Author Topic: Micropropagation  (Read 1806 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Micropropagation
« on: May 20, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »
Anyone with experience micropropagating citrus?
I am thinking to start some tests soon. My question is a cloned plant, does it have a juvenile stage?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: Micropropagation
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 01:43:52 PM »
No direct experience, but I would assume if the tissue was taken from a mature part of the plant it would carry over as do buds.

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »
This is a very interesting question, I have thought about this myself. During micropropagation, the cells undergo dedifferentation. It could be that therefore the plant could have a juvenile stage again.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »
I know this doesn't qualify as micropropagation but I have had success rooting what was basically just a leaf (half a leaf actually, I cut it to reduce surface area) with just a very tiny amount of stem attached. It requires humidity and the right level of warmth, and I used some rooting hormone too.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »
I know this doesn't qualify as micropropagation but I have had success rooting what was basically just a leaf (half a leaf actually, I cut it to reduce surface area) with just a very tiny amount of stem attached. It requires humidity and the right level of warmth, and I used some rooting hormone too.

SoCal2warm: This is way more advanced than rooting a mature plant organ using IBA growth regulator, so it doesn't qualify.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »
I think that elongated shoots from cultured meristem will give mature plantlets, while with regenerated callus or cultured protoplasts they will be juvenile.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:06:47 AM by Ilya11 »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 03:19:32 PM »
SoCal2Warm, rooting a citrus leaf will develop roots on the leaf stem, but will never go any farther.  You will always, and for ever, only end up with a single leaf with some roots,.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 06:22:12 PM »
Research is limited or patented. What I read from some Indian research it seems like it does have a juvenile period about a half to a third of a normal seedling.
I guess stem shoot and buds might be a similar to a cutting.
Meristem and nurse techniques are in question. Even though the CCPP is using meristem to micrograft, I don't know how long doe it take.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 07:23:28 PM »
Anyone willing to try to clone some trees also? I know the protocol and techniques. I will post more pictures here once I start. I am thinking to multiply Shiikuwasha as candidate for rootstock and Yuzu because it can do well on its own roots.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »
Micropropagation its a good idea if you want to get rich.I dont know about citrus but i know about walnuts and lately somme enthusiasts found ways to successfully clone walnuts wich are the most expensive trees in agriculture.The walnuts micropropagation its hard because the tissue oxidates immediatly after its cut.They are also hard to get grafted thats why their so expensive and the cuttings or micropropagated plants will still retain a high price.If id start cloning then i would make my own solutions like agar and stuff like that to have a lot of cheap material to loose in case of failures.

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 02:31:18 AM »
I think micropropagation could be really interesting, especially for citrus. However, it does require extensive equipment. Furthermore, you can't really determine if your propagated plants have a juvenile phase or not, which means you should base your method on work that was previously done (or be patient).

I was also wondering if it could be useful to graft citrus seedlings? I have some experience with in vitro grafting of tomato, and the protocol is very straightforward (if you have the right equipment). Would grafting citrus seedlings give the same benefits as grafting rootstock with scion? Any experiences?

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 02:59:22 AM »
I am not sure what you are up to with micropropagation, but I see no sense to use it, except to clean the budwood.
You have all answers to your questions on web. It is not an easy technique.
So, mature  material is not easy to regenerate via in vitro, juvenile is doing better, but who will multiple juvenile plants?
Very good info:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/255685042_Micropropagation_of_Citrus

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 10:14:59 AM »
Thanks for the link.
It makes sense to make clean plants in a faster way such are rootstock or rare plants.
For me it might be a better option because in small place I can grow like 100 plants and I am not dependent on the weather from outside.
I still think that a mature stem with buds will not have a juvenile period. Like the research you mentioned:
regenerated plantlets from nodal segments of mature plants of Cleopatra mandarin, Carrizo citrange, Rangpur lime and sweet orange. Singh et al. (1994) have also regenerated plants from shoot tips
collected from mature plants of mandarin and lemon, based on morphological characters (thorniness, growth habit and internode length) the established plants did not appear to be juvenile.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk