Author Topic: Ideas for fruiting plants that produce in under one year?  (Read 3036 times)

willpollinateforfood

• United States, Connecticut, USDA hardiness zone 6
    • View Profile
Ideas for fruiting plants that produce in under one year?
« on: May 02, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »
I am always looking for exciting new fruits, vegetables, herbs that I cannot get at a supermarket that can fruit in a container before the frost comes in Connecticut, our season is pretty short so I am open to suggestions for new fruit endeavors. This year, I have Poha (variety of cape gooseberries), pepino melon (solanum muricatum), naranjilla (solanum quitoense), and camellia sinensis (tea plants) and laurus nobilis (bay leaf). The last two I mentioned will be kept indoors for years to come over the winter.

Does anyone have favorite container annuals to add to this list?

Thanks,
Kelly!

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for fruiting plants that produce in under one year?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »
Not a fruit but have you tried Jerusalem artichoke? It's a decent tuber imo and very pretty flowers like daisy sized sunflowers. Only problem is the are very tall over 6ft and spread like crazy. I would be interested to see how they do in a container like a 50L crate I'm sure they would work well.

How short is your warm season and how cold do you get?
Hmm annual fruits are not super common I can think mostly of solanum family stuff. Cape gooseberry is great but pretty tart for me.

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

willpollinateforfood

• United States, Connecticut, USDA hardiness zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:57:46 PM »
I love Jerusalem artichokes, the tubers are crisp and nutty. About a decade ago, a few wild Jerusalem artichokes would sprout in the middle of my raspberry patch so weeding at the end of the summer was never more rewarding! I wish I still had some in my yard. My zone says the average winter low is -10F. The winters are variable, but typically some extremely cold weeks, wind chill down to -20F the last two years.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:51:23 AM »
Yeah they are hard to contain but weeding and harvesting are done in one so it's great ha ha

Try this site they really have a massive database and they are focused on temperate and colder climes more than tropical or subtropicals :)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau