Author Topic: Clean Shinanui Mandarin Budwood sources  (Read 3511 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Clean Shinanui Mandarin Budwood sources
« on: April 03, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »
Has anyone found a source for clean / certified disease free Shiranui (Dekopon, Sumo) Mandarin budwood?

I have checked CCPP off and on and they keep saying Temporarily Unavailable. And from what I gather, many people are interested in the CCPP budwood for Shiranui and can't get it.

Are there any other sources? What about the USDA, does their citrus repository have Shiranui?
- Mark

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Clean Shinanui Mandarin Budwood sources
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 02:44:38 PM »
Have you tried Dekopon before?

(I find them to be very sweet and overly rich, almost slight mango flavor, but makes a great snack food for a paper bag lunch, kind of like an orange that is easier to peel. Personally I still prefer Shasta Gold though)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:48:55 PM by SoCal2warm »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 05:35:23 PM »
Mark in Texas can tell you about the citrus bureau there. They get it from CCPP and both CCPP and they tack on a nice surcharge. $150 budwood.

Someone contacted CCPP recently and told me they will have it again in June.

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 05:55:11 PM »

(I find them to be very sweet and overly rich, almost slight mango flavor, but makes a great snack food for a paper bag lunch, kind of like an orange that is easier to peel. Personally I still prefer Shasta Gold though)

I have. I really love them. I normally like a lot of acid to balance the sweetness in my citrus. But like you mention, the flavor is so intense and rich. I can only eat one at a time, but I do enjoy them a lot.

I have a lot of other Mandarins growing that I have grafted onto my trees and I just want to add Shiranui to the collection.
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 05:55:32 PM »
Mark in Texas can tell you about the citrus bureau there. They get it from CCPP and both CCPP and they tack on a nice surcharge. $150 budwood.

Cool, thanks Fang!
- Mark

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »

The Texas budwood bureau got me some from Florida, CCPP didn't have it available. Cost me
$250 for 20 buds including service fee/shipping/buds

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 12:20:54 AM »
Oops. It's mrtexas I was talking about. I get people confused.

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »

SoCal2warm,

Where did you find the budwood for your Shasta Gold?

I have been reading about it and based on descriptions you have posted on TFF and others comments on other forums it sounds like one that I want to try.

UCR has it in their collection: https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/tde2.html

However, the don't offer it on the CCPP budwood order page. If I search the page for 'Shasta' or 'tde2' or '490' (the UCR VI for Shasta Gold is 490) it is not listed as something I can order budwood from.

I have seen a few nurseries online that sell the trees, but they don't ship to AZ.
- Mark

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »

I have been reading about it and based on descriptions you have posted on TFF and others comments on other forums it sounds like one that I want to try.

However, the don't offer it on the CCPP budwood order page. If I search the page for 'Shasta' or 'tde2' or '490' (the UCR VI for Shasta Gold is 490) it is not listed as something I can order budwood from.

I have seen a few nurseries online that sell the trees, but they don't ship to AZ.

CCPP just updated their website.  I think this is the old form: https://ccpp.ucr.edu/budwood/forms/2013-Forms/ScreenhouseFaxOrderForm.pdf

If you look at the (*) it appears you need a license agreement for the TDE budwood. I don't know how that works but perhaps shoot them an email.
- Val

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 04:12:12 PM »

CCPP just updated their website.  I think this is the old form: https://ccpp.ucr.edu/budwood/forms/2013-Forms/ScreenhouseFaxOrderForm.pdf

If you look at the (*) it appears you need a license agreement for the TDE budwood. I don't know how that works but perhaps shoot them an email.

Vail,

Thanks. Yeah I noticed they update the CCPP ordering site between last month and this month.
Ahhhh, that makes sense. I did not know that Shasta Gold was a patented and/or licensed variety. So I bet that I (home grower) can't get access to it through their repository.
- Mark

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 07:39:05 PM »
I tried and was said no to Shasta, Yosemite, and Tahoe gold varieties. only bet is to buy trees

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 08:42:17 PM »
I tried and was said no to Shasta, Yosemite, and Tahoe gold varieties. only bet is to buy trees

Cool, thanks behl. Yep, I agree.

Problem is that none of the AZ nurseries (that I could find at least. Sunset is the one that supplies most of the citrus around here) propagates them and any place online that has them won't ship to AZ.
- Mark