Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 621343 times)

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1350 on: April 07, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »
Hi Everyone, I have been a member of this great forum for years now but just lurk around gathering information about the trees i grow. I just got myself a lil piece of property in Polk County Central FL last year and have planted over 100 trees ,shrubs and fruiting vines, mostly mangoes. I have just had a terror fighting powdery mildew and it seems i kinda lost this season.Somehow i know its because i have never asked for advice personally when i have needed it from you forum guys  like i know i should . I believe i may become a fairly active member this year. I sincerely hope to .

Great to have Polk county neighbors on the forum. Mangos are amazing, perfect for Florida and a favorite of myself and all my Hispanic relatives!
-Casey

DAMIEN1X

• USA,FLORIDA,WinterHaven,ZONE 9,sunset zone 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 09, 2017, 03:19:56 AM »
Hi Everyone, I have been a member of this great forum for years now but just lurk around gathering information about the trees i grow. I just got myself a lil piece of property in Polk County Central FL last year and have planted over 100 trees ,shrubs and fruiting vines, mostly mangoes. I have just had a terror fighting powdery mildew and it seems i kinda lost this season.Somehow i know its because i have never asked for advice personally when i have needed it from you forum guys  like i know i should . I believe i may become a fairly active member this year. I sincerely hope to .

Great to have Polk county neighbors on the forum. Mangos are amazing, perfect for Florida and a favorite of myself and all my Hispanic relatives!
AMEN TO THAT!!!  I have several dragonfruit too but i have yet to get them in the ground and posted on wood. I am on the edge of winterhaven by lakeland and auberndale, hot high and dry here. the soil sucks lol

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 09, 2017, 06:27:32 AM »

AMEN TO THAT!!!  I have several dragonfruit too but i have yet to get them in the ground and posted on wood. I am on the edge of winterhaven by lakeland and auberndale, hot high and dry here. the soil sucks lol

Nice! Yeah central FL soil isn't that great however it is apparently almost ideal for dragonfruit as it is usually sandy and they like a well draining soil like that. Just have to add in compost/organic matter and maybe some perlite. Dry too is usually not an issue as long as you supplement with occasional watering, it's the crazy daily rains in summer we get that can be killer to blooms/fruit production . Have to once again make sure to let them drain really well. I'm thinking of putting a 4x4 PT post through a partially buried pot so I can control both soil and drainage, but I'm still wary of the rainy season.

How big is your property that you planted like 100 trees/plants?!
-Casey

Rookie

• Sugar Land,Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 10, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
I stumbled accidentally onto this site and found that it is worthwhile to dicuss and talk shop about fruit trees ... since I an a beginner at gardening in my spare time now that I am retired.  LOL  Looking forwards to chatting and meeting with local and knowledgeable people.

osobreeze

• Corpus Christi, Tx Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 13, 2017, 12:18:13 AM »
Hello my name is Amy, I've been interested in growing tropical plants for a couple of years now, don't know why I waited until now to join the forum. I hope to get know y'all and get some good advice along the way! Btw if there's anyone here from Corpus Christi, Tx I'd love to pick your brain about growing experiences specific to the city. Despite being zone 9b I haven't found anyone here trying to grow anything crazier than an orange  ;) Anyways, I'm happy to meet all of you fellow fruit nerds out there! :D

DAMIEN1X

• USA,FLORIDA,WinterHaven,ZONE 9,sunset zone 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 21, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »

Nice! Yeah central FL soil isn't that great however it is apparently almost ideal for dragonfruit as it is usually sandy and they like a well draining soil like that. Just have to add in compost/organic matter and maybe some perlite. Dry too is usually not an issue as long as you supplement with occasional watering, it's the crazy daily rains in summer we get that can be killer to blooms/fruit production . Have to once again make sure to let them drain really well. I'm thinking of putting a 4x4 PT post through a partially buried pot so I can control both soil and drainage, but I'm still wary of the rainy season.

Im on just over an acre, its like a desert here , high and dry and hard sugar sand. zero organic matter overan by bermuda grass and fireants

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 21, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »

Im on just over an acre, its like a desert here , high and dry and hard sugar sand. zero organic matter overan by bermuda grass and fireants

I hate the fireants. Just ordered some diatomaceous earth to keep them out of the garden. Luckily they haven't been trouble for the fruit trees yet. Hopefully won't be for the dragons either. Check out BS Farms just off the parkway for compost by the yard, should help your soil out a lot.
-Casey

Tropical Farmer

• Tropical Farmer
    • 11B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:24 PM »
Hi,

I am Joanna Welcome-Martinez and I live in the Cayman Islands.

I grow quite a bit of tropical plants and I am looking to expand my collection and to grow my knowledge.

Joanna
Jo

RobWhatley

• Winter Haven, Florida (Central Florida between Tampa and Orlando)
    • View Profile
Hello from Central Florida...... HAAS Avacado
« Reply #1358 on: April 22, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »
Hi Gang!  Name is Rob.  Live in Auburndale, FL.  About half way between Tampa and Orlando just south of interstate 4.  I have a Haas Avocado plant that is about 4.5' tall, started from seed of Avocado, started in a cup of water, with toothpicks for support.  I'm sure we've all seen that done with regular avocado's.
I transplanted the "plant" about 6 months ago now, and have a tree started that is about 4.5' tall.  NEW growth all over.  I'm totally new to this, but wonder what fertilizer I should be using in Florida's SANDY soil.  I have what is called "sugar sand".   OPEN for any suggestion.
Are you all interested in seeing pictures of the plant?  It appears healthy. 
So far, so good.
Have a GREAT day!
God Bless!
Rob

Exotic.Brazilian.Fruits

• I want to learn about new species and to eventuall
    • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 27, 2017, 07:00:39 PM »
Hello, my name is Lucia.

I am a lover of fruit trees and I have a small collection, I intend to exchange experiences and new seeds and plants with you, the site was indicated to me by a collector of Minas Gerais who gave me the link and I was optimum the level of the posts.

Thank you Lucia

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 01, 2017, 02:56:51 AM »
Hi,

My name is Cory and I have always loved gardening and fruits. I earned a degree in Fruit Horticulture from Michigan State University, then learned about tropical fruit during an internship at ECHO in Florida. That led to a mission in the Santarem area of Brazil, for 21 months and I planted fruit trees at a remote jungle camp they had as a training school and working farm, with the goal of making it more self supporting. (I was dissapointed with how few jungle fruits there were in the Manaus and Belem markets after being to the Santarem market many times!)

I married a medical Dr. who had lived in Haiti for two years as a child and we started work in Haiti with the Wesleyan Mission in Anse-a-Galets, island of LaGonave. After 9 years we were invited to thier north Haiti campus. So after the years of killing many tropical fruits on the dry, salty island, (enjoyed the productive canistel, papaya, sapodilla, and moringa), it was exciting to move to an area with good soil and plenty of well distributed rainfall. Time to find and grow the Amazon fruits that Brazilians loved and most Haitians never heard of. I have about 6 or 8 acres of tree-gardens & yards on the mission campus and nearby planted to introduced fruit trees. Close to 3 acres are peach palm, some spineless. (Will post soon on the Edible Palms thread.) The campus is about 12 acres total and has a school, church and hospital plus 3 acres nearby that I purchased and planted 2 years ago.

After 10 years here, this summer we plan to start work at a new Wesleyan property, 30 acres of tree-less garden, brush, and pasture, at 4,400 feet elevation. Time to put the old Michigan studies and experience with apples, peaches and strawberries, etc. to work. The area grows good corn, beans and cattle but many of the children have protein malnutrition (probably landless families or because they sell the beans and cattle and just eat corn? Big need for nutrition education and/or higher value crops). I plan to keep my current 3 employees in charge of the nursery here so it should continue to produce fruit trees for this area. We will also see which species do well at higher altitude. I like planting and sharing fruit as much as eating fruit or trying new fruit so I am looking forward to the move even though many of the trees here are just coming into production.

We have productive carambola, canistel, malay apple, thornless jujube, thornless and regular peach palm, cupuasu, jackfruit, black sapote, sapodilla, biriba, breadfruit (local and Ma’afala) avocado, barbados cherry and miracle fruit. Not so productive or just starting include acai, loquat, dragon fruit, fig, okari nut, atemoya and macadamia. Many more types should fruit soon.

Mango - The climate here is wet enough that only the blanc mangos set fruit every year. There are several strains of fil blanc/manga blanca, all stringy, and they set fruit 2-5 times per year, at lest two or 3 branch-bending heavy crops each year. Some are in the markets almost all year. I have some crosses with local and Florida varieties that I look forward to fruiting, will save details for a mango discussion.

