Author Topic: Location for Rollinia/Biriba tree  (Read 2232 times)

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Location for Rollinia/Biriba tree
« on: June 16, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »
Im looking to put another Rollinia in Ground. The area im interested in planting the tree acts as drain way for water during the summer rains. The area does not hold water but the ground does get quite saturated. I had a guava tree die from root rot in the same spot and Im wondering if the same will happen if I plant a Rollinia there?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Location for Rollinia/Biriba tree
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 02:21:58 PM »
Im looking to put another Rollinia in Ground. The area im interested in planting the tree acts as drain way for water during the summer rains. The area does not hold water but the ground does get quite saturated. I had a guava tree die from root rot in the same spot and Im wondering if the same will happen if I plant a Rollinia there?

strange because gauva can handle a very wet location, i'd be surprised if it was flooding that killed the Psidium.

If the spot gets eventual drainage, and doesn't stay with a puddle for days on end, I'd say it may work, but there might be a better location....I always plant them out of the wind!  but they do like at least 50% sun for decent fruit production.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »

Despite the information that Rollinia deliciosa often found growing in periodically flooded areas throughout its natural habitat, I'v lost one tree due to a few day's of flood. Now I have it growing at a higher ground.

Completely agree with FlyingFF, I would be more concerned with the wind and look for a protected spot with some sun.
Zone Pusher

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 04:51:27 PM »
guavas are really hardy to run off, I even have several grafted guavas not just surviving but growing well in a water run off field, so wet there even bananas nearby rotted out.

I planted my biribas in 'premium' real estate (drainage, perhaps temp. flooding or saturated soil <1 week per year), with lots of sun, The annonas respond well to full sun in my area

might be unsightly but a great way of planting in locations like this is a raised mound supported by bricks or a no bottom planter.  I used these concrete cylinders in several concave areas which collect rainwater.  Just remember not above water, but also above saturated soil, so that can be up to 2 feet above, hard to do without reinforcement or by creating a huge berm or mound.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 06:12:36 PM »
rollinias need consistent water, mine grew 14 feet and fruited after a year in the ground most likely because I planted it 2 feet from a canal where the soil is constantly wet and smells anaerobic. In the winter when the water line receded it defoliated but when I started watering it every day the leaves grew back fast and it didn't defoliate in 40 degree weather.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 04:00:45 AM »
rollinias need consistent water, mine grew 14 feet and fruited after a year in the ground most likely because I planted it 2 feet from a canal where the soil is constantly wet and smells anaerobic. In the winter when the water line receded it defoliated but when I started watering it every day the leaves grew back fast and it didn't defoliate in 40 degree weather.

Normal for rollinias to defoliate, they are deciduous. Here they often start flowering right after dropping all their leaves.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 04:03:35 AM »

Despite the information that Rollinia deliciosa often found growing in periodically flooded areas throughout its natural habitat, I'v lost one tree due to a few day's of flood. Now I have it growing at a higher ground.

Completely agree with FlyingFF, I would be more concerned with the wind and look for a protected spot with some sun.
I've come to the conclusion that there are different types of rollinias. Certainly in Brazil there are types that take periodic river flooding. But also seems there are ones originating from elsewhere that can't take extended flooding.
Oscar

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 11:05:49 PM »
I have several anonas, my rollinia is the only one that didn’t bloom this year. 2nd year in ground, 9’ tall looks very happy and healthy. Plenty of water for sure.

Any thoughts?
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »
My retriever has been my foe for Rollinia

I planted the first one and was putting tools away and I look back and his is using it for a chew toy

The second was a tennis ball accident

Ball bounced to the Rollinia and it was wiped out in the process

I will try a third some day

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
While growing up in the Amazon region, in a hilly area in and near Manaus, I saw plenty Rollinia deliciosa growing on hillsides, often on the lower slopes.  I don't recall seeing any anywhere swampy.

In the few months' worth traveling the rivers, I don't recall seeing any in flood plains either.  Of course, I can't rule out there being some, especially as I wasn't specifically inquiring about that---  most of that travel was when I was 9-13 years of age, already working some with fruit trees, but not yet reading horticultural text books.

Har

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »
My rollinia finally has a very good fruit set this year. Large fruit too!! Ate a small one yesterday that was ready, and was delicious. Second one should be ready tonight or tomorrow......about a dozen more to eat lol Plus she is loaded with flowers again. Wonder if it will produce a second crop that carries into early winter. Biggest things Har taught me was water, get rid of leaf hoppers, clear base to let top roots breathe, and fert regimine. I am sure his advice on his visit is part of the reason it has been a good year for it.

Gonzo65

• Hollywood, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 12:50:16 AM »
My rollinia finally has a very good fruit set this year. Large fruit too!! Ate a small one yesterday that was ready, and was delicious. Second one should be ready tonight or tomorrow......about a dozen more to eat lol Plus she is loaded with flowers again. Wonder if it will produce a second crop that carries into early winter. Biggest things Har taught me was water, get rid of leaf hoppers, clear base to let top roots breathe, and fert regimine. I am sure his advice on his visit is part of the reason it has been a good year for it.

Fisherking,

I live in Hollywood as well, I’m starting to germinate some rollinia seeds and other annonas as well. I plan on grafting onto them. Nice to hear your tree is doing well in our area! What do you mean by a clear base? And what fertilization regimen do you use on these plants? Thanks!

Gonzo

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 04:31:47 AM »
While growing up in the Amazon region, in a hilly area in and near Manaus, I saw plenty Rollinia deliciosa growing on hillsides, often on the lower slopes.  I don't recall seeing any anywhere swampy.

In the few months' worth traveling the rivers, I don't recall seeing any in flood plains either.  Of course, I can't rule out there being some, especially as I wasn't specifically inquiring about that---  most of that travel was when I was 9-13 years of age, already working some with fruit trees, but not yet reading horticultural text books.
[/quote is
Take a look at the book Amazon River Fruits, by Nigel Smith. He lists Rollinia deliciosa as one of the fruits that is native to areas that get periodically flooded. Yet some people report that their rollinias die after flooding. Leads me to believe there are different races of rollinia involved with different adaptations.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk