Author Topic: Avocado for windward oahu  (Read 1286 times)

Lonomakana

• Kaneohe, HI
    • View Profile
Avocado for windward oahu
« on: August 05, 2019, 10:37:41 PM »
Hi,  looking for avocado suggestions for a backyard with room for two trees. I'm at about 700 ft with 75" annual rain. My priorities are fruit that keep well on the tree and produce quality in my area (Kaneohe). I'm not concerned about volume or shelf life.  A regular bearer would be preferred.

fruitnewbie

• USA, HI, Wahiawa, 10
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado for windward oahu
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 03:15:30 AM »
I live in Wahiawa and have probably a bit more rainfall than you and I am at 1150 ft. I currently have Sharwil, Greengold, Nishikawa, Ota and Malama in my yard. I have Yamagata, Beta Rodrigues , Nishikawa, Sharwill, Green Gold and Ota at a farm at 750 ft. The biggest problem in Kaneohe is the amount of rain. make sure your tree has a lot of good drainage, no ponding. A slope wound be ideal. Amend the planting hold based on a soil test from the University or use the soil map.

As for varieties that fit your requirements, Sharwil holds well on the tree as well as Green Gold which is a seedling of Sharwil. if you would like some Summer fruit, Malama or Murashige are good choices but the shelf life is not as long as Sharwil. You could consider grafting different varieties on one tree. Best of luck and enjoy your trees. Learn to graft, it is fun. Aloha.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 03:56:31 AM »
hawaii has good avocado varieties for sure. i seen lots of mainland varieties, but not sure if they'd do well here etc.

personally, i've enjoyed eating Yani, Kahaluu, MIT13, Malama, and Sharwil.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 03:15:46 AM »
You should be able to grow any of the Hawaiian avos there. My personal favorites are Yamagata, Linda, Kahaluu, and Malama. If you are planting 2 plant an A and B type flowers to get heavier fruit set. This fact sheet has a chart with types of flowers and seasons of fruiting:
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HC-4.pdf
Oscar

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 12:16:04 AM »
Was wondering if any of you have or tasted Hulumanu avocado.
I live here in Southern California and found that this Hawaiian variety does well here.
I just recently found out that My brother has a very large tree of this variety.  I asked him about the taste
And he said it was good.  Actually everything is good to him so I thought I’d ask before taking Scions to graft.
Am also curious about its characteristics.
Any help is appreciated.

Lonomakana

• Kaneohe, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »
Thanks for all of the input, folks.  I have a Malama coming in next Saturday.  My soil drains well.  I filled a 2ft hole twice and it drained in 20 minutes.  The spot is on a slight slope for about 12 ft from the hole and then a steep drop down to a stream. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk