Author Topic: Poncirus seed  (Read 1672 times)

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Poncirus seed
« on: April 26, 2019, 05:33:23 PM »
Upon my return to Louisiana, I immediately went to my favorite grove of poncirus. The grove had tripled in size. I noticed that some had fruit on them while most were blossoming. I saw some veriations too. I marked the ones with fruit as I intended to get me some of them seed. Also marked a tree with tiny thorns. Upon my return in November the deer had made shambles of the grove. I guess they ate the flagging tape I used to mark trees. Fruit was all on the ground and mostly crushed. I did not know deer would do that. I got no seed because I did not know what tree it came from
 I ordered seed this year. This Nov. I intend to be on the spot.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: Poncirus seed
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 06:25:00 PM »
You wait till Nov. & there won't be any left again. Poncirus is ripe sept / oct.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:07:40 PM »
You are right. I will watch closely and gather. I want some of the seeds from the parent that is almost thornless. Poncirus grows everywhere here and in groves. Like to look for mutations.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:01:53 PM »
Laaz, has your early flowering Poncirus ever fruited so that so that you can get seed?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 10:15:12 PM »
I get seed from it every year.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 03:00:33 AM »
I want some of the seeds from the parent that is almost thornless. Poncirus grows everywhere here and in groves. Like to look for mutations.

Why not take budwood for grafting? You could get seeds at home?
Would be interesting to see if there is a re thornless Poncirus in the wild. In the old forum was a guy who found one plant in the wild, but can`t find the post anymore.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 04:06:32 AM »
Poncirus branches vary in degree of thorniness, by position on the tree. Vigorous growth can have thorns at least 4" in length. Mature fruiting branches in higher position within the tree have greatly reduced thorns, approaching near absence.
Seeds from a nearly thornless fruiting branch that has very thorny juvenile branches elsewhere on the tree can't be expected to genetically transmit thornlessness to it's progeny.