Author Topic: New To Citrus  (Read 4397 times)

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
New To Citrus
« on: April 30, 2014, 06:59:27 PM »
Hello my name is Josh, im new to growing citrus, but ive been growing aquatic plants for some years now so am somewhat familiar with it. i decided to grow some orange trees from seeds, i sourced the fruit from local orange trees, as there used to be local orange/olive orchards nearby and many of the houses still have the original orange/olive trees in their yards. I have been growing the seeds in containers in my room under some LED lighting. eventually they will be moved out into full sunlight(very soon as they have almost outgrown their homes). just thought i would share this with you guys. i have no idea what variety of seeds they are from the most research i could do didnt give me a solid answer. here are some pictures of their progress.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: New To Citrus
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »
Hello my name is Josh, im new to growing citrus, but ive been growing aquatic plants for some years now so am somewhat familiar with it. i decided to grow some orange trees from seeds, i sourced the fruit from local orange trees, as there used to be local orange/olive orchards nearby and many of the houses still have the original orange/olive trees in their yards. I have been growing the seeds in containers in my room under some LED lighting. eventually they will be moved out into full sunlight(very soon as they have almost outgrown their homes). just thought i would share this with you guys. i have no idea what variety of seeds they are from the most research i could do didnt give me a solid answer. here are some pictures of their progress.

I really hope someone will comment on this with more experience..maybe Millet. I'm no expert, but I beleive Orange trees seedlings do not grow true to parent and you may actually end up with bad Citrus fruit after waiting8 years for them to finally fruit..Chances are pretty slim on growing a Stud from Seed....Now WIKI does mention, Tangerines grow extreemly close to their parents from Seedlings...so maybe you grab some tangerine seeds or Mandarin seeds and have some good fruit...not sure you will get it from oranges.

Can someone with some experience elaborate a bit on this topic? Millet you there?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »
If you're patient, it sounds like you will get what you want:

"According to Dr. Carl Campbell at the University of Florida Extension research center, almost any sweet orange will come true from seed, as well as key limes, grapefruit, tangerine and tangelo. Two varieties that will not come true from seed are the temple orange and pomelo (Grapefruit grandfather). Meyer lemon also falls under this category. "  from http://thecitrusguy.blogspot.com/2010/08/to-seed-or-not-to-seed.html

But it might be a decade.  If you can find a grafted tree you get fruit within a year or two.

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
Yea i researched that too and know the risk from growing from seed its a genetic lottery as far as fruit quality goes. but the two plants i chose to keep were from one seed. one seed produced 2 shoots so i kept both the shoots and separated them and will grow both too adulthood, i figure if anything i may end up using these for root stocks or just as a fun experience.. i enjoy growing plants. i was debating on taking a ttrimming from the parent tree i got these seeds from and rooting it so im assured of getting fruit within a few years i got rooting hormone just havent had the time to go back and take a cutting from the tree. my seedlings just started getting thorns this week.

I do appreciate the replies guys and thanks for the link, it was an interesting read.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
Dr Carl might have to hit the books, or review experimental plantings as a matter of urgency if he is advising pomelo don't grow true but grapefruit do.Grapefruit grandfather for a pomelo?

Citrus that have grown from discarded seeds of valencia ornges and lemons up to 100 years ago can be found along logging trails in my district around where clearings and encampments were.They are collectively called bush lemons with bumpy yellow/orange skins,not quite as sour as standard lemons and they have huge trees.Until about 30 years ago they were the dominant rootstock used for many citrus.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
Brian's post is correct.  The citrus seeds that do come true from seed are:  All most all sweet oranges, true grapefruit, lemons, limes,  pure mandarins (other than king and clementine), most tangelos,  hybrid tangerines and tangors (except temple). Most pummelos do no produce true from seed. . - Millet

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 05:02:49 AM »
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/plants-fungi/seeds-of-trade/page.dsml?section=regions&region_ID=7&page=agriculture&ref=citrus

Well you could knock me down with a feather, it is correct as google confirmed but it is different from what I have long believed. There is still conflicting info on which citrus does grow true but it makes sense that polyembryonic seeds grow true. If monoembryoniuc seeds have not outcrossed they too may grow true.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »
What about flying dragon? I got a fruit (skin-covered seeds) of it last year and it's been sitting on a shelf. How long do the seeds stay viable?

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »
only one way to find out right?? plant that thing and see if its still viable

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
fyliu I had a flying dragon as an ornamental as the look so striking. It produced masses of fruit and for 2 years after the tree was removed seeds kept popping up so they last a while.

While on the topic of seeds there were huge buddhas hands in the market yesterday with many cut revealing no seeds just pure white pith. I have seen them before with seeds and a small amount of flesh but this variety had none of that.

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
I have an update on my 2 trees but I can't post any pictures as my phone wont post pictures to this site, I recently moved and do not have internet yet so I can't post from my laptop.  Maybe in a week or so. Both trees are doing well they are about 24" tall and one of them has a second branch the other is still waiting to send out its second branch. They have both experienced some leaf drop due to them being transplanted and moving to a new location. One of the trees the one with its second branch has a few odd shaped leaves, they look healthy but like they tried to develop an hourglass shape or tried growing another leaf from the tip of the leaf I took some pictures but once again I can't post them. There is no obvious sign of infection or disease and didn't look like greening to me from what I've seen online but I am in no way an expert. The other tree shows no signs of these leaves.

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 04:34:22 AM »

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 04:38:11 AM »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »
Looks like your doing a good job growing your seedling trees.  Don't worry abut the misshaped leaves, your seedling are quite healthy. - Millet