Author Topic: Ross Sapote or Canistel?  (Read 32409 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Ross Sapote or Canistel?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
Hello,

What is the difference in taste between Ross Sapote and Canistel? I found one reference on the Internet saying that Ross Sapote is slightly sweeter and has a fruitier taste. Is that accurate? If it is, it sounds pretty tasty to me.

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 11:42:49 PM »
Hello,

What is the difference in taste between Ross Sapote and Canistel? I found one reference on the Internet saying that Ross Sapote is slightly sweeter and has a fruitier s. Is that accurate? If it is, it sounds pretty tasty to me.

Tomas

I think main difference is that ross sapote is moister inside than most canistels. But there are some canistels that are equally moist and good. I don't think there is that much taste difference.
Oscar

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 11:49:30 PM »
Hello,

What is the difference in taste between Ross Sapote and Canistel? I found one reference on the Internet saying that Ross Sapote is slightly sweeter and has a fruitier taste. Is that accurate? If it is, it sounds pretty tasty to me.

Tomas

If the canistel you are used to eating is 'Bruce' (like most people down here), then the taste is significantly better. Fairchild #2 is supposed to taste very similar though....Jeff can speak to this.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 11:56:28 PM »
Hello,

Tomas

If the canistel you are used to eating is 'Bruce' (like most people down here), then the taste is significantly better. Fairchild #2 is supposed to taste very similar though....Jeff can speak to this.
I would say the most common canistel in SFla is the canistel formerly known as 9681, or now known as Trompo.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2012, 12:07:46 AM »

The small orange canistel has seeds like a ross, is at least as moist and I think tastes better.There seems to be much variation in seedling trees.I wonder if this has some ross blood (sap).

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:29 AM »

The small orange canistel has seeds like a ross, is at least as moist and I think tastes better.There seems to be much variation in seedling trees.I wonder if this has some ross blood (sap).
Mike - how was the taste of those?  Taste-wise, what would you most closely relate it to?
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 12:14:41 AM »
It is like a ross but a feather sweeter with another flavor going on.... kinda smokey or nutty...hard to explain.It was very pasty but small with 2 large seeds. Lots od seedling were planted in the past and this is probably just a bit of variation from a standard type outcrossing.

natsgarden123

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »
Had my arm twisted and came home with this.....  Ross Sapote   :)

Look happy- just needs some mulch and it will be good to go.

Does anyone have this tree?  The book says its a moderate grower-to 30 feet.  Any experiences?

thanks
Nat

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »
My experience is that it is a much slower grower than 'Trompo' or 'Aurea' or 'Bruce'.
Har

natsgarden123

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
Thanks. Does that mean it will also be slower to fruit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »
Thanks. Does that mean it will also be slower to fruit?

Planted eggfruit (canistel) and ross sapotes side by side. The eggfruit are growing tiwce+ as fast and look a lot better. So my guess is yes, the ross sapote will be a lot slower to fruit.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »
I have Ross do the first (and only) time at Harry's.  it was a delight.  I have 4 or 5 seedlings and a lot of patience.  Much more moisture than canistel (which I also enjoy).

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 08:12:09 PM »

Future I posted this picture of a Ross Sapote in another thread last week.I am pretty sure about the difference now with Ross being moist and vey nice.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 08:13:36 PM »
Oh yeah the marcotted Ross Sapote tee in my yard is a vigorous grower and much faster than my grafted canistel.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 08:55:18 PM »
I think marcottage is best in spring, summer for Canistel, and sapodilla... has anyone airlayered green sap or mamey?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »
I have Ross do the first (and only) time at Harry's.  it was a delight.  I have 4 or 5 seedlings and a lot of patience.  Much more moisture than canistel (which I also enjoy).
I have had canistel which was every bit as moist as the Ross.  It is the flavor of the Ross that makes it better, IMO.

As to your Ross seedlings...they do not come true from seed so there is no telling what you will get once they fruit.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
I think it is possible to get lucky with seedlings.That whopper I am eating in the picture came from a seedling tree and was of excellent quality and size.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
I think it is possible to get lucky with seedlings.That whopper I am eating in the picture came from a seedling tree and was of excellent quality and size.
I agree you can get lucky with seedlings but as with any other fruit that does not come true from seed, it is a pure crapshoot and involves investing a lot of time and effort to not know what you will truly get (and I know a lot who do endure this time will state that their seedling fruit is outstanding regardless of actual quality).
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 10:12:28 AM »
I believe Bill Whitman's Ross sapote was a seedling. Are the Florida nurseries grafting scion wood from that tree? I think most plants getting called Ross are seedlings.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
I believe Bill Whitman's Ross sapote was a seedling. Are the Florida nurseries grafting scion wood from that tree? I think most plants getting called Ross are seedlings.
Yes, I do  believe Whitman's is a seedling but that obviously doesn't mean that every seedling will turn out like his or even of worthy quality.  Lara Farms is grafting it as is at least one other nursery in SFla.  I don't know of any nurseries selling "seedling" Ross' labeled as Ross (not to say they are not but since there is more of a demand and few people able to find them, I would stick to the the thought that nurseries are not selling Ross' that are seedlings).
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 04:05:33 PM »
Yes, I do  believe Whitman's is a seedling but that obviously doesn't mean that every seedling will turn out like his or even of worthy quality.  Lara Farms is grafting it as is at least one other nursery in SFla.  I don't know of any nurseries selling "seedling" Ross' labeled as Ross (not to say they are not but since there is more of a demand and few people able to find them, I would stick to the the thought that nurseries are not selling Ross' that are seedlings).

My tree is grafted. Is is from the original Whitman tree?

Nat

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »

As to your Ross seedlings...they do not come true from seed so there is no telling what you will get once they fruit.

Noted.  I live in a place where grafted trees are very very hard to come by (import restrictions, phytos etc.).  Hence I have lots of patience and will wait and see what I get.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »

Noted.  I live in a place where grafted trees are very very hard to come by (import restrictions, phytos etc.).  Hence I have lots of patience and will wait and see what I get.

Being that the "Ross" Sapote may not be a canistel at all you may end up with a fruit that is moist but more or less seedy and size/shaped differently. Lets just hope the moisture carries over!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 05:55:41 AM »

If the Ross is really a distinct species from the canistel, which i tend to believe it is, then planting from seed would maintain same species. Ofcourse even within that distinct species, whatever it is, there will be some variation. That may be why Mike T is seeing some very large Ross. I guess all the supposed Ross plants in Australia are seedlings? Certainly in Hawaii they are all seedlings. My guess is that a majority of the plants are seedlings, except maybe for a few plants in Florida.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »

If the Ross is really a distinct species from the canistel, which i tend to believe it is, then planting from seed would maintain same species. Ofcourse even within that distinct species, whatever it is, there will be some variation. That may be why Mike T is seeing some very large Ross. I guess all the supposed Ross plants in Australia are seedlings? Certainly in Hawaii they are all seedlings. My guess is that a majority of the plants are seedlings, except maybe for a few plants in Florida.

Some were brought in from the US as grafted plants and labelled Canistel cv. Ross Youngham. This is the label that the tree in the local BG is labelled as. It's growing int eh shade and is still prolific but pretty ratty. Seedlings from this tree come pretty true to type. Bats favor these over any canistel.