Author Topic: Help keep my "black thumb" at bay  (Read 2940 times)

jlondon

• View Profile
Help keep my "black thumb" at bay
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:19 PM »
Alas, my temporarily green thumb is threatening to change for the worse. I was recently gifted a number of tropical plants, bromeliads (which I have since learned I am allergic to--happen to anyone else?), praying plants (those plants where the leaves fold up in the dark), and some orchids. Any advice on how I keep these all alive? Especially the orchids. I am an infamous murderer of orchids.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:01:42 PM by jlondon »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Help keep my "black thumb" at bay
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:56:30 PM »
Alas, my temporarily green thumb is threatening to change for the worse. I was recently gifted a number of tropical plants, bromeliads (which I have since learned I am allergic to--happen to anyone else?), praying plants (those plants where the leaves fold up in the dark), and some orchids. Any advice on how I keep these all alive? Especially the orchids. I am in infamous murderer of orchids.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've killed quite a few plants in the past couple of years. Just blame the plant for dying.

Are your bromeliads and praying plants in the ground or in containers? In containers you would probably want to plant them in a well drained potting mix and water them often. Maybe hit them with a foliar fertilizer spray on occasion.

What type of orchids are they?

jlondon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:01:21 PM »
I put them all in the ground (that's how I found out that I was allergic) in a "filtered light" to "low light" area.

I will find out what my orchids are and get back to you--it matters what kind? I currently have them inside.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
I put them all in the ground (that's how I found out that I was allergic) in a "filtered light" to "low light" area.

I will find out what my orchids are and get back to you--it matters what kind? I currently have them inside.
Yes, some like full shade, some filtered sun and some will take a good portion of direct sun.  Despite what soem people say/do, orchids do not like air conditioning so if your "inside" is within your air conditioned house, beware your "black thumb" may rule one again.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »
Depends what type of Orchids you have but many of the orchids like morning sunlight, try to avoid direct sunlight.  They also hate tap water, try using RO water.  Many people kill Phalenopsis Orchids my overwatering.  When you water, water deeply or simply submerse your orchid container in some RO water for several minutes so It can saturate the orchid mix and roots.  Let it completely drain.  You should let your orchid dry out before watering again.  You likely won't need to water for another 2-4 weeks depending on the type of orchid, its size, and the size of the pot it is in.  Many types of orchids like some mistings with RO water.  Cold weather and fewer hours of light may induce flowering depending on the type of orchid.  Good luck!
Simon

jlondon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
Thank you everyone! I didn't know that they don't like A/C, but that makes perfect sense! I had one right under an A/C vent last time and all the flowers quickly began to fall off. I went home and checked to see what kind of orchid it was but the little sign was gone...yes...I need the signs...anyway, it's light pink that turns to white...I should probably post a picture so that I can get the best advice. I will stay away from the tap water too...another thing I was doing wrong!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk