Author Topic: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!  (Read 52860 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Looks like Kilauea went off with new eruption an evacuating Pahoa where Oscar @ fruitlovers.com lives! I think it's away from were he's at but hope Oscar an family are fine.

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
That's disastrous! Hope Oscar and everyone are safe!

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Looks like Kilauea went off with new eruption an evacuating Pahoa where Oscar @ fruitlovers.com lives! I think it's away from were he's at but hope Oscar an family are fine.

Looking at the map, I think it's actually not that far from him (maybe 2 miles?) -- I think he's outside of the "rift" zone but in the potential lava flow area (though I guess technically all of that side of Hawaii is in a potential lava flow area).  Hope things are ok, Oscar!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:55:47 PM by barath »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
a 3rd fissure has now started erupting nearby to the second fissure which started overnight.

ohnoes112  04/05/2018 at 17:54
Now confirmed by HVO –> https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/status.html

ohnoes112  04/05/2018 at 18:31
https://www.facebook.com/milekalincoln.hnn/videos/1770528166339403/?t=0
http://www.volcanocafe.org/the-majestic-volcanoes-of-kyushu-japan-part-i-sakurajima-and-kirishima/comment-page-1/#comment-24060

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Hopefully Oscar is ok.  It sounds like there have been no casualties or homes lost so far.  Pahoa town has not been evacuated, in fact, people are being evacuated to Pahoa.  I think sometimes "Pahoa" is used generically to refer to the region and can be misleading.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Hopefully Oscar is ok.  It sounds like there have been no casualties or homes lost so far.  Pahoa town has not been evacuated, in fact, people are being evacuated to Pahoa.  I think sometimes "Pahoa" is used generically to refer to the region and can be misleading.
here they say two houses burning...

BREAKING  LeilaniEstatesEruption: First look at the two homes that caught fire after a third eruption broke out at Kaupili Street and Leilani Avenue in the #LeilaniEstates evacuation zone.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Ok, well that is new since I checked earlier this am.  Looks like the social media is quicker on this than news outlets.

here they say two houses burning...

BREAKING  LeilaniEstatesEruption: First look at the two homes that caught fire after a third eruption broke out at Kaupili Street and Leilani Avenue in the #LeilaniEstates evacuation zone.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
OMG, it didn't even occur to me until this moment that Oscar's place might be at risk! That would be tragic   :(

Even the gas alone... after we had an extremely high SO2 eruption at Holuhraun from Barðarbunga a few years ago, it did terrible damage to plants, even a long way away from the eruption.  It does both short term to the foliage, and acidifies the soil.  The stuff is nasty, it'd form these blue fogs; you'd feel fine when not exerting yourself, but you'd get exhausted quickly when you exerted yourself, and you'd feel bad for a good while afterwards. And metal rusted really fast in them.  We had a really high rate of sheep deaths after the eruption, too, although the exact cause is still uncertain.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:30:02 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
[USGS]
M5.6
May-04 21:36:46 UTC,
18km SW of Leilani Estates, Hawaii, Depth:1.0km,

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 05:50:38 PM »
2018-05-04   21:38:23.5
06min ago
19.36    N     155.02    W     0   4.2    ISLAND OF HAWAII, HAWAII
F

2018-05-04   21:32:47.6
12min ago
19.49    N     155.41    W     21   5.2    ISLAND OF HAWAII, HAWAII
https://www.emsc-csem.org/#2

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 05:56:49 PM »
Quake swarm starting it seams... two more quakes.

2018-05-04 21:43:53.8
06min ago
19.37 N 155.02 W 0   3.7 ISLAND OF HAWAII, HAWAII
2018-05-04 21:41:53.9
08min ago
19.32 N 154.95 W 3   3.6 HAWAII REGION, HAWAII

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 06:01:39 PM »

The Leilani quakes seemed to have stopped and now Kapaaha is shaking.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 06:09:02 PM »
Looks like fresh output (vent) just outside the geothermal plant behind the green building on pg cam

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 08:01:01 PM »
Good photo update of the lava flow here

https://weather.com/news/news/hawaii-lava-flow-update-pahoa-20141030

You can see a nursery burning down with the lava flow in the pictures. I hope Oscar's place is not impacted, he may not be to far from the fissures opening up  :-[
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 08:18:40 PM »
Pretty sure that nursery is old footage from the 2014 flow.  As of this moment (and that could change literally at anytime), the lava is only in Leilani subdivision.  Plenty of shaking going on though. I had to run outside for the 6.9.  That was scary.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »
Pretty sure that nursery is old footage from the 2014 flow.  As of this moment (and that could change literally at anytime), the lava is only in Leilani subdivision.  Plenty of shaking going on though. I had to run outside for the 6.9.  That was scary.

Picture 30, someones fruit farm in direct path of the lava flow   :'(.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »
Yeah, that was from the 2014 flow that did almost take out Pahoa.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 08:52:18 PM »
I'll never be able to mentally comprehend the Hawaiian attitude of "let the lava flow where it may".  Back in 2014 when a guy actually defended his home and everyone got mad at him for doing so.  Saying that he made the lava worse for his neighbors by directing it around his house.... but they could have all done the same thing and directed it around the whole neighborhood into unpopulated areas (there was a really obvious route for it), and it would have been more time-efficient to protect everyone en masse.  Instead they had this fatalistic, "Pele-will-take-what-she-will", "resistance-is-futile" attitude to the flow. And always seems to, in a way that I never see in any other volcanically active area.  Despite the fact that while Kilauea's eruptions are long, they're rather low flow rate, which makes things easier.

If Hawaii were like Iceland, a large chunk of the state would have been converging on Kilauea with every last industrial-scale water pump and every last piece of earthmoving equipment they can get their hands on (and importing whatever they can't, with as fast shipping as possible, regardless of the price).  Back when Eldfell erupted on Heimaey in the 1970s (in the middle of a Cod War with the UK), while the country opened up its homes to the fleeing residents, a huge number of people went in the opposite direction, out to the lava front. Icelanders were out there walking on the lava before it even cooled, directing a nonstop stream of seawater against the flow.  The eruption was right near town, and while they did lose a fair chunk of the town, not only did they manage to save part, but they more importantly stopped the flow from filling in the harbour (which would have in large part led to an abandonment of the island... no harbour, no fishing fleet, no economy, no Heimaey). 

I sometimes see people make excuses for the lack of countermeasures, like "we made tiny efforts a couple times nearly a century ago and it didn't work, therefore there's no point" attitude, despite the fact that many countries have had good success, particularly in the modern era, with much more effective techniques, modern equipment, and computer modeling of flows.  I just have trouble internalizing this fatalism.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:33:27 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »
"resistance-is-futile" attitude

If Hawaii were like Iceland, a large chunk of the state would have been converging on Kilauea with every last industrial-scale water pump and every last piece of earthmoving equipment they can get their hands on (and importing whatever they can't, with as fast shipping as possible, regardless of the price).  Back when Eldfell erupted on Heimaey in the 1970s (in the middle of a Cod War with the UK), while the country opened up its homes to the fleeing residents, a huge number of people went in the opposite direction, out to the lava front. Icelanders were out there walking on the lava before it even cooled, directing a nonstop stream of seawater against the flow.  The eruption was right near town, and while they did lose a fair chunk of the town, not only did they manage to save part, but they more importantly stopped the flow from filling in the harbour (which would have in large part led to an abandonment of the island... no harbour, no fishing fleet, no economy, no Heimaey). 

Karen, this is a site with over 20 pictures of the 1973 Eldfell Eruption and pictures of the town/people/ & lava flow.
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/01/the-eldfell-eruption-of-1973/514394/
I would love to see the seawater hitting the lava on youtube but I guess no luck for 1973 events...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 09:27:13 PM »
Karen, this is a site with over 20 pictures of the 1973 Eldfell Eruption and pictures of the town/people/ & lava flow.
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/01/the-eldfell-eruption-of-1973/514394/
I would love to see the seawater hitting the lava on youtube but I guess no luck for 1973 events...

If you ever make it out to Iceland, I definitely recommend checking out the volcano museum on Heimaey; it's excellent.  They built it around an "archaeological dig" into the lava flow /tephra fall where it had been overflowing houses, so it's like this 1970s version of Pompei - and as you walk around, the audio guide system walks you through the events of the night of the eruption and the days that followed, in relation to the environment that you're standing in.  While only one person died (an old man, (likely wrongly) accused of being a looter), the fear was palpable - because the volcano was supposed to be extinct, and there was no warning whatsoever (the only quakes were too small to be felt, and didn't look to seismologists like an eruption precursor).  People just went to sleep one night next to an "extinct" volcano in the middle of their normal lives, and then suddenly there were 150-meter-high fountains of lava right next to them.  And they were stuck, because the harbour was the only way out, there were thousands of people, and there was no evacuation plan.  Fishing boats - both from the island and from elsewhere in the country - were packed full of people, infants to the sick to the elderly, to get them out.

There's all sorts of little "slice of life" things scattered across the island, since the eruption changed things so utterly.  One of my favorite examples is just a little marker on a lava field.  A sign talks about the history of swimming on Heimaey - how they'd been on this many-decades-long struggle to get a proper public swimming pool, and each attempt never went anywhere for one reason or another.  And then they finally, *finally* managed to get the money for it, and built it, one of the nicest pools in Iceland.

And then the next day, Eldfell erupted.  The lava under the marker is over a dozen meters thick.

BTW, the picture in your link, of an arch with a cross sticking out of the tephra?  It says "I Live, And You Will Live"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:32:29 PM by KarenRei »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »
Oscar, I hope you stay safe and your property gets spared. This must be an extremely frightening event for all on the island.

Simon

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 09:29:35 PM »
I hope Oscar and all you guys near the flow area are safe and your property untouched 🙏 sad to see such devestation in Kauai with the floods and now you guys on Big Island 😢

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 09:37:59 PM »
I hope Oscar & All are safe too on the Island.

There are many videos after all of the 1973 spraying of seawater on the lava in Eldfell eruption. This BBC video is the clearest and has the 1973 events along with current events:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blDXgde1Tpg

I really liked this Video showing zoomed in closeup lava flow & describing what is in the flow & remaining rocks etc.
Fantastic Icelandic volcano footage from David Attenborough's documentary on Iceland's volcanoes. Filmed at Eldfell Heimaey, during an eruption that started on January 23rd 1973. He also gives some nice information. Worth watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRD4YZx3g2k

This video has the best compilation of old and new events with different plate movements etc. & talking of air traffic & sulfur gas  emissions/ash/etc. and it is more current with best picture quality from BBC
Iceland scenic views &World discussion of volcanic activity/future events etc. BBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blDXgde1Tpg
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:24:51 AM by palmcity »

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 11:16:26 PM »
Funny, the second video is blocked in Iceland, of all places. I'm watching the first video and keep cringing at the bad pronunciation, mixing up of place names and other such things  ;)

Are there any sites that are mapping where the lava flows in Hawaii have reached?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:26:35 PM by KarenRei »