Author Topic: I hate waiting  (Read 8282 times)

KineticUrchin

• Treasure Coast (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: I hate waiting
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 01:10:55 PM »
This is why I want a Jamaican cherry tree. Instant gratification, nearly year round.

The waiting game is indeed agonizing.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 02:07:49 PM »
Since somebody has reintroduced this thread, I thought I would point out that waiting can eventually lead to something. After more than two years of waiting in-ground, my Maha Chanok has finally pushed its first ever flowers just this week! I don't know that it will hold even one fruit on its own this year, but I'm relieved it finally did something. It remains one of the slowest growing plants I have in my whole yard, almost never flushing leaves or anything. I was starting to wonder if it was plastic, because it always looks the same. So that was a labor of love that has gotten somewhere.

Also, after more than a year my dwarf Namwah finally gave its second ever round of fruit. The plant was nearly decimated in a flood we had recently (salt water - thanks sea level rise!), which happened literally the day after the flower finally showed!, so I thought it was a goner. But it seems that while the plant the hands are on lost all its leaves and cannot seem to make any more, the babies it has on the mat are making food for it and trying to keep the fruit going with the few leaves they themselves have left.

Additionally, my row of Moringas all suddenly made a ton of pods, which is great because they have been flowering for maybe a year and a half and only made one pod in a previous flush. I could not understand what was wrong. Moreover, those seeds have not yet sprouted, so I was worried. But now there are a horde of baby pods, and I am guessing this had only to do with a need to reach more maturity before it could really hold pods. Hopefully they stay growing on the trees, because I have yet to eat either a pod or a seed, only the leaves and flowers so far. I look forward to trying some new permutations of Moringa!

Have patience, people. And plant plenty of vegetables, like katuk, tropical tomatoes (fruiting profusely right now), and other short-term plants to tide you over.

norahhosin

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 06:05:23 AM »
Are Cuban Mangosteen really hard to grow??  :-\

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 07:13:10 AM »
Since somebody has reintroduced this thread, I thought I would point out that waiting can eventually lead to something. After more than two years of waiting in-ground, my Maha Chanok has finally pushed its first ever flowers just this week! I don't know that it will hold even one fruit on its own this year, but I'm relieved it finally did something. It remains one of the slowest growing plants I have in my whole yard, almost never flushing leaves or anything. I was starting to wonder if it was plastic, because it always looks the same. So that was a labor of love that has gotten somewhere.

Also, after more than a year my dwarf Namwah finally gave its second ever round of fruit. The plant was nearly decimated in a flood we had recently (salt water - thanks sea level rise!), which happened literally the day after the flower finally showed!, so I thought it was a goner. But it seems that while the plant the hands are on lost all its leaves and cannot seem to make any more, the babies it has on the mat are making food for it and trying to keep the fruit going with the few leaves they themselves have left.

Additionally, my row of Moringas all suddenly made a ton of pods, which is great because they have been flowering for maybe a year and a half and only made one pod in a previous flush. I could not understand what was wrong. Moreover, those seeds have not yet sprouted, so I was worried. But now there are a horde of baby pods, and I am guessing this had only to do with a need to reach more maturity before it could really hold pods. Hopefully they stay growing on the trees, because I have yet to eat either a pod or a seed, only the leaves and flowers so far. I look forward to trying some new permutations of Moringa!

Have patience, people. And plant plenty of vegetables, like katuk, tropical tomatoes (fruiting profusely right now), and other short-term plants to tide you over.

Yes patience is the key and also integrating the deadly-slow-growing most desired fruits with other species which are faster and give quick or immediate satisfaction.
That's why I added to my avocado, camito, Indian coffee plum, biriba, mango, eugenia uniflora seedlings a bunch of passionfruit, papaya, sugar apple, pineapple, muntingia  and guavas  to make my waiting sweeter  ;)
Lorenzo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk