

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 11:11:18 PM »
I would move on from Mamey for sure. Mine never produced in close to 10 years. I think it is just too cold here. I was told once that even in warmer areas of the state like Sarasota the trees survive, bloom and even set fruit, but they almost never bring the  fruit to maturity because the development period is 12 months or more. As a result, part of the developmet period falls across our cold season and the tree will drop its fruits.

Wow - how different - Mamey is very plentiful in Miami and fruits year-round.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 05:57:41 AM »
It always helps to have another mamey around.

Though I have the exact same problem but mine is next to 3 other mameys.

I have a few fruits on one but viejo keeps flowering and dropping fruit.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 08:55:35 AM »
My buddy has about 10 lemon zest mango trees and will  be top working them all. It's a good mango but not worth the space it takes and the yield it gives, I just don't know what all the hype is about with that one. I had plenty of better mangos this season though.
Glad I don't have the purple haze dragonfruit but sorry to say I have the sweetheart lychee. The mamey isn't practical so I have lots of sapodilla, fruit tastes better anyway. Thanks for the list.
This season I heard an echo of what you said about lemons zest from another grower. Basically he said it's a big tree it doesn't produce much fruit he would not plant another one. No Bloom on coconut cream for me this season so contemplating hedging my bet by future grafting Marco and Bolt. Have not acquired bolt as of yet but when the weather cools off I'll make a trip to Punta Gorda. So yes when lemon zest is lemony sweet I very much like it but I don't know if Refrigeration may cause it to taste orangish but a good ppk or orange sherbet will suffice. Very useful info thank you🙂
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry