Author Topic: Put on a happy mammee face  (Read 10827 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Put on a happy mammee face
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:06:24 AM »
Just like with mamey sapote, you can determine ripeness of mammee apple by scratcing exterior surface. If color under the scratch looks green it's still unripe. If the color is orange then the fruit is ripe. After testing and scratching over several days strange patterns can form:

This fruit was really delicious! In my opinion a very good fruit that is largely ignored. It's the oddball in the clusiaceae family.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Put on a happy mammee face
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »
Oscar, you bring up bad memories of a certain Tom Hanks movie...deserted on an island with a mamee apple...
- Rob

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:01:10 AM »
Mammee apple was ignored in Belize because everyone insisted that they already had it... "big fruit, brown skin, orange inside, yah, we call it mammee sapote"  they would say, and you couldn't convince them that mammee apple is a totally different fruit. Same problem in reverse in Dominica. (they have mammee apple but not mammee sapote)   Perhaps with the invention of the smart phone, they will soon be convinced that a person can have 2 mammees.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »
how long from seed to fruit??  5-8 yrs?

I planted some this year and they are about 10 inches tall now...growing faster than other garcinias i have.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
I have a questions for the experienced Mammea american campaigners.Do seedlings just turn out as half male and half female and you really need to graft to get a hermaphrodite?

terejiguete

• Canary Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:57:21 AM »
hello

i have got one mamea americana from seedling, the last year flourished and its flowers are hermaphrodite. Twenty five years after plantedĦĦĦ. but the fruits fell off. flourished again this year.

i like this fruit, and the tree is very nice.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »
what be typical fruiting season for mammea?
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »
I have a questions for the experienced Mammea american campaigners.Do seedlings just turn out as half male and half female and you really need to graft to get a hermaphrodite?

I bet seeds from a herm tree would be herm...and sometimes u can just get luck and get a herm plant from any random seed, but chances are slimmer.

This is just an unedumacated postulation.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

terejiguete

• Canary Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 02:26:24 PM »
in my area there is only one tree. I remember as a young man eating fruit in December. but needs to mature more than one year.

what be typical fruiting season for mammea?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:28:13 PM by terejiguete »

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »
Here's the Fairchild Mammea grown at the garden. It's one of the best I have eaten and is mostly freestone. The tree is over 60 yrs old but has been battered by hurricanes and does not look that good any more. This fruit is  really nice and needs to be planted and grown more.  Very important to plant grafted ones from producing trees in order to avoid fruitless male trees. In the summer, it's a nice change of pace from mangos.   

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:27:35 PM by FloridaGreenMan »
FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 11:11:56 PM »
Here's the Fairchild Mammea grown at the garden. It's one of the best I have eaten and is mostly freestone. The tree is over 60 yrs old but has been battered by hurricanes and does not look that good any more. This fruit is  really nice and needs to be planted and grown more.  Very important to plant grafted ones from producing trees in order to avoid fruitless male trees. In the summer, it's a nice change of pace from mangos.   

It has a good texture. The flavor is okay. Can't eating too much of the fruit get you sick though?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 01:39:36 AM »

The one in the photo with the face is also a Fairchild. Have one ohter variety called Waimanalo that is supposed tp be semi dwarf.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 01:42:04 AM »

It has a good texture. The flavor is okay. Can't eating too much of the fruit get you sick though?

I never reached that level yet. Then again it's very hard to eat more than one fruit as they are very large and filling. I did make a smoothie with 4 fruits and i didn't get sick at all. I mixed 1/2 mammee and 1/2 cambuca. Was delicious!
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »

That's an old wives tale. I have eaten an entire large fruit with no problem!
FloridaGreenMan

terejiguete

• Canary Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
hello

some photos taken this morning

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9786876/

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
Wow, I reckon Al Jolson would walk a 1000 miles for one of those smiles.The Fairchild looks really good FGM.

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
I got some seeds from a trip to Florida some years ago the year I got the seeds the local squirrels thought I invited them to a smorgasboard.  That did in the seedlings.

I've heard some are rather insipid and others rather tasty, never had a fruit of this.  Definitely a mangosteen relative with an impressively large seed.  I hope to try a fruit sometime.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
I got some seeds from a trip to Florida some years ago the year I got the seeds the local squirrels thought I invited them to a smorgasboard.  That did in the seedlings.

I've heard some are rather insipid and others rather tasty, never had a fruit of this.  Definitely a mangosteen relative with an impressively large seed.  I hope to try a fruit sometime.

I have never heard of an insipid one, maybe it was spoiled. Good ones really so taste like apricots and bad ones are just bland.   
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 08:23:59 PM »
Oscar

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »
I have never heard of an insipid one, maybe it was spoiled. Good ones really so taste like apricots and bad ones are just bland.

Most of the people I asked about this fruit circa 2000-2003 had a low opinion of the fruit.  I gathered that some were better than others flavorwise (some of the people I asked said good ones were good and other ones not worth eating).

If there are any sources for purchasing whole fruits of this I'd be very interested.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »
The main  "problems" with this frui treet are that it makes too many fruits, so you have to have some way to process them. I just harvested about 20 of them, don't think i can eat them all! Most are cannoball sized. The other bigger problem is that sometimes they don't ripen evenly. One side will be ripe and the other side still hard. It's good to put them in a paper bag to help even ripening. So the problems don't have anything to do with the taste, in my opinion a very nice tasting and smelling fruit!
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Cannon Fodder or Mammee Apple?
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:53 AM »
Here's a pile of mammee apples next to some Neelam mangos for scale. (Actually Adam i put the mangos in the shot to attract some attention and comments from the mangophiles.  ;D)

Here are some cut open on top of the cannonball pile. (Actually i think  this fruit should be called cannonball fruit. Why call that other plant (Couropitea guinensis) a cannonball fruit when it's not really edible?) Mammee or mamey is just too confusing a name. I'm getting really fond of this fruit. It's very tasty. I can't eat too much of it though as it has a bit of a bitter aftertaste after eating lots. These are all from a Fairchild mammee tree. I think that the other mammee i have, Waimanalo mammee, is not as freestone as this one:

These fruits are Waimanalo mammees:

Here is what the flower, buds, and forming fruit look like:
Oscar

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 07:39:52 AM »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 11:39:31 PM »
i planted some seeds from a friend who got them from Chris Rollins.

I wonder how long to bear from seed?  4-6 yrs?

they're growing pretty fast...already a foot tall and less than 3 months old.
j planted 4 so I'd be sure to have a male and a female...and maybe even some self pollinating ones!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 11:42:53 PM »
i planted some seeds from a friend who got them from Chris Rollins.

I wonder how long to bear from seed?  4-6 yrs?

they're growing pretty fast...already a foot tall and less than 3 months old.
j planted 4 so I'd be sure to have a male and a female...and maybe even some self pollinating ones!

If you feed them intravenous with all your favorite fert products  i bet you can get them to fruit in 5 years.
Oscar