Author Topic: Avocado recommendations, Florida 10A on the Gulf Coast  (Read 5462 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Avocado recommendations, Florida 10A on the Gulf Coast
« on: October 02, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »
I'm looking for recommendations for 3 or 4 avocado trees (I have 100 gallon containers I'll be growing them in, at first). I'm a few hundred yards from the Gulf of Mexico, we haven't dropped below 30 degrees in forever, freeze/frost is not a major consideration. I'd prefer the trees to have relatively different fruiting seasons, rather than drowning in fruit all at once. My family is partial to the rich, oily taste of Hass, but I'm sure they'd come around if it's flavorful and not too watery. Anybody know this area that could give me their recs?

I've seen varieties like Oro Negro, Weurtz, Brogdan, Lula, Day, Reed, etc., recommended and disparaged in the same threads, so I know it's neigh impossible to get a consensus. Just hoping to hear a few opinions from some people in or relatively similar to Florida's 9b in climate.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:42:57 PM by JakeFruit »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado recommendations, Florida 9B on the Gulf Coast
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 01:13:56 PM »
Do remember when it comes to taste, everyone has an opinion. I am not partial to any avocado but I grow them anyway just because I was tired of people asking why I didn't :P Sir Prize seems to be popular on the west coast, I am growing one and it seems pretty tough having come back from a deer mauling. I have heard it is a relative and is better than Haas. Haas of course. Brogden is apparently highly thought of and grows well in Central Florida and probably down in your northern area of south Florida too.

I am really surprised you guys are 9B. I figured that far south you would be at least 10 at a minimum. You guys have stuff growing in your street medians that I wish I could grow even in pots(palm tree varieties).

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado recommendations, Florida 9B on the Gulf Coast
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 01:41:23 PM »
Maybe we are now, I need to look at a new chart (just going by what I remember from way back). Yeah, looks like we are a 10A now according to the 2012 map I just looked at (maybe even a 10B with how close I am to the Gulf). I read one or two comments about Sir Prize, but nothing from anybody growing it here. Brogden seems to have it share of +/- commentors, it's one I'm considering.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado recommendations, Florida 10A on the Gulf Coast
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
All the ones you have listed are top shelf choices.  Reed is a California variety that may not do as well here in Florida.  You have the advantage of being near the gulf.  It's been said that nearly any Cado allowed to stay on a mature tree long enough will develop good flavor.  Often negative reviews come from fruit that was picked to soon or not ripened properly or people trying to grow varieties in a region they don't do well in.  My Brogdons this year were just as good (I thought better) as any Haas and my neighbors agreed.  Most people can agree if a Cado has good flavor or not.  Pine Island Nursery says Oro Negro is their best tasting variety and what they choose to take home for themselves if available.  My advice is plant as many Cado trees as space allows.  Between the squirrels, family and the neighbors they get scarfed up quick.  Unlike zucchini and limes they are rarely wasted.  We can grow great tasting avocados in Florida.  The bad rep comes from store bought Alligator pears that are not very good..same as store bought tomatoes and mangoes. 

Personally my top 3 picks for 9B are Brogdon, Oro Negro & Day.  All are popular varieties in our area and common back yard varieties. Lula while good is a scab magnet and has a sweet flavor that not everyone likes.  Fruitscapes Super Haas is a variety that is worth considering, but is said to have uneven ripening issues. 

By properly choosing your varieties you should be able to have cados from August to February or better.  Personally I would plant them in the ground rather than in planters unless you have a reason not to.

Once you start picking mature avocados off your own trees you will be thrilled to have them.  You will be very popular with your neighbors. 

Good Luck!!!

WI'm looking for recommendations for 3 or 4 avocado trees (I have 100 gallon containers I'll be growing them in, at first). I'm a few hundred yards from the Gulf of Mexico, we haven't dropped below 30 degrees in forever, freeze/frost is not a major consideration. I'd prefer the trees to have relatively different fruiting seasons, rather than drowning in fruit all at once. My family is partial to the rich, oily taste of Hass, but I'm sure they'd come around if it's flavorful and not too watery. Anybody know this area that could give me their recs?

I've seen varieties like Oro Negro, Weurtz, Brogdan, Lula, Day, Reed, etc., recommended and disparaged in the same threads, so I know it's neigh impossible to get a consensus. Just hoping to hear a few opinions from some people in or relatively similar to Florida's 9b in climate.

Thanks!!
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 08:26:53 AM »
Thanks NightHawk! I suffer from paralysis of over-analysis when it comes to choices like this. I fear I'll put 5-10 years into a tree only to discover it's not the best. I'm luck to have a big lot, but unlucky to have several big oak trees on it. They are laurel oaks, so their lifespan isn't limitless (the biggest one is ready to give up the ghost, diseased and hollow). That's one of the reasons I'm starting the trees in containers, hopefully I can plug them in as space opens up.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
Thanks NightHawk! I suffer from paralysis of over-analysis when it comes to choices like this. I fear I'll put 5-10 years into a tree only to discover it's not the best. I'm luck to have a big lot, but unlucky to have several big oak trees on it. They are laurel oaks, so their lifespan isn't limitless (the biggest one is ready to give up the ghost, diseased and hollow). That's one of the reasons I'm starting the trees in containers, hopefully I can plug them in as space opens up.

Recommend RootBuilder "pots", bottomless.  Less hassle, bigger more productive trees.

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »
I’m in the same area and my Russell avocado has done outstanding. Brogdon great as well.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »
I have a roll on it's way, you're posts on them was probably one of the biggest factors in my decision :D
I went with the 34" height, since they'll be above ground for who knows how long. I figure I'll start with 30 gallon pots and then move them up to 80 gallon. My biggest concern at the jump is the SW Florida sun beating down on the pots all-day/every-day, I've been toying with ideas of how to minimize that. I wish they offered a white-coated version, but hopefully it'll be a non-issue.
Recommend RootBuilder "pots", bottomless.  Less hassle, bigger more productive trees.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 11:29:56 AM »
Avocados hate pots. I have started building large fertile mounds with heavy heavy mulch at the farm where I work and just direct sow Waldin seed with a small cage around it to field graft in a couple months. Thst is on the extreme side but a more practical method in my eyes would have the oaks removed and chipped into mulch.  Build your fertile mounds and plant out the youngest 3 gal you can find after gently opening up the football. Avocados grow like weeds when properly taken care of. Don’t skimp on the mulch. You can always topwork later if you don’t like the varieties but I’m sure you will be pleased with whatever you choose.
-Josh

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 12:12:36 PM »
Sarasota is not the best place to live when you want to take down heritage oaks, especially if you live in the city limits. I've had multiple tree removal companies come out to quote the biggest tree, most were very skeptical I could get a permit, and the quotes that did come through were each for several thousand dollars....it's containers for now.
Avocados hate pots. I have started building large fertile mounds with heavy heavy mulch at the farm where I work and just direct sow Waldin seed with a small cage around it to field graft in a couple months. Thst is on the extreme side but a more practical method in my eyes would have the oaks removed and chipped into mulch.  Build your fertile mounds and plant out the youngest 3 gal you can find after gently opening up the football. Avocados grow like weeds when properly taken care of. Don’t skimp on the mulch. You can always topwork later if you don’t like the varieties but I’m sure you will be pleased with whatever you choose.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 01:30:13 AM »
Sarasota is not the best place to live when you want to take down heritage oaks, especially if you live in the city limits. I've had multiple tree removal companies come out to quote the biggest tree, most were very skeptical I could get a permit, and the quotes that did come through were each for several thousand dollars....it's containers for now.

If you want an avocado that will FRUIT & do well in a pot both DAY & WURTZ are by far your best choices.  Day can be kept small and some Wurtz I have seen look more like an Avocado Bush.  Flavor is said to be very good for both.  Fruitscapes in Bookelia carries all the trees I mentioned.  Steve there is also a wealth of good info.   They have a good selection of reasonably priced good looking trees as well as fruit to sample/buy.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

artary3

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
I would recommend Brogdon as well.  I have my avocados in large planters and they seem happy right now at 3 years old.  I have only heard good things about Russel avocados but they are more cold sensitive.  You could probably grow them in Sarasota.  I would have more trouble in Orlando.  Avocados want to be big trees so keeping them in pots requires some work.  Keep an eye on the watering because the summer sun can stress potted trees easily.  I plan on moving mine into the ground after another few years.  I may need to root prune the trees to keep them happy in a pot that long.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »
My Lula is 35 ft tall now and I have to use a ladder with the picker pole.  I give away lots of fruit and the neighbors agree it tastes great!
Dan

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 07:36:57 AM »
I am also in SW Florida and on Pine Island close to Fruitscapes. I have a lot of avocado trees and am selling and sampling several varieties this season. I usually sell to Fruitscapes and other retailers but am happy to sell on the farm to the public and especially connect with members. Currently I'm selling retail for $2/pound.

Picking has gone as follows:
June-July- Mexicola
July-August- Brogdon
August-Sept- Brogdon, Russel, Golden, Hall
Sept- Brogdon, Golden, Hall, Marcus Pumpkin, Donnie
October- Hall, Marcus Pumpkin

I have several unknown and seedling varieties which I am still evaluating. Identified are Choquette, Nishikawa, Oro Negro, Day and others.
In my judgement almost all avocados we can grow are good if well ripened. Storebought fruit
from larger commecial orchards are often picked too young since holding them on the tree represents a possible loss.
Fruit get's defects from disease & rubbing, winds knock them down, squirrels chew on them. Some get too ripe and drop, and pickers aren't always selective. So they pick them and collect their money but the customer gets a fruit which hasn't reached it's potential. If you have the space plant a range of trees to ripen over time. You can pretty easily control size by pruning, much easier than Mango for comparison, but faster than Sapodilla. Definitely plant on a mound, definitely mulch heavy, ground covers are good, grass is bad. Medium to rich fertilization, plenty of water but maintain drainage. I am speaking only of SW Florida conditions other areas will have their own set of conditions.

Bitterlick

• Longboat Key, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 11:22:49 AM »
We are in 10a as well, and we are having great success with our Oro Negro: highly recommended.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 02:40:12 PM »
A new law was passed recently that seems to be saying no permits required.
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/regional/florida/new-law-allows-property-owners-to-remove-trim-trees-without-a-permit/67-5bf8fc04-5f76-4266-b015-4dabbede9d28#targetText=A%20new%20law%20in%20Florida,approval%20from%20their%20local%20municipality.&targetText=%22We%20need%20trees.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 10:10:50 AM »
I am also in SW Florida and on Pine Island close to Fruitscapes. I have a lot of avocado trees and am selling and sampling several varieties this season. I usually sell to Fruitscapes and other retailers but am happy to sell on the farm to the public and especially connect with members. Currently I'm selling retail for $2/pound.

June-July- Mexicola

This is what blows my mind, the timeset. I got a couple of Mexicola Grande from Alex in late June with my mango order and although they were good they could have hung for another month.  Folks in SoCal don't pick until fall.

My Oro Negro weren't at their best until Jan. - Feb.  Here's Feb. fruit:

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2019, 09:21:25 PM »
June-July- Mexicola
This is what blows my mind, the timeset. I got a couple of Mexicola Grande from Alex in late June with my mango order and although they were good they could have hung for another month.  Folks in SoCal don't pick until fall.
I did have one person over who thought the Mexicola I have is something else, mainly because they are smaller than what he was used to. The local nursery came and got budwood and said it is Mexicola, they knew about my trees. It flowers a few weeks earlier than the rest, is the earliest I have and doesn't hold on the tree at all, dropping off soon after turning black. It does get hot and humid in June here. The trees really load up. Here is a pic.

edit:
Looking at Carlos' page his is the same as mine but he has a pic from UFL showing Mexicola with a longer neck.
He also mentions his ripens very early, even in May.
https://www.myavocadotrees.com/mexicola-avocado.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:26:43 PM by pineislander »

mmanners

• Horticulture Professor at Florida Southern College
    • Lakeland Florida, USA. USDA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 09:42:00 PM »
I grow Brogdon in Lakeland and love it.  But if I were in 10a, I think I'd go with some less cold-hardy ones as well.  A couple of older varieties, if you can find them, are 'Dr. Dupuis #2' and 'Booth 7'.  Both are quite delicious.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations. Looking at the Booth 7 and I think that's what I've been getting from a relative down south of me. Those are very tasty, good oil content, softball-sized, and they hold quite well in the fridge as I cut off quarters every few days to sample.

I grow Brogdon in Lakeland and love it.  But if I were in 10a, I think I'd go with some less cold-hardy ones as well.  A couple of older varieties, if you can find them, are 'Dr. Dupuis #2' and 'Booth 7'.  Both are quite delicious.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 10:55:49 AM »
First time I saw Booth 7 I thought it was Reed.
I bought 1 but couldn’t eat it.
It was very stringy inside.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 02:12:13 PM »
A new law was passed recently that seems to be saying no permits required.
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/regional/florida/new-law-allows-property-owners-to-remove-trim-trees-without-a-permit/67-5bf8fc04-5f76-4266-b015-4dabbede9d28#targetText=A%20new%20law%20in%20Florida,approval%20from%20their%20local%20municipality.&targetText=%22We%20need%20trees.

This is very interesting. I am in the early stages of training as a climbing arborist and had no idea about this. I sent it to my boss to see if he has dealt with this new law.

We had one lady file a permit to remove a seedling sapodilla that was crowded by trees all around it and she got denied. Manilkara zapota is on the invasive species list! These people are nuts. I told to her appeal and hopefully let someone else know how insane this is. The area of the yard is a full canopy of over planted trees.

I can't believe anyone would fuss over laurel oaks. I understand some people just clear cut everything they can and plant grass but a little common sense goes a long way.
-Josh

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
The City of Sarasota is ridiculous, they'll make you permit anything, even strangler figs. It's all about the $$$. I know a large vacant lot that had several Australian Pines and other invasive trees on it that the city wouldn't permit. Hurricane Irma came through and one of those Australian Pines landed on a neighbor's house. I understand trying to control development and developers (who want to clear everything), but forcing citizens to keep non-native trees is ham-handed policy.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your contributions! Next two questions I have in my avocado quest:

1. When is the best time to graft? From my reading it seems late fall is a good time to start grafting here in Florida. I just attempted my last mango graft for the season, so I'm hoping that's true. Anybody have any recommendation on when the best time to graft is in 10A?

2. Where/who are good scion sources? I've used Truly Tropical & George (on this forum) for my mango scions, happy with both. I am guessing it might just be the wrong time of year, but I do not see anybody in the state of Florida offering avocado scions for sale in the first few pages of the Buy, Sell, Trade board.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your contributions! Next two questions I have in my avocado quest:

1. When is the best time to graft? From my reading it seems late fall is a good time to start grafting here in Florida. I just attempted my last mango graft for the season, so I'm hoping that's true. Anybody have any recommendation on when the best time to graft is in 10A?

2. Where/who are good scion sources? I've used Truly Tropical & George (on this forum) for my mango scions, happy with both. I am guessing it might just be the wrong time of year, but I do not see anybody in the state of Florida offering avocado scions for sale in the first few pages of the Buy, Sell, Trade board.

1. Depends on what you’re grafting. For example  Avocados graft easiest in the late fall/winter months. Mangos between April and September/October.

2. Our farm sells avocado scions too, available until they start flowering in February or so.