Author Topic: Can I carry plants out of Australia?  (Read 2726 times)

Jake the indian

• A Durian Lover first & a Fruit Farmer next
    • India, Western ghats, Indo-Malaya ecozone
    • View Profile
Can I carry plants out of Australia?
« on: August 06, 2015, 05:34:20 PM »
Would like to know if it is possible to carry plants (of mostly introduced species, like Durian, Abius, Pulasan etc) out of Australia. Isn't that allowed in most countries/airports??

"For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God"

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Can I carry plants out of Australia?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:56:50 PM »
I think the issue is, whether the country you are importing to, allows it.  in other words,  if you are flying from Australia to India,  you will need to check with India's agricultural dept, and/or customs.

I have heard of some some local governments prohibiting exports,  for example, I believe ( correct me anyone if I am wrong ) that citrus is illegal to import or export out of Florida.  ( plants )
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Jake the indian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 05:14:45 AM »
I think the issue is, whether the country you are importing to, allows it.  in other words,  if you are flying from Australia to India,  you will need to check with India's agricultural dept, and/or customs.

I have heard of some some local governments prohibiting exports,  for example, I believe ( correct me anyone if I am wrong ) that citrus is illegal to import or export out of Florida.  ( plants )

Thanks for the reply, Tropicdude. Though it is legally prohibited to bring exotic plants into India, it is too easy to bypass the customs here, as the officials at the airport don't even bother to look at the customs declaration form:D The challenge would be if the Australian authorities/customs have a problem.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:16:50 AM by Jake the indian »
"For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God"

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 06:23:09 AM »
Hello Jake
If you have a look at this page you will see most of the things you are interested in will probably be OK.
http://www.agriculture.gov.au/export/plants-plant-products/exportersguide
Though as Tropicdude suggests, Australia does have concerns about the importing country but more
for maintaining good relations than anything else I think.

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:23:22 AM »
This is an interesting idea! It seems from this forum that Australian members are growing some uncommon plants. Can members comment on which tropical fruit plants maybe be cultivated in Australia which are not found in the U.S.?
Federico
Homestead, FL

Jake the indian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:12:38 AM »
This is an interesting idea! It seems from this forum that Australian members are growing some uncommon plants. Can members comment on which tropical fruit plants maybe be cultivated in Australia which are not found in the U.S.?

Hi fsanchez 2002, I'm assuming Australia has the best collection of Abius (varieties like Z-4. Z-2, E-4 etc), Sweet tropical Passionfruit (Panama Gold, Red etc),  and the rare Macrantha durian, among others. They have access to the best varieties of South East Asian tropical fruits, due to geographic advantages of being located in the Asia-Pacific.

Jake the indian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »
Hello Jake
If you have a look at this page you will see most of the things you are interested in will probably be OK.
http://www.agriculture.gov.au/export/plants-plant-products/exportersguide
Though as Tropicdude suggests, Australia does have concerns about the importing country but more
for maintaining good relations than anything else I think.

Hello Dave,

I have been searching for the link you sent, for hours on the internet. Anyways, Thanks a lot :) I hope i'd be able to carry at least a few species of plants out of Australia :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »

There is no secret certain areas of Australia is a hotbed for tropical fruit.  You must have missed the many posts by Mike T.  Search out his posts and you will see the bounty that Australia can provide.
- Rob

johnnydougherty

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 12:36:54 AM »
I think you can ship plants from Australia to any international though Australia has been very strict when it comes to customs, there are section for more information on what can be brought in and out of Australia, and what items need to be declared. See more here: Acc customs clearance Perth