The new fruits are spreading in this area and to other parts of Haiti. I hope more tree and perennial gardening will be done in the highly erodible mountains. Erosion from annual and root crops takes a heavy toll on the environment, especiallly on the hills around this valley with over 100 inches of average rainfall per year.

WOW! Congratulations Cory and goodluck for your nice project!
Lorenzo

ChristineMessner

• ChristineMessner
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 02, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »

I am the GM of a diesel repair shop in WPB, Florida.  My hobbies include, walking around my yard aimlessly looking a each leaf of every living plant in my yard, pest and disease control of my plants, fertilizing my plants, explaining to my neighbors why I talk to my plants, explaining to my family why I talk to my plants, and seeking out new places in my yard that require additional plants in the ground...

I also enjoy working on the computer (thus the forum and other web ventures), and Charter Boat fishing from time to time.

I truly love tropical fruit growing, and honestly enjoy the growing more than the eating.  Sometimes the challenge of growing new things and being sucessful is the best part!

Those who know me say I am kind and very well organized, a good father and provider, and a little obsessive/compulsive.

I respect all Religious beliefs..

I am not political at all..

HELLO! FROM CANADA!!! :D

alfian

• Indonesia, Jawa Barat, 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 05, 2017, 07:15:46 AM »
Hi,

I am Alfian from Indonesia.

I grow quite a bit of tropical plants  such as :
   - syzygium semarange : black king kong, red taiwan, red thailand, dalhari, madu deli hitam, black diamond, giant rose, pink rose, 
                                       king rose, petruk and etc.
   - syzigium aromaticum
   - syzigium polyanthum
   - syzigium malacensis
   - coconut : green, yellow, red, brown and kopyor
   - phoenix dactilyfera
   - some cultivar banana
   - piper nigrum
   - black sapote
   - white sapote
   - chiko sapote
   - canistel
   - abiu
   - jackfruit
   - many kind mango varieteis
   - many kind longan varieteis
   - many kind rambutan varieteis
   - many kind avocado varieteis
   - many kind sapodila varieteis
   - lychee
   - myristica fragrans
   - many kind star fruit varieteis
   - many kind salak varieteis
   - many kind guava varieteis
   - amazone nut
   - sacha inchi
   - rose sapote
   - many kind jaboticaba varieteis
   - many kind vanilla varieteis
   - averhoa bilimbi
   - cempedak
   - many kind peach varieteis
   - many kind apple varieteis
   - many kind plum varieteis
   - persimmon
   - matoa/fijian longan
   - many kind mangosteen varieteis
   - beach cherry
   - suriname cherry
   - jujube
   - many kind grapes varieteis
   - passion fruit
   - etc

and I am looking to expand my collection and to grow my knowledge. It's great to joined this forum.

norahhosin

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 05, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »

I am the GM of a diesel repair shop in WPB, Florida.  My hobbies include, walking around my yard aimlessly looking a each leaf of every living plant in my yard, pest and disease control of my plants, fertilizing my plants, explaining to my neighbors why I talk to my plants, explaining to my family why I talk to my plants, and seeking out new places in my yard that require additional plants in the ground...

I also enjoy working on the computer (thus the forum and other web ventures), and Charter Boat fishing from time to time.

I truly love tropical fruit growing, and honestly enjoy the growing more than the eating.  Sometimes the challenge of growing new things and being sucessful is the best part!

Those who know me say I am kind and very well organized, a good father and provider, and a little obsessive/compulsive.

I respect all Religious beliefs..

I am not political at all..

wow, all i can say is you are truly! Amazing...

norahhosin

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 05, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
Hi all,

I am glad this forum exists - so much easier to use and without annoying ads. Not sure whom to thank, but thanks! I have a rather small collection of fruit and nut plants. I cannot say that I know a lot about growing and it has mostly been a journey of trial an errors. I do like to grow and eat tropical fruits that most people like too, but I am particularly interested in growing some of the more rare species. It's like going on a treasure hunt that may last for years until you find certain seeds.

Bye for now.

Tomas

cool, bye. :D

sebo420

• Trinidad and Tobago/ Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: May 13, 2017, 06:34:44 AM »
Hello Everyone my name is Sebastian. Im from Trini. Love to plant fruits and love to eat them even more. Always on the hunt for new and rare species!

I got a small piece of land close to the beach. I am in the process of planting lots of different fruits that I have started from seed! Mangosten, Rambutan, Hybrid Jabotica monkey plum, and many others.

looking forward to talking with yall and sharing experiences!

ekstra`

• USA, Florida, Port St. Lucie, Subtropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: May 16, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »
I'm a Florida native who spent a lot of time on Merritt Island in my youth. My grandmother rented a house there called "Tropic Grove", which had a small orange grove behind it.
We harvested a couple of wild mangos two or three years ago (unfortunately, the tree is no longer fruiting as it is in the embrace of a strangler fig, and because it's on local park property, the strangler won't be removed). We planted the seeds, and one of them grew to almost 30"...but then fell victim to fire ants.
I saw with interest the photos from 2012 of Ensey's groves on Merritt Island. When we were kids they were considered the richest family on the island.
I hope to come to the site often.

norahhosin

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 17, 2017, 05:34:58 AM »
Hi all. Im kinda introverted person so basically i dont know what to say. Im new here, but i find my way to catch up with the forums and looking forward for some posting in the future!

stuartjames

• usa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: May 18, 2017, 05:17:16 AM »
Hello every one, i am Stuart. How are you all?

Beeders

• Missouri
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 18, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm in Missouri but hoping to relocate somewhere tropical soon. I'm growing an Inga (not sure the species. Bought it from Rivers End Nursery) and black sapote in a greenhouse right now. I have cherimoya seeds I want to plant soon. I love rare tropical fruit! Cherimoya is by far my favorite and my usual supplier is not offering any for 2017. :( 
 So far I have tried rambutan, cherimoya, black sapote, white sapote, dragon fruit. Will be trying ice cream bean fruit very soon, which will probably be right up there with cherimoya. :)
 Mangosteen is next.
I am happy to be here and hope to learn a lot from everyone.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 21, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »
Hi there everybody, i live in Southern California. I am an avid plant grower. Have grown many different flowering and fruiting plants for years. Have recently taken on a whole group of new plants. I have everything in my yard from mangos,  and guavas to mamey, and almond. I love plants that are considered exotics in my neck of the woods, and i very much enjoy having the only jungle yard on the block. I am looking forward to conversing with like minded individuals out there who love their greenery

Matis

• Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 29, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
Hello,

My name is Matis, I am from the Netherlands but I would like to move to Belize.
I already know some people in Belize, and I want to buy some tropical fruit seeds for them that are not available yet in Belize (mainly South-East Asian fruits).

Greetings

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: May 30, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

Been reading this forum for about 6 months now.  What an amazing resource this place is. 

I am from FL but now live in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands.  I have a one acre property where I am building my house.  Have planted several fruit plants and trees and all are doing great.  Looking to purchase the neighboring one acre property as well so I can expand my orchard.

Regards,
Matt

boopnloop

• USA/Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: May 31, 2017, 12:12:55 AM »
Hey everyone! My name is Ashley. I'm a member of gw, but I didn't come from there. I remember googling something and this site popped up, so I joined! I am located in central TX, so it's starting to get hot!! We've already had at least 10, 90f+ days. But, with that, I usually grow stuff indoors. The heat and wind is unpredictable, and it's hard to monitor my seedlings. Currently I am growing;

(not tropical. Listing everything)
Cape gooseberry
Tomato

(Tropical)
Lychee (sprouted 1 seed, have another coming)
Pomegranate (wonderful)
Dragonfruit (Yellow, American Beauty, and Tricia)
Passionfruit (purple)
and Jackfruit!

I look forward to meeting everyone!

cpnurse

• ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 01, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Courtney and I am completely new to all of this. I just got a Meyer lemon tree for mothers day and am wanting to make sure it thrives. its a 1-2 year old tree ordered from lemoncitrustrees.com. I repotted it after two weeks because the pot it came in was so tall and thin there was no way to keep it from constantly falling over. Its in miracle grow all purpose garden soil. I had heard good things about it. I drilled extra holes in the bottom of the plastic pot its in. its on a stand and now out on the front patio getting morning sun/late afternoon shade. seems to be green and doing well. I am needing info on fertilizer recommendations and frequency, what pH the soil should be at and how to change the PH. I have heard about adding epsom salt? or coffee grounds to the soil occasionally so I would like more info on that and why etc. Any tips/tricks to keep this Meyer lemon growing and thriving would be appreciated. thanks!